How to reduce/avoid movie theater snacking?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Yeah. Movie theaters means popcorn for me. Just the way it is. It's one night in a blue moon so I don't fuss about it too much. I try to fit it in my calories by eating "well" the rest of the day, but I still want the popcorn.
  • IceFishie
    IceFishie Posts: 5 Member
    Easy, I can't afford to eat there! So I don't expect to snack at movies, I watch and leave to eat at home after
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I sometimes throw a pint of blueberries or blackberries in my purse. Easy and no stems, pits, cores or peels to worry about. Pistachios or peanuts in the shell are also nice if you want something salty, and having to shell them slows you down so they last a little longer. But save them for a noisy action movie.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't go to the movies often...maybe 2-3-4 times per year. Concessions are part of the whole experience IMO. Also, having worked in a theater as a teenager, concessions also keep the doors open.

Same if I go to a football game or baseball game...I'll be damned if I'm not having a hot dog, nachos, and a couple beers...it's part of the experience.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    I bring my own healthy snacks (which I know the calorie content of) in my purse, usually a quest bar. Sometimes they are not always healthy but I budget for them in my calories e.g a mini tube of pringles which might have about 250 calories. I've also eaten a meal just before I go in too so I don't feel the need for anything but a bottle of water. Also...I have taken sushi in too....you can't trust the calories at the candy bar at the movies.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    I usually have some hard candy, like Jolly Ranchers, in my purse. Satisfies the need for a little candy without breaking the calorie budget.

Yes, me too I've also taken in some hard candy that lasts a while which is helpful.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I put 2 cups of Skinny Pop popcorn in a ziploc bag in my purse. I buy a small diet drink. And I wait for the lights to go out before breaking out the baggie!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I eat before I go, therefore not feeling hungry makes me less likely to go for the popcorn. Have you considered bringing in beef jerky as a healthy snack or sticks of pepperoni?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Yes, I love the popcorn too! It's just not knowing the calorie content, makes me nervous to get it. Plus it has more oil/butter/salt than I would normally add if I made it on the stovetop at home. Eating during a movie at home is not a challenge for me, it's the association of going to an actual movie (and wanting snacks) that gives me trouble!

It's bad. Ontario makes restaurants with more than 20 locations list the calories and movie snack bars count. Here's the PDF off the Ciniplex site: http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/FoodDrink/foodanddrink2016/Core-Nutrition-EN-8-16.pdf
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Does anyone have a tactic for avoiding overeating at the movie theater? What's the craziest thing you've snuck into the movies? I was thinking an apple bulging out of my pocket would be kinda suspicious!

I just don't eat in there. I usually do sneak in a diet coke, but honestly I have never loved popcorn, and just never made a habit of eating anything in the theater. My BF used to get popcorn, but even he has stopped that now.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I eat before I go, therefore not feeling hungry makes me less likely to go for the popcorn. Have you considered bringing in beef jerky as a healthy snack or sticks of pepperoni?

Jerky is a good option too! I just recently found some of those 1oz sticks and didn't realize how reasonable they are. Of course I didn't know how much I'd struggle at the theater until it was too late. Next time I'll have a plan!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Don't buy the snacks, then you won't eat them!
  • jessicagreen1828
    Yes, I love the popcorn too! It's just not knowing the calorie content, makes me nervous to get it. Plus it has more oil/butter/salt than I would normally add if I made it on the stovetop at home. Eating during a movie at home is not a challenge for me, it's the association of going to an actual movie (and wanting snacks) that gives me trouble!

It's bad. Ontario makes restaurants with more than 20 locations list the calories and movie snack bars count. Here's the PDF off the Ciniplex site: http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/FoodDrink/foodanddrink2016/Core-Nutrition-EN-8-16.pdf

Yikes! I knew that popcorn was extra good for a reason lol. Thanks for the link
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited February 2017
    Gave up eating anything at the movies long ago.

I just buy my ticket, go straight to the designated theater bypassing the snack counter, sit down and play w/my phone until the movie starts.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Totally unrelated to controlling what I have at the movies but my friend and I took in little single glass "take away" wine. God bless M&S.

And I was at the theatre (not movie) last month for my birthday. Woman whipped out a burger during the interval!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,300 Member
    I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy anything there. I chew gum or occasionally bring a protein bar
  • jessicagreen1828
    Totally unrelated to controlling what I have at the movies but my friend and I took in little single glass "take away" wine. God bless M&S.

And I was at the theatre (not movie) last month for my birthday. Woman whipped out a burger during the interval!

Single serving wine, yes please! My friend once brought potato salad. I could not stop laughing when I realized what she smuggled in.
  • jessicagreen1828
    I bring a bag of jello bites. Haha. I'll get a large Coke Zero as my splurge.

Can someone tell me what jello bites are? I used google but still not sure. Is it like jigglers jello, that's made with less water so it's more stiff?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    The snacks at the theater are usually better than the movie itself. I love a large popcorn with extra butter, box of chocolate covered peanuts, and of course a large diet soda.

Next time I will probably get a small popcorn, no extra butter, a small serving of chocolate covered peanuts, and a diet soda.

But I only go about once a year so either way it's no biggie.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member

Single serving wine, yes please! My friend once brought potato salad. I could not stop laughing when I realized what she smuggled in.

Smuggling potato salad is hysterical! And also really odd.