TV is hard to watch without eating

12346»

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I never got the appeal of eating in front of the tv. If I eat I don't even pay attention to the tv lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I never got the appeal of eating in front of the tv. If I eat I don't even pay attention to the tv lol

It's a hard habit to break..

I don't get these people who colour, knit, crochet or browse the internet while they're watching tv. Why bother turning the tv on in the first place if you're concentrating on something else entirely.
  • tufntender
    tufntender Posts: 98 Member
    I either save about 150 calories or so and snack on some skittles or a fun size candy bar but that is usually only once a week. Normally, I eat Grapes, and strawberries often and I found these red white and blue type ice cream pops at the dollar tree, they are really good and only have 40 calories. I usually like fruity stuff so that is my problem, very rarely do I crave chocolate.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    So don't waste time watching tv. Do something else.

So because someone is having problems breaking habit of snacking whilst watching TV, TV is a waste of time or something she should no longer do?

Not following that logic.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Crochet and knitting! Keeping my hands busy helps me not eat.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2017

So because someone is having problems breaking habit of snacking whilst watching TV, TV is a waste of time or something she should no longer do?

There is a precedent:

And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out. It's better to enter the Kingdom of God with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,

Mark 9:47

And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Matthew 5:30
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Take up knitting. You have to keep your hands clean to not get your yarn dirty. If you get a craving, do another row or two first. By then you may have forgotten the urge.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

There is a precedent:

And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out. It's better to enter the Kingdom of God with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,

And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

I do not understand what these quotes have to do with this thread.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

I don't get these people who colour, knit, crochet or browse the internet while they're watching tv. Why bother turning the tv on in the first place if you're concentrating on something else entirely.

I don't actually need my attention on my knitting since I pick easy/repetitive patterns for those times, meaning I only need an occasional glance down to check that I'm still right. If something particularly interesting is happening, my hands will fully still but keep the needles and thread in hands, ready to start again once the excitement has passed.

It is a matter of practice / picking the right pattern to keep going. :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    edited February 2017

You don't actually have to watch the TV to know what's going on. I watch just enough to see each of the characters in a show, so I can match voice with person ... and then I more or less listen. I look up now and then if it sounds like there's action taking place without conversation ... like someone digging through an office looking for the hidden map or whatever.

Maybe I do it that way because I didn't have a TV growing up, but my family did listen to radio stories. We had a radio station that played the old ones like The Shadow and similar.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    I like the idea of exercising or doing something productive while watching t.v. i never eat mindlessly in front of the t.v. but I have been watching too much.... so yes.. exercise..even during commercials would be a good idea.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    You could find something to do with your hands that you don't need to use too much mental power for such as knitting or crocheting. As long as you aren't working on an intricate pattern, you won't have a problem to do it while watching tv.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    As I said my grandmother always knitted front of Tv - and like posters above could do so barely looking at the knitting itself.

that wouldnt work for me - any knitting I do needs my full concentration - as I imagine is the case for most novice level knitters.

This excercising etc at same time because you dont really need to concentrate on the TV wouldnt work for me either - I only watch shows I do want to concentrate on.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Regarding the exercise ... I do commercial intervals.

So I ride my bicycle on the trainer, and during the show, I sit up, ride moderately, and watch the show ... then during the commercial, I ride as hard as I can. Some of those commercial breaks are long! Then the show comes back on again and I sit up and ride moderately again while watching the show, and repeat for anywhere from 30 to 75 minutes.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member

There is a precedent:

Cut off your hands and you'll stop eating chips. Also, if you gauge out your eyes, no tv and hence no snacking.

The Bible is a fantastic dieting aid ;)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »

There is a precedent:

Cut off your hands and you'll stop eating chips. Also, if you gauge out your eyes, no tv and hence no snacking.

The Bible is a fantastic dieting aid ;)

Yep, that's the reference
  • Kdewit03
    Kdewit03 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2017
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I realized that I just really don't enjoy the food I eat while watching TV as much as the food I eat when I don't.
  • Kdewit03
    Kdewit03 Posts: 4 Member
    This hits the nail on the head I think it is just habitat like everything when it comes to this weight loss plan. I will need to relearn not to eat or save the snack
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    pitegny wrote: »
    I also think that having your dinner a little later helps. I live in France, which has one of the lowest obesity rates in the world despite their pastries and sauces. (I gained most of my weight on visits to family in the USA.) One of the reasons they don't snack in the evening is because the dinner hour is between 7 and 8 pm. What I am doing is planning a light MFP friendly snack for around 5 pm, like hummus and vegetable or one really chocolately cookie, which I preplan into my calorie quota for the day. That tides me over to the dinner hour and I don't have any yen for food after that, whether I watch TV or not.

Bravo! Votre conseil est tres sage.