too "bulky"?

Replies

• laurenmoore44
    laurenmoore44 Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you all for your feedback! It's been very helpful :)
  • laurenmoore44
    laurenmoore44 Posts: 12 Member
    I think you look great, very inspirational.... care to share your exercise routine?!
    I'm going to add you :)

Good luck with the PT :smiley:
    Sure! I'm currently performing a 6-day push/pull/legs split with 2 HIIT sessions & 1 steady state cardio session per week.
  • The pictures inspire and give credibility to you as a trainer about hard work and dedication. I think they are perfect.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    You look great but I have a feeling many women would think the second picture is "too much". People that are not in shape have a warped view on "normal" or what is too muscular.

... sorry? Just because we might not like that look on females doesn't mean that we have a 'warped view on what's normal' or 'are not in shape'.

Sheesh.

OP, you're a personal trainer. You look perfect for your job. Don't even sweat it. I'm a bit confused though, they'll meet you eventually, so do the pictures really matter?
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    I think you're very lean.. I'm described as bulky and you look like what I'm hoping to look like after my cut cycle.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    I think you're very lean.. I'm described as bulky and you look like what I'm hoping to look like after my cut cycle.

i agree that OP is very lean , not bulky.

to be honest though, now i've thought about it and seen other peoples posts, i agree that for a normal overweight person, they're probably not going to help sell OP's services. however, as a reasonably fit person, if i was looking to get lean i would totally go for someone who looked like that as a PT.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    You look very fit. By no means masculine!Your pics look great
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Btw... what are you doing friday?..... lol
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Far from bulky. Lean, fit and definition looks great. I might have hired when I started out. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You can't and won't appeal to all potential clients.
    Some clients will like your look and if it matches their personal ambitions that may be a factor they take into account and for some it won't be a factor and they will choose based on other criteria (qualifications, experience, personality etc.)
    At my last gym the best PT (IMHO) had a pretty unimpressive physique but really knew his stuff and was a good coach too. He tended to attract more of the "toning" crowd and not those with high physique or strength goals.

There's a couple of really big/muscular PTs at my current gym, their clientele tends to have a specific demographic looking for size and aesthetics.
    A powerlifting PT gets more people who are purely strength focussed.
    There's also an couple of older PTs (almost as old as me!) who have a very different clientele base.

"People like me" is a very powerful thing, consciously and unconsciously. Think you are sensible to consider the marketing side of the pictures you advertise yourself with. Just a thought - perhaps wearing a T shirt rather than a vest may broaden your appeal to potential clients?

BTW - I think you look great, lean and fit.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I agree with the comments to the effect of "you can't please all the people all the time" and "you look great".

That said, I think that the most compelling picture is going to be a clear, smiling face (just like your current profile pic). Whatever demographic you're shooting for, most people respond well to a smiling face. In my brief time in a sales related field the mantras of the old pros were "people buy from people they like", and "big smile and firm handshake gets you half way there".

Side note: In electronic marketing the rule was there should always be a clear call to action with every email, txt, webpage, Instagram post etc. Something like "click below to arrange a free no obligation consultation" or "Call me on 1234-5678 and tell me what you're working towards".

Good luck with it all.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Some clients will like your look and if it matches their personal ambitions that may be a factor they take into account and for some it won't be a factor and they will choose based on other criteria (qualifications, experience, personality etc.)
    At my last gym the best PT (IMHO) had a pretty unimpressive physique but really knew his stuff and was a good coach too. He tended to attract more of the "toning" crowd and not those with high physique or strength goals.

There's a couple of really big/muscular PTs at my current gym, their clientele tends to have a specific demographic looking for size and aesthetics.
    There's also an couple of older PTs (almost as old as me!) who have a very different clientele base.

"People like me" is a very powerful thing, consciously and unconsciously. Think you are sensible to consider the marketing side of the pictures you advertise yourself with. Just a thought - perhaps wearing a T shirt rather than a vest may broaden your appeal to potential clients?

I agree with this. I would come to you because you clearly would be capable to work on my goals with me. I say you do you and you'll not only attract clients that want to work with you but also clients YOU want to work with...
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    I feel that you are a bit too lean, but that's just my opinion
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

cosigning this all the way
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    ^^This

It bowls down to which clientele you would like to attract.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    I think you look great, but I agree the average persons view is a little skewed. Before I ever started anything resembling fitness I had a huge girl crush on Zuzka Light, but I remember thinking her shoulders and upper back were super huyoooge. Years later I compete in powerlifting. My upper back could eat hers for breakfast, and I think she looks downright dainty. I still would have hired her back then though. Her body is bangin!