Advice needed

Right now I'm doing a super low carb diet because I want to slim down (approx. 20 lbs) But I want to keep a curvy shape. I want to get my butt bigger and rounder, slim my thighs, and of course waist. Does anyone know some good exercises for these things? I'm starting out slow...doing treadmill with incline, squats, sit ups, planks at home right now. But in a few weeks I'd like to up it a bit to start burning at a faster rate. Right now, I'm not in great shape...but I figure in a few weeks, I'll be ready.

Replies

• RyanSapp
    RyanSapp Posts: 9 Member
    Weighted hip thrusts will build that booty right up!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Look up strong curves. There is a beginner and advanced program
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    If low carb works for you great, but it is not necessary to lose weight... just be sure you are eating in a deficit, getting enough protein (0.8-1g per lean body mass), and yes definitely recommend lifting using a program like Strong Curves to retain the muscle . Not sure if you go to a gym or workout at home or what kind of equipment you have, but it has a variety of programs and substitutions you can make work with what you have.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    If your goal is slimming down, a calorie deficit is key. You definitely do not need low carb to do that. If you want to keep your curves, you may not be able to cut down as much as you would like (some of the curves might be created by having extra fat). Like others have said, having a program with stronger low body focus will help perk up those areas, but you will be limited on muscle growth in a deficit, and even more so being low carb.
  • jbarry1506
    jbarry1506 Posts: 1,512 Member
    Bear in mind that for muscle to grow, a person's body actually needs carbs to work in tandem with protein, especially in your 20-30 minute post workout metabolic window. The recommended ratio is 4:1, carbs:protein after a workout. A protein shake and a teaspoon of flax seed before bed is also helpful, because we build muscle while we sleep.
    Going low carb may reduce the number on the scale and make you 'skinnier', but you may also see an increase in your body fat percentage because your body is cannibalizing its muscle store.
    Some good places to do research on this are AthleanX and Bodybuilding dot com.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2017
    jbarry1506 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that for muscle to grow, a person's body actually needs carbs to work in tandem with protein, especially in your 20-30 minute post workout metabolic window. The recommended ratio is 4:1, carbs:protein after a workout. A protein shake and a teaspoon of flax seed before bed is also helpful, because we build muscle while we sleep.
    Going low carb may reduce the number on the scale and make you 'skinnier', but you may also see an increase in your body fat percentage because your body is cannibalizing its muscle store.
    Some good places to do research on this are AthleanX and Bodybuilding dot com.

The metabolic window is over exaggerated. Some of the more research reviews from Alan Aragon, Brad Scheonfeld, James Kreiger would suggest that there may be a benefit of consuming protein pre or post workout within a 2 hour time frame, but more research is needed. But generally, if you are eating adequate protein in total, and spread it out, you may be in a good position.

And the bold is complete broscience. It ignores total protein consumption and training.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Right now I'm doing a super low carb diet because I want to slim down (approx. 20 lbs) But I want to keep a curvy shape. I want to get my butt bigger and rounder, slim my thighs, and of course waist. Does anyone know some good exercises for these things? I'm starting out slow...doing treadmill with incline, squats, sit ups, planks at home right now. But in a few weeks I'd like to up it a bit to start burning at a faster rate. Right now, I'm not in great shape...but I figure in a few weeks, I'll be ready.

As other have said. Eating in a deficit to lose fat, use a resistance program like strong curves to help retain muscle.

Know that planks and situps can help retain but will not slim your waist as that falls back to eating in a deficit. You cannot burn fat with exercise per sae.
  • jbarry1506
    edited February 2017
    psuLemon wrote:
    And the bold is complete broscience. It ignores total protein consumption and training.

Are you saying that ketosis is broscience?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote:

Ketosis is a metabolic state.. it doesn't mean it's catabolizing muscle mass. In fact, many keto diets can be muscle sparring is training and protein is adequate.
  • jbarry1506
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote:

Ketosis is a metabolic state.. it doesn't mean it's catabolizing muscle mass. In fact, many keto diets can be muscle sparring is training and protein is adequate.

Fair enough. Not trying to take over the thread. I'll do more research. Thanks for the correction :smile:
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    WOW lots of advice. I'm doing low carb AND low calories for the most part. Weekends I have wound up failing but weekdays I'm good. Right now I'm working out at home. I have a treadmill and I do pushups, sit-ups, squats and I try to stretch. I will look up strong curves.

Does anyone know of anyone who literally built up their butt? I'm curious to know if it's even a real possibility.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    RyanSapp wrote: »
    Weighted hip thrusts will build that booty right up!!

I will try this when I start hitting the gym.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    WOW lots of advice. I'm doing low carb AND low calories for the most part. Weekends I have wound up failing but weekdays I'm good. Right now I'm working out at home. I have a treadmill and I do pushups, sit-ups, squats and I try to stretch. I will look up strong curves.

Does anyone know of anyone who literally built up their butt? I'm curious to know if it's even a real possibility.

I did. However, not while losing weight. It took me a bulk cycle running Strong Curves plus a bit of time at maintenance recomping to really see any difference in that area.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

You don't need low carb to shred body fat...

if you want to build up your butt then you are going to need a calorie surplus and a structured plan like strong curves....
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

I used to have a severe case of nassatol. Five months of deadlifts, squats and lunges, and my girlfriend has commented on it more than once.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2017

How low of calories are we talking? If you have an aggressive weight loss plan, inadequate protein and a poor program, you would expect things to get worse.

Also, don't just do random moves, get something structured and progressively overloading the muscle.
  • laurenmoore44
    laurenmoore44 Posts: 12 Member

It's definitely a possibility! I'm far from where I'd like to be but I have been able to make (some) progress in my glutes :)i4a8d41abb7f.jpg
    The fact of the matter is: it's extremely difficult to build muscle on a calorie deficit. Some say it's impossible unless you are very obese and there are a few other circumstances. However, not many. In my experience, this has been true. I was in a deficit for a long time and saw absolutely zero lower body progress until I reached (at least) maintenance. I'm currently reverse dieting and in a small surplus and it has helped tremendously. I know you want to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but maybe look into first building up your muscle then cutting fat or vice versa. As far as exercises? Train heavy! Your muscles require the stress of the weight to damage them so they can build themselves up stronger (and bigger). Hip thrusts, deadlifts, squats, cable kickbacks, and lunges are the way to go. Just make sure you are using an adequate weight. (8-12 reps). Hope this helps!

• alekkammer
    alekkammer Posts: 198 Member
    Look into kinobody goddess program. It's amazing for weight loss and toning and building curves
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Butt = Glutes. A lot of the people I see though have genetic tendency to store more fat on their butts on lower fat percentages compared to say their belly, so with some workout they "pop out".

It is still possible to build butts though but needs a lot of work if you're not a person that stores a lot of fat there. For Glutes, I would recommend, Squats, Deadlifts, Hip Thrusts, Glute Cable Pull Throughs.

Excellent Guide to Hip Thrusts:

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited February 2017

As for your diet preference, it doesn't matter really as long as you get around 0.8 grams (some say 1.2 grams) per your body weight in pounds. Rest can be carb too, or more protein. It depends on your personal preference, and whichever diet makes you feel more energetic.
    Keeping the "curvy" shape will depend on how serious of a muscle exercise you will be doing (and it doesn't happen over weeks, happens over months, you need to commit to it), and your genetics as to where you store your fat.