How to reduce/avoid movie theater snacking?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    edited February 2017

Have you seen the price of the food on offer? That's enough for me to want to sit through a 2-hour movie without eating.

You wouldn't snack through a symphony or at the theatre ... why eat during a movie?

The most I'll do for any of those things is to bring a small bottle of water or coke zero.
  • Blondie_130
    Blondie_130 Posts: 22 Member
    Either a small movie theatre popcorn, or a freezer size ziplock bag of popcorn from home! With some brands, and/or depending how you prepare it, you can get lots of popcorn for not too many calories.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Have you seen the price of the food on offer? That's enough for me to want to sit through a 2-hour movie without eating.

You wouldn't snack through a symphony or at the theatre ... why eat during a movie?

The most I'll do for any of those things is to bring a small bottle of water or coke zero.

This is actually a bugbear of mine, people totally do snack through a show at the theatre. Never happened when i was a kid, heck we still got dressed up to go when I was a kid but now? People chomping down on all sorts.

• jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    I used to work at a theatre in high school. Believe me, the employees have seen it all. When cleaning up afterwards (btw people are slobs!) one time I found a bucket of KFC chicken. They left the bones.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    If you really want popcorn, just get a small. Without the added butter/liquid it's not too bad. Otherwise try sneaking in some baby carrots and apple slices or something? I always bring a tiny bottle of water anyway since that's what I like to drink and it's like 4 bucks for one at the theater.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    jcraig10 wrote: »
    I used to work at a theatre in high school. Believe me, the employees have seen it all. When cleaning up afterwards (btw people are slobs!) one time I found a bucket of KFC chicken. They left the bones.

Wow. I guess if you didn't eat dinner, but you don't want to be late, it kinda makes sense. But how'd they get the whole bucket in there?! Lol
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member

I guess it's just a place I associate with snacks. Kinda like Pavlov's dogs with the bell . I've been trained... that whole bit. But yes, the prices are outrageous.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member

I guess it's just a place I associate with snacks. Kinda like Pavlov's dogs with the bell . I've been trained... that whole bit. But yes, the prices are outrageous.

When I lived in Canada, I had the idea that a person always got a box of popcorn and a drink when a person went to the movies.

Then I moved to Australia and discovered that here, while popcorn and drinks are available, not very many people actually buy anything ... maybe only 1 out of 10 people will eat while watching the movies.

So I got out of the habit and haven't eaten in a movie in probably a decade now.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    I don't like to eat during movies - too distracting - but I will admit to once or twice in my life sneaking in mini liquor bottles!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited February 2017
    I like to save my calories and get something to eat after the movie so this is not too much of a struggle for me.

Plus, I need to see what I'm eating and I'm not a snacker.

During the movie I chew gum and I bring my own water.

It is tempting smelling all of that popcorn butter, but I just think about all of the calories and money I'm saving and I feel better. :)
  • lavoiekr
    lavoiekr Posts: 27 Member
    I've had peppermint tea and a small bag of protein gummy bears (only 2gms of sugar). I have also had a small bag of M&Ms with a water to get me through. Hide them all in your purse and you are good to go!
  • MissZimmy
    MissZimmy Posts: 13 Member
    I love taking a punnet of raspberries or blueberries. As they can be expensive I don't buy them all that often, so it's a nice treat. Plus they work out a similar price to junk food even when out of season. So I get an awesome treat, guilt free!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I actually love the movies because it's 2 hours during which I don't think about food! Honestly I like eating my food without being distracted, so that I can enjoy it more, so I stopped eating while watching TV/movies when I started losing weight.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited February 2017
    I only go a couple of times per year, so I go whole-hog on the popcorn with butter! Sadly, my husband loves popcorn but hates butter, so we can't share a bucket. We end up spending even more getting separate bags, but oh well, again, it's not often.

Thanks to whomever provided the nutrition info! Honestly, I thought it would be worse, especially for sodium. Only 750 or so mg for the large? I thought 1500 for sure!

That all being said, I don't think I've had movie theater popcorn since losing weight this time. Next time we go, I MIGHT consider bringing in my own with limited olive oil and salt. I always bring my own water--$4 for a bottle of water?? Recently my mom clued me in to the fact that all of these restaurant-type establishments are required by law to provide water in a cup for free.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    Kgirlhart, a beer at the movies would be awesome. Bottle or can? As soon as you open that can, and hear the fizz everyone within 3 feet knows you have contraband!

Yes, vodka in water bottles works way better ;-)

Nice! I just don't think I'd risk it these days... especially not at a kid's movie hahaha.

We did used to bring cans in. But I'm old and was in college 30 years ago. I wouldn't sneak anything in today really.
  • JustPeachy0
    JustPeachy0 Posts: 2 Member
    We have a theatre here that serves Edamame. I love it for my popcorn substitute
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    I usually get lunch or dinner before going to the movies, so my tummy feels full, and then get the LARGEST diet soda I can lol so I have something to 'do' with my hands.

I don't mind the popcorn, popcorn is a whole grain! I just loooove mixing m&m's in with the popcorn so it's sweet and salty and a million calories. So I just have to avoid it altogether.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    We have a theatre here that serves Edamame. I love it for my popcorn substitute

That is a favorite of mine for 'mindless eating' while watching a movie.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    jcraig10 wrote: »

I worked in a theater when I was in high school as well. One of the big hits at the time was Madonna's "Truth or Dare"...we found all kinds of disgusting nonsense (and observed some pretty disturbing behavior) when that movie was in the theater.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Our cinema has a sign up confirming we can take in our own food. So I make the kids popcorn at home and take that with us. I just find a coffee is enough for me. Once I went with my best friend over lunchtime so we took a subway.