Superslimmers: Did They Really Keep the Weight Off?

Anyone else watching this on Channel 4? Really interesting, and features Danny Cahill from The Biggest Loser USA.

Replies

• hazels1973
    hazels1973 Posts: 8 Member
    Yes I am, but feeling quite depressed actually. The message I'm getting is that it's pointless as we'll just put it back on and more because of bloody hormones..Grrrrrr
    That would partly explain why sticking to under 1200 calories and exercising daily I'm not losing any weight or inches.. I've plateaued
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    edited February 2017
    I found it a little depressing as well to be honest and like @kpkitten I expected some kind of conclusion, some kind of guideline as to what would be the right approach then.
    And the fella that managed to keep the weight off, ditched his job and became a personal trainer working out 2 hours a day. Not exactly representative for the ordinary Joe Bloggs losing weight (and keeping it off).

I lost about 16 kilos back in 2011 and have kept 13/14 kilos off to date. I'm still eternally chasing those last 3 kilos, forever fluctuating between 60-64 kg. But I suppose I am maintaining reasonably successful. It's definitely a life-long thing though, which is slightly disappointing. I really would have thought that at this stage it would just be natural for me.
  • hazels1973
    Thankuuuuu for the reassurance everyone. I am being realistic and I'm making a life change not just a diet for a couple of months. I feel stronger fitter have dropped a dress size toned up and sleeping much better. The 1200 calories setting is what this app set me for a what I thought would be a sensible 2lb loss a week.
    The changes I've made, want to continue with I think are sustainable and hope with the continued exercise and daily activity and the current cutting back will get me to lose the weight sensibly.
    I've never used an app, or group to lose weight before and the super slimmers' programme made me cross and I felt the experts were saying I was wasting my time trying to get healthier and thinner.
    Thankuuuuu again
  • hazels1973
    Oh and I haven't been using this app everyday. I started my life change on 1st Jan so I'm about 7 weeks in not 1 week as one member said. I've lost 2lbs a week except for last 2weeks.
  • timma300
    timma300 Posts: 25 Member
    hazels1973 wrote: »
    Oh and I haven't been using this app everyday. I started my life change on 1st Jan so I'm about 7 weeks in not 1 week as one member said. I've lost 2lbs a week except for last 2weeks.

Weight loss isn't linear. Sounds like what you've been doing has been consistently working so far, just keep up the good work! As long as you are accurately tracking your calories and eating under your maintenance, you will continue to lose over time. Maintenance works the same way, you just eat the number of calories required to maintain your weight. Nothing complicated about it, and medical conditions aside, hormones will not make you regain weight. Eating more calories than your maintenance does that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I found it a little depressing as well to be honest and like @kpkitten I expected some kind of conclusion, some kind of guideline as to what would be the right approach then.
    And the fella that managed to keep the weight off, ditched his job and became a personal trainer working out 2 hours a day. Not exactly representative for the ordinary Joe Bloggs losing weight (and keeping it off).

I lost about 16 kilos back in 2011 and have kept 13/14 kilos off to date. I'm still eternally chasing those last 3 kilos, forever fluctuating between 60-64 kg. But I suppose I am maintaining reasonably successful. It's definitely a life-long thing though, which is slightly disappointing. I really would have thought that at this stage it would just be natural for me.

Not that one needs to do 2 hours per day, but there is a pretty strong correlation between regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight. I typically spend about 8 hours per week exercising...more if I'm training for an endurance event.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

how much do you have to lose? if its less than 25 lbs then 2 lbs may be too aggressive and the less weight you have to lose the slower its going to be anyway.heck I went 6+ months without any weight loss before and I weigh EVERYTHING.
  • hazels1973
    Thankuuuuu everyone..New start tmw! And promise not to get too down!!
    In answer to Tracey I wanted to lose 2 stone but have lost 12lbs so far so all good...And it's more important for me to keep that off!
    I think from what everyone is saying I may stop obsessing, stop weighing and be strict on tracking what I am eating which I have done today. Let's see at end of Feb where I am
    Off to boxercise now!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Thankuuuuu everyone..New start tmw! And promise not to get too down!!
    In answer to Tracey I wanted to lose 2 stone but have lost 12lbs so far so all good...And it's more important for me to keep that off!
    I think from what everyone is saying I may stop obsessing, stop weighing and be strict on tracking what I am eating which I have done today. Let's see at end of Feb where I am
    Off to boxercise now!

yeah thats the way to go. I started losing some again last month so I just keep plugging away lol. you can too. it can be aggravating at times but so worth it in the long run
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Two stone really is doable @hazels1973 and you're practically half-way already!
    Log religiously, you'll get handier and quicker at it with time and the weight WILL come off, I promise you that.

When I'm maintaining, I don't log, but I generally know what I'm taking in. I also give myself a weight range, I will allow myself to fluctuate, up to a certain point. When I reach that point, it's time to regain control and I will log again for as long as it takes to get back to my acceptable weight range. That's my way to ensure I will never regain again. I'm good now, and don't need to log, but I do still log in every day, just as a little reminder to myself.

And yes @cwolfman13 I fully agreed that regular exercise must be part of your life, I see it as a chore like brushing your teeth, however I don't think this needs to be 2 hours a day!