Mom2Annie's Progress Thread

Replies

• EVP_NZ
    EVP_NZ Posts: 117 Member
    Wow. Good for you! Keto is an adjustment and super expensive at first. You eventually end up eating so much less food that I find it evens out. Keto fits hand-in-glove with fasting.

It's not for everyone, but I'm convinced it's the fuel my body runs on best. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm no expert by any means, but I've been eating this way a couple of years.
  • Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    Thanks, Erin. I will probably pick your brain soon! Thanks for the encouragement and willingness to help.
  • EVP_NZ
    EVP_NZ Posts: 117 Member
    How's it going?
  • Mom2annie
    Really well! I'm losing weight and I'm not craving carbs. I do find it a bit difficult to reach my calorie goal and stay within my LCHF macros, but I generally find a way with enough thought and creativity.

That said, I am getting a little worried that the high fat part of LCHF may be contraindicated for my acid reflux. I'm trying to come off of a proton pump inhibitor (Prevacid) and, according to what I've read, that involves avoiding "triggers." Most of the (possibly outdated) science-based articles I've come across say that a high fat diet is a trigger. Yet, most of the anecdotal evidence indicates that LCHF (or just LC) completely, or nearly, cures acid reflux.

Tapering off of PPIs is said to be very difficult and painful. The last thing I want to do is make it even more difficult on myself by eating too much fat. It's clear that LC is best for acid reflux, but it's not clear if that includes LCHF.

I'm torn, but for today, I'm sticking with the LCHF (and OMAD). :) My weight is steadily dropping--it's wonderful!

Thanks for checking on me. I need to go catch up on your thread too. :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    LCHF helped with my acid reflux :smile:
  • Mom2annie
    Thanks Brenda!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    This is fabulous, gang. Just read up on what I'd missed in this thread. Fabulous!
  • Mom2annie
    I'm officially disenchanted with LCHF+OMAD and feel like I need to make an adjustment.

I don't think the high fat part is right for me. I want to stay low-carb, but super low carb (my aim has been 20-30 grams a day) is very difficult for me when combined with OMAD. I try to keep my eating window from 4:30pm to 7:30pm and I simply cannot get in enough HEALTHY food to achieve the macro ratios that are part of a LCHF diet. If I ate three meals a day, then I don’t think it would be so hard. As it is now, I'm eating significantly more processed foods and less vegetables & fruits which makes me feel like I’m regressing in my healthy habits, not progressing. I miss my green smoothies! I miss eating oranges and apples. I miss carrots, rice, potatoes, artichokes, etc.

And as of yesterday, I am super tempted to eat some serious carbs. I'm talking donuts, pizza, brownies, and cookies...not relatively healthy carbs like whole grain bread/pasta. I wasn’t craving that stuff before I combined LCHF with OMAD. It only just hit me yesterday which was my 8th day of integrating LCHF.

I'm also backed up and having abdominal pains. I think it's all the fat and less fiber. I can only fit so much high fiber veggies into 3 hours of eating. At the end of the window, I am miserably full and uncomfortable.

I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKUJpkO5FyU&t=2s this morning by a bariatric doctor named Matthew Weiner (author of A Pound of Cure) titled, “Should I have weight loss surgery?” which…

(1) is the first time in several weeks that I’ve shown any interest in actually having the gastric sleeve surgery that I’m technically prepping to have done this summer or fall; and

(2) he said something that struck a chord in me. He said (paraphrased): Whatever nutritional changes you make (with the intention of making them permanent) has to be something you can enjoy or you won’t be successful long-term. In that moment, it hit me that I am definitely not enjoying LCHF. I do, however, enjoy OMAD.

Is OMAD sometimes a challenge? Definitely, but it’s something I can see myself doing (at least partially) for the rest of my life. I don’t struggle with feeling deprived on OMAD because there really aren’t any restrictions. If I want an orange with my meal, then I have an orange and I can feel great that I ate something natural and full of nutrients! If I eat an orange on the LCHF diet, then I get to feel like crap because I’ve immediately blown my diet and kicked my body out of ketosis. In other words, I face failure more often through the day on LCHF than on OMAD. Once you get accustomed to OMAD, it’s like running on autopilot. You don’t have to think so hard and try so hard to stay on track toward meeting your goals.

