Turmeric...Is it as beneficial as people say?

123457»

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Peace out, and good luck "detoxifying" your liver with glutathione and MSM...

LOL. You made me remember Carter's Little Liver Pills

(Yes, "I am old, I am old, I will wear my trousers rolled)

I must admit, I had to Google "Carter's Little Liver Pills"... ;)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    One thing that goes along with this thread is something I've seen a few times recently. If someone doesn't like the results of well done studies, they claim that there needs to be more studies done.
  • carrie1829
    carrie1829 Posts: 143 Member
    For me, it helps with my joint pain and as an added bonus it helps with my mood swings. I have many people including my hubby who now take this daily and it works great for all of us! Not sure what other benefits it has.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I have a really hard time with the idea that a spice could stop mood swings.. unless the pain you were in caused the mood swings and the anti inflammatory properties solved that thus making you less moody.. i dunno, i didnt read the whole thread through cause the anti inflammatory properties of it don't interest me lol i like advil.

Im a ranty, sometimes cranky old bag... maybe i should lay off on the chili powder.

:laugh:

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    One thing that goes along with this thread is something I've seen a few times recently. If someone doesn't like the results of well done studies, they claim that there needs to be more studies done.

I apologize if I missed them, were there 'well done studies'? I only saw the one link to the turmeric endorsing website, I didn't see any studies linked.
  • cmtigger
    Afura wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »

I apologize if I missed them, were there 'well done studies'? I only saw the one link to the turmeric endorsing website, I didn't see any studies linked.

A couple of us posted a link to a recent paper that analyzes the studies done on the active ingredient in tumeric. It found that in the well done studies that it did nothing.
  • cmtigger
    Is the active ingredient the one people keep saying is an anti inflammatory?

Yes
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I might try the capsules now for the anti-inflammatory properties.

As for weight loss? Nah. This thread did remind me that it's been far too long since I've made my vegetarian version of Nigella Lawson's Thai Chicken Noodle soup. It has turmeric in it and it's fabulous. I've made that while losing weight. Does that count?

Ooh, sounds yummy. Recipe please? (You know where to find me if you don't want to post it here). I think it counts as much as the turmeric in my Doro Wat

Here's the link for anyone else interested. I've made it with light coconut milk to save calories and it's quite tasty even then.

https://nigella.com/recipes/thai-chicken-noodle-soup

If the rice noodles aren't GI friendly, I use bean pasta to get protein. It's really about the broth for me.

Looks yummy! Here's a recipe with a lot of the same ingredients that is great during the cold weather: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/slow-cooker-burmese-style-noodles-31184
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Just bumping to read later
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    I put tumeric and ginger in my smoothies every day and it helps with inflammation. I rarely use Naproxen or Ibuprofen anymore. I swim competitively and I have Multiple Sclerosis.

I also cut out refined sugar and dairy, which also cause inflammation.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Okay, now I'm interested. I'm getting up there in years (almost 52) and yeah, the joints make more noises these days. Plus I have an occasional issue with one knee.

Is this useful in a pill form?

I take it in pill form. I had been taking glucosamine which didn't seem to really be doing anything and my doctor suggested I try the turmeric and bromelain combo which seems to be doing the trick for the most part...not that I don't ever reach for the Aleve.

Thanks. I'll try it.

I think it has a cumulative effect in the body...early on I tried taking it only when I was starting to feel a twinge of pain and it didn't seem to do much...then I started just taking it daily and it seems to keep those twinges at bay unless I really overdo it with something...which I have a tendency to do...I can be my own worst enemy at times.

Possibly because reducing the inflammation gives the damage caused/worsened by it a chance to heal?

I believe one of the problems with chronic inflammation is that the inflammatory response inhibits healing (sounds odd, but it's meant to be a temporary state to clear out pathogens before healing starts) so if you can reduce inflammation, healing will start. This is why medics advise us to use ice/anti-inflammatories after injury - a bit of inflammation is good but too much delays healing.

I don't think it's likely it accumulates in the body as very few things actually do that, the body is very adept at clearing out foreign substances.

My son had a shoulder injury from water polo and was being treated at a very well known sports medicine physical therapy place. They said just that about the inflammation and pain level. They told him he needed to keep his pain below a certain level otherwise he would not heal. So with his exercise rehab he needed to work to only I think it was a pain level 2 more than that the healing would be reduced.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I've been taking turmeric/bromelain since reading this thread and have less knee pain despite increasing activity :smiley:
  • KhaleesiBlue
    KhaleesiBlue Posts: 13 Member
    Completely tmi, but I have used turmeric to help shrink a thrombosed hemorrhoid. You make a paste and apply, unfortunately it's extremely messy but it does seem to help.