The Battle Never Ends

Bundyman
Bundyman Posts: 42 Member
edited February 2017 in Success Stories
As a life long obese man, the struggles both physically and mentally have been a battle for nearly 50 years.

I was always overweight even as a child and like many of you I started and failed at weight loss over and over. It wasn't until I was diagnosed as a diabetic at a top weight of 448 pounds two years ago that something finally clicked. I think it was mostly a fear of dying too young or at the very least losing body parts to diabetes like my grandfather had.

I finally made a lifestyle change by eating less and exercising every day starting with walking up the street and back. Gradually the distances grew while my weight dropped. More importantly my blood sugars which had been controlled by medications eventually returned to normal and I no longer have to take meds as my weight loss has succeeded in eliminating my diabetes. It may return one day as it runs in my family but I will continue to work every day to keep my weight dropping and prolong that inevitablity.

Every day is a battle to control my eating and exercise but it's a battle I plan on winning this time.

What motivated you to finally commit to getting healthy? zoj0wq53ou5p.jpg

Replies

• ziggyOziggy
    ziggyOziggy Posts: 2 Member
    That's awesome congratulations on your success!!

I as well was an on again off again dieter for years! My final breaking point was my college graduation pictures. When I saw how fat I looked I was disgusted and ashamed. I didn't even purchase any of my pictures. I just knew that it was absolutely time to change my lifestyle. I never want to not capture memories of another important day in my life.
  • kimv1188
    kimv1188 Posts: 40 Member
    Great work!

I have been on and off the weight loss wagon for a lot of years. This year, my 35th birthday was approaching and I really started thinking about my health. I did not like being sore all the time because my joints just could not support the amount of weight I was asking them too. I finally figured that if I wanted to live a long life, then I needed to stop asking my body for miracles and start treating it better. I mean, it's gotten me this far, right? That is when I restarted MFP. It has been an uphill battle but I keep going.

Good luck to everyone!
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Outstanding results! I agree that each day is a battle and you have to keep fighting and "working" at it every day. The key is to keep fighting the battles so that you can win the war. I've been up and down the same 35lbs for the past 10 years, and I keep fighting everyday to make good choices and do what is best for my health. Some day I will look like the warrior I am building myself to be!
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Amazing work man. A true inspiration!
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    you look fantastic and what an achomplishment getting off diabetic meds. you must feel amazing!! kudos to you!!

my dad has Diabeties and is on dialysis due to complications of it. it is so sad and breaks my heart what he goes through everyday.

last may a week before my 40th bday I was depressed but didn't know it...hormones way out of wack and has told I was prediabetic and insulin resistant. it was sounding like what my dad went through on his 40th bday. I didn't want that so I cut out sugar and white flour on the reccomendation of the Dr. felt like garbage for a month. I'm down 66 pounds with the same left to loose and I'm no longer prediabetic. I feel amazing so much energy hormones regulated and no more depression.

when tje scale stops moving I try and remember I must eat this way to avoid Diabeties and that the drop in weight is a positive side effect.
  • norawaller
    norawaller Posts: 36 Member
    For me, it is a strong desire NOT to have to live out the rest of my life in a wheelchair and having others take care of me. I am an older Mom and want to be there for my future grandchildren. I did not have grandparents and my children do not have grandparents. I want it to be different for my future grandchildren. Congrats to you and keep up the good work!
  • Bundyman
    Bundyman Posts: 42 Member
    Health fears can be a great motivator to finally lose weight. It's sad that this is what it takes sometimes. I wish I'd found the motivation before it came to that but I'm healthier now at least.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I realized one day that I was living in fear....will that chair hold me? Can I squeeze in that booth? Can I make it up that hill or flight of stairs. It was a constant and unnecessary mental battle with myself. Maintenance has not been easy for me, but it's a heck of a lot better than where I came from.

I'm proud of you for fighting, great story.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    You're doing great! Congrats!
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    What motivated you to finally commit to getting healthy?

My youngest son told me at Thanksgiving that I always "blew them off" when family talked to me about my weight/health. I was 65 yo and weighed 376# it reminded me how my mother ignored my family's pleas to do something about her drinking. She died at age 54!

I promised I would do something. I was scheduled for WLS but joined WW instead.

For the first time I have NOT gained back any weight that I have lost over four years. I exercise by doing water aerobics. Swimming laps, and walking. I eat healthy and follow the WW SP plan.

SW 376 (2013 age 65)
    CW 221 age 69
    GW 186? TBD

I'm proof you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

LOVE IT!! Great job!!
  • lavender51
    lavender51 Posts: 41 Member
    You're all doing great!

I have yo yo'd over the years and lots of factors led to to keep trying and keep having new starts at weight loss.

Embarrassment was a big factor, I hated the way I looked. Not being able to wear the clothes I wanted and not even being able to go in certain shops as they didn't go up to my size felt so humiliating.

Last year I found the determination to do something and lost a lot of weight...about four stone....and felt great. I still needed to lose more but we went on a holiday to Australia and I ended up getting into bad eating habits again.

When I got back it felt so hard to get the motivation back. It's taken me months, but I'm back on track now and determined to get rid of the final four stone :)

I'm also afraid of diabetes and heart disease etc, so health is a big factor nowadays.

I love coming on here and reading the Success Stories. It's so inspiring :)

Well done to everyone!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!