Calcium Sources - Vegan

Hello guys can you help me get some of thr best sources for Calcium intake for vegans like me. Also I dont eat Soy as its a GMO. Please help me !!

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Greens!!! Kale, spinach, romaine, bok choy, collard, chard, etc.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    White beans - 160mg per cup

I don't believe organic soy is GMO.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited February 2017
    Many of the commercial nut milks are fortified with calcium and vitamin D. Fortified nut milks have as much calcium as cow's milk. ClubSilencio is right, organic soy is non-GMO (but there's no guarantee each and every company claiming their product is non-GMO is telling the truth - search for "non gmo organic soy" in your browser). Also, if you search for "vegan calcium sources" in your browser, there are a lot of lists out there.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    As above mentions Almond Breeze Almond Milk is vegan and source of calcium.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Be sure to get the RD for the other vitamins and minerals. Especially A and D.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Green leafy vegetables have calcium in them and many people can absorb the calcium better than in a pill form. Even better than foods "fortified" with calcium. Eat those greens!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    Leafy greens are good for calcium but there have been concerns about the bioavailability in them (how much calcium your body uses from these sources). In general, things like kale, broccoli, and bok choy are superior to things like spinach. Sweet potatoes is somewhere in between. Dairy is best for that, but since you don't eat dairy, kale is your second best bet. Do you have access to grape leaves or jute? Both are excellent sources (and might I add, delicious).
  • braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    I don't eat a vegan diet but do have a low dairy diet which makes it hard to reach calcium goals and I've had to use a calcium supplement 600mg pill once a day. That usually helps bridge the gap of my diet for me. You can even take 2/day if you need to. They are usually combined with vitamin D too