Yoga/meditation/relaxation

I'm looking for ways to relax and unwind. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on the above subject line?
Yoga from what I've seen seems relaxing but don't know anyone who has done it or mediation.

Thank you in advance

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    running works for me
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Yoga really helped me feel with the death of my father; it was a way for me to physically express my grief, get it to the surface, and work through it. I've never been good at meditation, I think the movement of yoga helps me more than anything.

See if any studios near you offer a free first class to newbies. You'll never know if it is right for you unless you try it.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Love it. Calms me and strengthens me, mentally and physically. Check out Yoga by Adrienne on Youtube or Bad Yogi's website. Both are free and are a great starting point. If a DVD is easier, anything by Rodney Yee is awesome. I found it easier to do a few at home first so I would feel more comfortable with basic poses before going to a public class but I think it depends on your social comfort level. I prefer to practice at home but it's good to go to a class once in a while to have someone else look over your form.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    I do yoga twice a week and have a regular meditation practice. Both are incredible at helping to relax and unwind. The meditation, depending on the type of practice (ex. Contemplation practices) may even help you understand the root cause(s) of you stress so that you can deal with them better throughout the day.
  • I think I'm the odd duck out that doesn't find yoga that relaxing - maybe I'm too self-conscious. What I find most relaxing are nature walks - with or without music.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    All workout does I think, even just a walk after dinner would do the trick. Find what you love doing the most then it can become a habit not a burden. :smile:
  • krwjohnson
    krwjohnson Posts: 46 Member
    Meditation works wonders for me. There is an app called headspace that is really great, especially if you are brand new to meditating.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    sleeping. and more sleeping. I find doing actual stretching to be much more efficient use of time and more relaxing for me vs yoga.
  • ifyouonlyknew1492
    ifyouonlyknew1492 Posts: 64 Member
    Thank you everyone! Very helpful!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited February 2017
    I think I'm the odd duck out that doesn't find yoga that relaxing - maybe I'm too self-conscious. What I find most relaxing are nature walks - with or without music.

Me neither. It is too stressful because I suck at it. And one of the instructors at my gym terrifies me so that just adds to my anxiety.

I also enjoy a nice walk or hike out in nature.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Find a local Buddhist center or temple... they are likely to offer free meditation classes.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    I think I'm the odd duck out that doesn't find yoga that relaxing

can't let you be odd by yourself. doesn't do it for me either. i don't mind it on my own, but i hate it among other people.
    I'm looking for ways to relax and unwind.

having said all that, my trainer got me thinking recently about 'diaphragm' breathing. nothing yoga about it; i'm just supposed to know how to do it already as part of strength training. i started practicing recently while waiting to fall asleep, and it turns out i don't have to wait very long.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Meditation, self hypnosis, and quiet walks.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Honestly I find activity where I get into a singularly focused state is relaxing to me - i.e. not thinking about anything other than the activity itself. I have done a little bit of mindfulness meditation though which helps to teach you to get into this sort of a state- it's different to relaxation meditation. The goal isn't so much relaxation as the ability to be present and aware of what you are feeling which leads to enlightenment and wisdom.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I just recently started doing yoga. I didn't want to shell out the money for classes since I'm already paying for a gym (that doesn't offer yoga :( ) Plus I wanted to see if I liked it before committing to anything. I found Adrienne on YouTube and I love it! I'm only doing her beginner video because I love it so much I don't want to move on. LOL. I find that it's not so much relaxing as it helps me stretch my tight and sore muscles from weight lifting and I need to increase my flexibility. I feel so loose and so much better afterward.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    krwjohnson wrote: »
    Meditation works wonders for me. There is an app called headspace that is really great, especially if you are brand new to meditating.

I see that Headspace is not free. But you can download the app (android) for free. So what happens and how much is the program? I can't seem to find that easily.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I recommend the Calm app... free, simple, not mystical crystal stuff.
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    edited February 2017
    krwjohnson wrote: »

I see that Headspace is not free. But you can download the app (android) for free. So what happens and how much is the program? I can't seem to find that easily.

I think you have to go to the website to subscribe. It gets cheaper the longer you commit. For me it was about £5 a month, I think, maybe £50-60 for the year.
    See this page (maybe different if you don't live in the U.K): https://www.headspace.com/buy

ETA: but don't forget to try the free Take Ten course first!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    I have anxiety and yoga really helps when I go. Very very calming and relaxing, same with meditation. Both are much harder than expected but worth the effort. Good luck!
  • anikasakina
    anikasakina Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2017
    Yoga is considered a form of meditation in the form of movement. I'm not sure if you're into astrology but I'm a cancer sun pisces moon, which means I'm always going within and don't need as much quiet sitting meditation. I use yoga as my meditation and i love it.

Oh, a good and challenging program is the ultimate yogi 108 day challenge. It's tough but boy oh boy am i in great form now!