Fitbit Advantage yes or no?

13»

Replies

• LoeyJones
    LoeyJones Posts: 28 Member
    I have a Fitbit Charge 2 (just upgraded from my original charge about 2 months ago) and I also have a Garmin Forerunner 15. I wore both for a long time trying to see which was more accurate. I've found that the Garmin does better for tracking runs but overall I prefer the options on my Fitbit (especially sleep tracking as I've always struggled with sleep.) I actually upgraded to Fitbit Premium through their website and I like how it pushes me a little bit harder each day. I still wear my Garmin watch when I run (currently half marathon training) but for everyday I prefer and would recommend the Fitbit.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    I love fitbit. I have the zip for about 3 years, and now I upgraded to the charge2. I also bought my daughter the blaze. All are very good and motivate me. I also don't feel like I got anything accomplished if I don't see it. And I agree with another poster I do not understand how anyone could complain about their customer service, they have the best customer service I've ever come upon.
  • leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    I love fitbit. I have the zip for about 3 years, and now I upgraded to the charge2. I also bought my daughter the blaze. All are very good and motivate me. I also don't feel like I got anything accomplished if I don't see it. And I agree with another poster I do not understand how anyone could complain about their customer service, they have the best customer service I've ever come upon.

Agreed.. my pink band seemed to take on some of the dye from my black winter coat and it started to look dingy after a few days. No fault of the companies at all in my opinion. They sent me a new black band for free without any questions. Very impressed!
  • quintessential1
    quintessential1 Posts: 54 Member
    I don't mean to sound presumptuous however, today most smart phones have a fitbit app on them, so what is the difference between using ones phone verses a fitbit on your wrist?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I don't mean to sound presumptuous however, today most smart phones have a fitbit app on them, so what is the difference between using ones phone verses a fitbit on your wrist?

The Fitbit app works in conjunction with the device. Installing it on your phone won't track your steps unless you also have a Fitbit.
  • reducingrenee622
    reducingrenee622 Posts: 48 Member
    I have the Fitbit one and like it a lot. This is "technically" my second one, my first one quit syncing with my phone. I tried all the online help to get it working again, and nothing worked. Their customer service center is great. They sent me my current one, after realizing that none of the troubleshooting had worked. It was about a year and a half old when my original quit, and I'm about a year and a half with my current one.
  • LoeyJones
    LoeyJones Posts: 28 Member

If you mean that most smartphones have a pedometer built in (because the Fitbit app does not work unless you have a Fitbit device) - I think people prefer the wrist one because not everyone carries their phone in their hand when they walk or run. Your phone also doesn't track your heart rate or sleep cycles. It doesn't track active minutes or calories burned. That's why people choose fitness watches (be it Fitbit, Garmin, Apple Watch, etc.)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

When I used Google Fit (free smart phone app), it only picked up half my daily steps. I get a lot of incidental steps and I don't live with my phone in my pocket (and to do so would be a huge pain in the butt to me).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

I have the opposite issue as @SusanMFindlay. I have Pacer downloaded on my phone (iPhone 6) and it regularly counts at least 5000 steps MORE than my Fitbit does.

Example: Monday (my last day at work) Fitbit counted 10,800 steps (I have a Blaze and the only time it was off my body that day was when I showered). Pacer picked up 17,500 steps between about 5:45 AM and 3 PM. That's a massive difference.
  • sadiepie8705
    sadiepie8705 Posts: 20 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Having had a charge for a while I would advise you to spend your money on a Garmin or an Apple Watch. Fitbit products have major design flaws (for example the charge band cracks and it eventually won't charge properly which is why they discontinued it). It looks like the 2 has other issues, which usually conveniently show up after a year (which is out of warranty so they don't have to replace it)
    They actually agreed to replace mine, but only because I told them I knew the amount of BBB complaints they had against them and that they knowingly sold faulty products. Before I said that they just wanted to give me a 25% discount on a new one.
    Anyway, I would advise you to choose wisely. Those things are only designed to last for their warranty. If you do buy one, buy it from Costco. They will refund it after any amount of time if it breaks.

@Heartisalonelyhunter what issues does the charge 2 have? I fiff and faff about upgrading to the charge 2 from my Alta, but i just cant justify buying a HR monitor as my only exercise is walking, so it would probably be a waste of money.

You can google them. I didn't realize until mine went crazy how much of a widespread issue this is. I don't think they're at the same level as the Charge (because the 2 is new, plus at least you can replace the band) but it seems a lot of them already have the same issues (won't charge, won't sync with your phone, flashes on and off etc)

I've had five different Fitbit models, including the Charge HR. No problems whatsoever with any of them.

Same here! Including owning a Charge HR for two years! It was definitely heavily used. I never took it off except to shower and charge it! I loved that thing! I eventually upgraded to the blaze and love it too! Absolutely no issues ever with my Fitbit products.