Help with form

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm looking for websites that will help me with form. I've used the bodybuilding.com exercise database. I like that they have videos. Are there other sites you would recommend?

I have three trainers at my gym. They show me different form depending on who you talk to.

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    What exactly do you need help with that the trainer's in the gym couldn't do?
    Personally I'd rather have a live person observing my form for feedback.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Hi Dan,

Like I said above. The three trainers at my gym give conflicting information about weight lifting form. Wich of my live persons observing should I go with?
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    @fit_chickx what movements are they showing that are conflicting?
  • fit_chickx
    edited February 2017
    @JB035
    Example barbell squats.

1st trainer. Feet straight forward. Knee over feet. (told me not to deviate from foot position)
    2nd trainer. Feet angled out.

• JB035
    edited February 2017
    @fit_chickx your feet should track your knees. How ever that looks for your body type. I wouldn't add any weight until you get this figured out.

Let me see if I can find a good video for you to watch.

https://youtu.be/7v_V6xiA_AA
  • fit_chickx
    JB035 wrote: »
    @fit_chickx your feet should track your knees. How ever that looks for your body type. I wouldn't add any weight until you get this figured out.

Let me see if I can find a good video for you to watch.

https://youtu.be/7v_V6xiA_AA

Apreciate your time and help.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    mark rippetoe wrote a book called starting strength that might be helpful. it is kind of like an overload of information at first - took me months to get all the way through it. but on the other hand, he explains things instead of just laying down laws. and along the way he provides so much information in such a factual way that once you get your head around it you're left with lots to choose from in making your own calls for the way your own personal body is built.

the short answer is that i started lifting almost three years ago, and it's not like i've figured all of it out. but at this point i do look kind of squinny at anyone who insists that there is only One True Form that nobody should ever deviate from.

seems to me that there are principles that everyone should apply, but how each individual person arranges themselves so as to stick to those principles can vary for sure.
  • fit_chickx
    mark rippetoe wrote a book called starting strength that might be helpful. it is kind of like an overload of information at first - took me months to get all the way through it. but on the other hand, he explains things instead of just laying down laws. and along the way he provides so much information in such a factual way that once you get your head around it you're left with lots to choose from in making your own calls for the way your own personal body is built.

the short answer is that i started lifting almost three years ago, and it's not like i've figured all of it out. but at this point i do look kind of squinny at anyone who insists that there is only One True Form that nobody should ever deviate from.

seems to me that there are principles that everyone should apply, but how each individual person arranges themselves so as to stick to those principles can vary for sure.

Thanks for the information. I will look into the book.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    1st trainer. Feet straight forward. Knee over feet. (told me not to deviate from foot position)

Check this video, it is nicely detailed, and will teach you a lot. Sadly a lot of "trainers" in most gyms can't even squat themselves.

In case you have mobility issues, as most people that are new to the movement will, I would check this:

For more detailed critique, after watching the videos, and learning them by heart, and training with low weights to perfect them, you could post a video and I am sure there will be people helping out. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    If you want, you can also read: http://strengtheory.com/complete-strength-training-guide/

And his technique series on how to deadlift, squat, bench (should be on the side)
  • JB035
    It's sad that so many trainers have no idea how to move properly.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    subcounter wrote: »
    fit_chickx wrote: »

Check this video, it is nicely detailed, and will teach you a lot. Sadly a lot of "trainers" in most gyms can't even squat themselves.

In case you have mobility issues, as most people that are new to the movement will, I would check this:

For more detailed critique, after watching the videos, and learning them by heart, and training with low weights to perfect them, you could post a video and I am sure there will be people helping out. Good luck!

Alan Thrall's (untamed stength) videos on form are fantastic. He really goes into a lot of detail!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you want, you can also read: http://strengtheory.com/complete-strength-training-guide/

And his technique series on how to deadlift, squat, bench (should be on the side)

Seconded. Greg and Omar were great in this series.

What you'll notice is that there's a lot of flexibility with the lifts. Meaning: there are a handful of absolutes - but much of how you'll perform a lift is due to personal physiology and/or preference.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    For the core 5 lifts, I like the level of detail on the Stronglifts 5x5 site. Extremely detailed about how each portion of the body should be reacting, something I don't think you understand watching a video.