How to reduce/avoid movie theater snacking?

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Does anyone have a tactic for avoiding overeating at the movie theater? What's the craziest thing you've snuck into the movies? I was thinking an apple bulging out of my pocket would be kinda suspicious!

hmm..
    [1] Remind yourself that there are no intermissions anymore.. salty popcorn means you need a (big) drink, a drink means you'll have to pee during the movie.
    [2] Look at the prices.

I've snuck in fruit snacks, clif bar if I didn't have time to eat beforehand. I very rarely go to a movie though.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    The nacho cheese that comes with the nachos. it's so gross...but tastes soooo good. I'm taking my son to see the Lego Batman Movie tonight and I have been plotting all day about how to NOT EAT THE NACHOS!!!! :D
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I can't resist. I get a bucket of popcorn and a large diet soda. Thankfully, I only go to the theater a few times a year.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Since I don't go all the time and knew in advance I was going, I tracked it at the beginning of the week. Adjusted my daily calories accordingly and fit in a popcorn no problem. I ended up not even eating as much as I had tracked.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I just eat beforehand so I don't feel the need to get anything but a water or diet soda
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I usually have some hard candy, like Jolly Ranchers, in my purse. Satisfies the need for a little candy without breaking the calorie budget.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    I can eat a meal before, of course, but it won't stop the delicious scent of wafting buttery popcorn vapors from my nostrils!! Nose plug, lol?! Now I want to go to the movies SOO bad :-)
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 181 Member
    A big purse is key! Lol! I sneak in some candy if my kids are with me because they always want some and $5 for a little box of sour patch kids just isn't happening. I do get the popcorn and a diet soda (unless I sneak in a bottle of water). I don't add butter or salt to the popcorn because it's flavored enough. It's not healthy, but I budget for it, so to speak, and I enjoy the heck out of that treat. :)
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Kgirlhart, a beer at the movies would be awesome. Bottle or can? As soon as you open that can, and hear the fizz everyone within 3 feet knows you have contraband!
  • andrea4736
    Kgirlhart, a beer at the movies would be awesome. Bottle or can? As soon as you open that can, and hear the fizz everyone within 3 feet knows you have contraband!

Yes, vodka in water bottles works way better ;-)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Does anyone have a tactic for avoiding overeating at the movie theater? What's the craziest thing you've snuck into the movies? I was thinking an apple bulging out of my pocket would be kinda suspicious!

I bite the bullet, and on the day I'm going to the theater I do a ton of extra exercise to earn the calories I know I'm going to eat with the butter popcorn and the nachos lol. I do manage to stay away from the candy, but there will always be popcorn and nachos or I won't go to the movies lol.
  • jessicagreen1828
    andrea4736 wrote: »

Nice! I just don't think I'd risk it these days... especially not at a kid's movie hahaha.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 wrote: »

Nice! I just don't think I'd risk it these days... especially not at a kid's movie hahaha.

Hahahaha, me either! Plus when I'm drinking I'm likely to eat the entire snack bar.
  • jessicagreen1828
    TeaBea wrote: »

I just bring a (small) box of Cracker Jack, but I could see bringing a bigger purse and a 100 calorie bag of Pop Secret. Veggies (I like them).....but they're just not theater food.

Cracker Jacks are a great idea too! And no guessing on the calories!!!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    If I am genuinely trying to avoid additional calories if it was say a last minute unplanned cinema trip I just buy a big bottle of water and don't have any snacks. If I know I'm going in advance I'll have a lighter lunch and dinner to factor a bag of sweets in. I normally get the kids treat size bags of jellies that are 2 for £1 from the supermarket. They are about quarter the size of a share bag of haribo.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I bring a big purse and stuff it with whatever I want to drink and eat. I've always done this. After spending $10 to get in I'm not standing in another line and spending on overpriced concessions. My only regret has been letting my husband talk me into smuggling in his soda too.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited February 2017
    My tactic is Netflix and Amazon Prime. Snacks are better in my living room and WAYYYYYYY less expensive. Plus there are no rude morons talking or texting, and no unsupervised kids, and we don't have to sit through 20 minutes of previews and bullsnit.

My GF and I go to the movies once a year on Christmas Eve, usually a 4:00 or 5:00 PM show, then go to an awesome sit-down Chinese dinner at a place near us. It's a tradition...

I can suggest this, also: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BU7GM4E?th=1
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    My husband HAS to have popcorn at the movies. With extra butter. I always tell him, "Just get a small one, because I don't want any". And he comes back with a big bucket because "it was only 50 cents more". And expects me to help him with it. Sigh.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    My husband HAS to have popcorn at the movies. With extra butter. I always tell him, "Just get a small one, because I don't want any". And he comes back with a big bucket because "it was only 50 cents more". And expects me to help him with it. Sigh.

He's so right! Only 50 cents! The cheap part of me can't resist that bargain. Of course, I'm overlooking how grossly overpriced the small is...

I always get a venti from Starbucks for the same reason!