Guys, what fitness tracker do you use?

I have my old faithful polar ft7 that i have had for several years. The wife has a fit bit. I was wondering if there is anything out there that can give me accurate data like my polar gives me without having to wear a chest strap all day. I know there are under armour, polars, fitbits, etc. Just curious.

Thanks

Replies

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Garmin Fenix 3 for me, but that is a multi-sports watch with wrist-based HRM. Also got a Fitbit Surge (retired) which worked really well (and gave me many more burned calorie count than the Fenix :) )
  • KatyBell164
    KatyBell164 Posts: 104 Member
    Fitbit charge hr :)
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    I jumped on the fitbit band wagon. Got myself a fitbit blaze set it all up put my details in etc and it pretty much gives me the same info mfp gave me so i synced them both. It's definately motivated me to move more. Gives me a lower burned calorie amount the the same info put into mfp but that's because it reads your heartbeat.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    im not a guy. but thanks.

i have the charge 2 or whatever its called. I basically only use it to estimate calories burned. its much much more conservative than mfp or gym machines, and seems to be more accurate based on my current weight loss trends.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    Middle aged woman here ...

I use Strava.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    I am a Fitbit user but heavily considering something with a strap to see the calorie difference in daily burn
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Fitbit Charge 2.

For what it's worth, heart rate monitors like Polars are only supposed to be worn during exercise, not all day, as they won't be accurate.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    iofred wrote: »
    Garmin Fenix 3 for me, but that is a multi-sports watch with wrist-based HRM. Also got a Fitbit Surge (retired) which worked really well (and gave me many more burned calorie count than the Fenix :) )

Wow that's one crazy investment @iofred 5 bills is a pretty ugly number :smile: ... I'm assuming yours doesn't have a strap either, how can u be sure that calorie count is correct?
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Tomtom Spark Cardio.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, heart rate monitors like Polars are only supposed to be worn during exercise, not all day, as they won't be accurate.

Yes ... they aren't meant for calorie counting. They're meant to help a person discover their workout/training zones.

Google Carmichael Training Systems (CTS) and Friel (Joe Friel) for more information on zones.

• iofred
    iofred wrote: »

Wow that's one crazy investment @iofred 5 bills is a pretty ugly number :smile: ... I'm assuming yours doesn't have a strap either, how can u be sure that calorie count is correct?

It was a crazy investment, but it looks good as well, which helped :) (why else do people buy Rolex, or have and a running watch + cycle computer, so to me it is worth it :) ... or so my justification goes)... the calorie count of the Fenix I am certain is not (always) correct, but as it provides "lower than expected" (trust me, I have tried it against other trackers, including chest HRM-applied trackers :( (at one stage I was running around with 2 straps and 3 watches ... guilty geek)) and the Fenix was sometimes way off. But as it is providing less calories it actually means if you eat back your recorded calorie intake you have less to eat :) ...
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    I dont wear the strap all day... haha. I have once i think to see what my bmr was in accordance with the formulas. It was pretty much spot on. I do like the versatility of the polar as it serves as my daily watch as well.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I love my Apple Watch - but it's only really worth it if you want the other features as well as the fitness tracking aspect.
    I'm not tracking my calories at the moment, but when I was, the cals from the watch seemed pretty accurate - I lost at about the expected rate when I ate what MFP suggested and I had the Apple Watch linked.
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have a polar A300 - It does the whole step counting, activity monitor, calories, sleep thing AND you can use it with the chest strap for when you are getting your exercise on. It also has a vibrating alarm (helpful at 4:30am for not waking up the hubs) and you can get notifications like texts and calls (you can't RESPOND via your watch like say an apple watch). I've had mine a year and I love it!

edited to add - The h7 strap I use with my A300 also synchs to some of the machines at the gym I go to. Funny the elliptical overestimates calories burned and the treadmill underestimates. I'm pretty happy to be able to use the chest strap for better accuracy...
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive and am very pleased with it. In addition to the standard step counting and sleep tracking, it has GPS which I use for running. It also has basic smartphone interactivity, downloadable watch faces and apps. Quite a neat piece of kit for under $150.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    I've worn the fitbit zip for about 3 years. This Christmas I upgraded to the charge2. I love it. I purchased a blaze for my daughter and she really likes it too. I've stuck with fitbit because of their amazing customer service.
  • Jakiracki
    Jakiracki Posts: 62 Member
    Fit bit charge hr
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Vivoactive HR. Waterproof (matters to me) HRM and GPS. Plus I can download golf courses to it.
    Wear it 23/7. Take it off to charge while I eat breakfast and shower.
  • iofred
    "I've stuck with fitbit because of their amazing customer service" ... that is a true statement indeed. They are fantastic for customer service.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have my old faithful polar ft7 that i have had for several years. The wife has a fit bit. I was wondering if there is anything out there that can give me accurate data like my polar gives me without having to wear a chest strap all day. I know there are under armour, polars, fitbits, etc. Just curious.

Thanks

I don't wear an all day activity tracker...I use my Garmin 510 for my rides and I can keep track of my HR, speed, distance, cadence, elevation gain, etc just to name a few. I also use Strava so that my coach can follow me.

Keep in mind that your polar device is not going to be accurate for all day wear in terms of energy expenditure...it is a HR monitor, not an all day activity tracker...it will provide you with a reasonable estimate of energy expenditure for a steady state cardiovascular workout.