Tips for getting used to outdoor running?

2»

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I also started on the TM since I began running in mid-summer. My first few outdoor runs were difficult, especially since I live in a hilly area. It really didn't take long to get used to the outdoors though. For a while I did about half and half indoor and outdoor. Now I'll run outdoors if the weather isn't absolutely awful, because it feels so much easier mentally. On the TM, I am constantly looking at the display, willing the miles to pass more quickly. I constantly change the speed or incline, to make it more interesting. Outdoors, the roads vary constantly, so I don't get bored. I slow down going up hills, speed up going down. I find that I can go faster outdoors, because of that variation in pace. I enjoy looking around and observing the changes in the world around me as the seasons change.

It does take a while to learn how to run by effort though, instead of a set pace. I still have a hard time with that sometimes. I tell myself to slow down, but somehow the pace ends up more moderate than truly easy. When I have to do a long run on the TM, my pace is significantly slower than my pace outside, because the machine controls it. It usually feels easier at the end. But I don't enjoy it as much. Doing some speed work can help you learn what hard and easy feel like, or what a sustainable moderately hard pace feels like, which will help you figure out what a truly easy easy run should feel like.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    also, it should be noted that treadmill machines are notorious for being inaccurate when it comes to pace.

I do about 12-20 hours of cardio a week. 10 of it is usually inside with a treadmill and the stairs in my building (54 floors!). I have very few problems transitioning outside, which I usually spend 3 to 10 hours on my long day, usually in the mountains.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Do the c25k app outdoors to ease into it. You might be able to begin at week 2 or 3 since you've already been running inside. Make sure you are dressed properly. Dress for about 10-20 degrees warmer than the thermometer says. You might be chilly at first, but you'll warm up quickly. Don't run in awful weather, whatever that means to you, until you decide that you like to do so. No point to make it worse than necessary!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I agree that you probably need to slow down until you get more used to dealing with the differences in surfaces, terrain, wind factor, navigating etc that you need to do outside but not on a treadmill.
    Also that music can help you stay on pace... maybe someone can remember the name of the app that syncs your music into a specified pace?

As for the Zombie app - try it and see if you like it. I tried it for a while and thought it was the most stupid thing ever.. but clearly you have to decide that for yourself. I love to listen to audiobooks or podcasts when I run but music is better to keep me on track.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    I stared with c25k on a treadmill, over winter because it was too cold to go outside. Now I don't care how cold it is, I would still far rather be running outside.

I run faster outside, and I find the treadmill starts to hurt when I am being held at a constant pace. Running outside means I am constantly changing my pace to cope with changing terrain, and running off-road means my muscles are getting a good workout in stabilising my foot rather than slapping one foot in front of the other on a hard surface.

The best way to get used to running outside is just to run outside. To be honest I wouldn't try using music to start with (I listen to podcasts on longer runs), but use the time running to listen to the world around you, and also focus on HOW you are running - thing about your posture, try different arm movements to see how much your arms relate to your running and running speed. Above all enjoy it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Also that music can help you stay on pace... maybe someone can remember the name of the app that syncs your music into a specified pace?

RockMyRun