So, I’m going to go back to OMAD only but be mindful of excessive carbs and try to consume mostly healthy ones, but not obsess about the amount so much.

Sorry for the novel! I hope everyone is having a great day. B)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Just be carb-conscious (candy, milkshakes, and cake), not low-carb. So many find that they lose much better on higher carb. But again, it shouldn't matter that much; the more you think on it, the higher the chances of giving up. I never cared about any of that. And if it's nutrients you are after, then a plant-based eating routine is the soundest of all. As long as there is a ceiling cap on how much in a day you eat, you won't struggle forever with weight. And as for nourishment, you will generally start to crave what you need. I wouldn't fret over it.
  • Mom2annie
    Thanks, Joe. I really appreciate your input! Carb-conscious it is. :)
  • Brendalea69
    Do what's best for you, Joe didnt do LC and he lost weight :) I'm starting to add in more carbs and will let you know if it made me stall or gain, I weigh on Saturday o:)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I tried low carb for a week about a month ago and I did not like it. I do watch the refined sugars (sometimes going in my mouth!) but that is about it. It definitely was not sustainable for me. Others may be able to do that but I think if I just watch the sweets like Joe said, then I'm doing well.

I've always been conscious about getting protein and micro nutrients. I have most often drank a protein shake to break the fast with some frozen fruit in it and maybe a spoon of yogurt. Next I eat a big salad with oil and some protein. Then I eat a little for what's for dinner and then I might top it off with a little bit of a desert. Thats worked for me fairly well.
  • Mom2annie
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I tried low carb for a week about a month ago and I did not like it. I do watch the refined sugars (sometimes going in my mouth!) but that is about it. It definitely was not sustainable for me. Others may be able to do that but I think if I just watch the sweets like Joe said, then I'm doing well.

I've always been conscious about getting protein and micro nutrients. I have most often drank a protein shake to break the fast with some frozen fruit in it and maybe a spoon of yogurt. Next I eat a big salad with oil and some protein. Then I eat a little for what's for dinner and then I might top it off with a little bit of a desert. Thats worked for me fairly well.

That's a great plan! I think I'll try that myself. Thanks :)
  • Brendalea69

Did you gain any weight back after you stopped doing LC? I'm afraid that if I just stop LC cold turkey I will gain :(
  • blambo61
    edited February 2017

Did you gain any weight back after you stopped doing LC? I'm afraid that if I just stop LC cold turkey I will gain :(

I did gain some back. I lost 4lbs the week I did low carb and gained about two back I think the next week. Most of the gain back was water I'm sure. I think people low carb will gain a couple of lbs of water back if they quit, but they shouldn't gain fat back if they keep the cals low. A calorie deficit can't be argued with, if you have a deficit, you will lose (sometimes hard to see cause of water retention, constipation, muscle gain etc..). If we didn't lose weight in a deficit, we would be creating energy out of nothing which is impossible. It isn't always easy to have a deficit though because some things probably do slow down the metabolism. Also, I do think that there can be more weight lost than what a deficit demands though and that I think is effected by many things including what we eat, when we eat, frequency of when we eat, stress, etc..
  • blambo61
    Mom2annie wrote: »

That's a great plan! I think I'll try that myself. Thanks :)

I also almost always eat a multi-vitamin and mineral suppliment and I have also taken ACV a lot of the time also which I need to get back to doing. I always felt (true or not) that getting in the protein and the vitamins helped me to not be as hungry the next day.
  • Brendalea69
    Thanks @blambo61 :)
  • kabrigail
    kabrigail Posts: 149 Member
    I've never done LC while on OMAD and I've lost 45 lbs so far. I don't really crave sweets or eat them very often. On occasion I will.
  • Brendalea69
    @kabrigail thats awesome!!! :)
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member

You need to slowly put carbs back into your diet. Weigh yourself frequently (at least weekly) to see if you are adding carbs too fast back into your diet. Going back to eating an average amount of carbs made me gain it all back very fast after LC. You need to do it slowly.