Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• miladiaz
    miladiaz Posts: 9 Member
    I played high school football and lifted almost everyday. I was amazed by the results. I love lifting, but don't really have anyone to do it with. I have a free session with a trainer today who is a power lifter and was already excited, but these photos have me even more motivated.

I've been scared/unmotivated/intimidated of lifting on my own. I need to get a routine together and knock this out. I can't wait to lift again.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Arkie_Ali wrote: »
    All of these have inspired me to begin lifting. I'd like to start the Stronglifts 5x5 program at home. My husband will be starting it with me. We've decided to buy the equipment and work out in the garage. The equipment will be our Valentine's gift to each other. :)

For those that have done the Stronglifts 5x5 program, Do we only need a bench, adjustable rack, bar and weights?

Well, yes.
  • Arkie_Ali
    Arkie_Ali Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2017
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    All of these have inspired me to begin lifting. I'd like to start the Stronglifts 5x5 program at home. My husband will be starting it with me. We've decided to buy the equipment and work out in the garage. The equipment will be our Valentine's gift to each other. :)

For those that have done the Stronglifts 5x5 program, Do we only need a bench, adjustable rack, bar and weights?

Well, yes.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else we need. I was mostly concerned about the rack. The one on the SL website has 4 posts and the one I'm looking at has 2 adjustable posts.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I do Stronglifts. I got an olympic set of barbells for $200, and an inexpensive squat rack .
    The only recommendation I would make is to get a squat rack with a safety bar (safety arms?)
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »
    For ladies doing 5x5, Mehdi also suggests a fractional weight set so when you're doing OH Press and Chest Presses down the road you can add a pound or fraction of a pound since we don't have the same upper body strength as the guys. I got a set but so far if I fail I just do the same weight the next week and I've generally been able to finish it that week.

This. I have gotten SO MUCH use out of my fractional plates.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    grapaj wrote: »
    ^^ arm goals!!!!!! Awesome work @psych101

Thank you!!
  • psych101
    mrsjoyw wrote: »

THAT is what I want!! EXACTLY!! I created a new post about wanting to see arm transformations and THIS is what I was looking for! I LOVE YOUR ARMS!! Oh Lord PLEASE let me achieve this!

Aww wow, thank you! Lots of time, protein and heavy weights xxx
  • psych101
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Well, yes.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else we need. I was mostly concerned about the rack. The one on the SL website has 4 posts and the one I'm looking at has 2 adjustable posts.

You're going to want one that has safeties if you're lifting at home, or have your hubby spot you, or learn how to fail squats.

• jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    edited February 2017
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »
    For ladies doing 5x5, Mehdi also suggests a fractional weight set so when you're doing OH Press and Chest Presses down the road you can add a pound or fraction of a pound since we don't have the same upper body strength as the guys. I got a set but so far if I fail I just do the same weight the next week and I've generally been able to finish it that week.

This. I have gotten SO MUCH use out of my fractional plates.

I was thinking of buying 1.25lb ones, or maybe lower?

Also bumping in hopes of seeing more inspiring photos!