Fruit after breakfast?

Is it best to stop eating fruit around noon? To let the body burn the sugar? Will eating fruit a few hrs before bed have a negative impact? I know it won't make me gain weight but could it cause more belly fat to be stored for example?

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    No.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    crevtion wrote: »
    Is it best to stop eating fruit around noon? To let the body burn the sugar? Will eating fruit a few hrs before bed have a negative impact? I know it won't make me gain weight but could it cause more belly fat to be stored for example?

you only gain fat in a calorie surplus. Timing of when you eat fruit and sugar has nothing to do with it.

if you know it won't make you gain weight, then why would you think that it would make you gain more belly fat????

• crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    Honestly it's just all this information being constantly thrown out on the internet, so after reading all these contradictory articles one has to wonder :neutral:
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Too many calories cause weight gain. Meal timing/specific food timing is not relevant.

Don't read the "belly fat" nonsense. Too much crappy information out there.

This.

Fruit any time of the day is perfectly fine, as long as you're fitting it into your calorie targets :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Honestly it's just all this information being constantly thrown out on the internet, so after reading all these contradictory articles one has to wonder :neutral:

Those articles are written by idiots/greedy "journalists" who make a living off of click bait, consulting with doctors and "experts" who make a living selling books, supplements and meal replacements.

You're correct, it won't make you gain weight. Nor will your body move fat from other areas of your body to the belly. Nor will it selectively burn fat from other areas while storing it around your belly because of the type of food you ate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Think about it logically...we have evolved over the course of millions of years...if all of these "rules" were valid, we would have died off as a species a long time ago.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Just to spark conversation:
    What is the impact on insulin levels with eating a high fruit diet?

Fruit is loaded with vitamins. People seem to forget that and label fruit as sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    JB035 wrote: »

Fruit is loaded with vitamins. People seem to forget that and label fruit as sugar.

Depends...too much sugar in general can be an issue regardless of source, but I don't think the average Joe/Jane is having issues from too much fruit. My dad was a type II and he had to watch his fruit, particularly with things like bananas, grapes, etc...he mostly ate berries.

I just generally try to keep to the recommended 1-2 servings per day and put a premium on veg.
  • JB035
    ndj1979 wrote: »

start a new thread and don't hijack this one...

@ndj1979 it's relative. How does it effect late night?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

What you asked has nothing to do with eating fruit at night.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I like a fruit mix called Welch's Antioxidant Fruit Blend - a nice mix of sweet and sour cherries with blueberries, sliced strawberries and blackberries. My favorite dessert right now: 1 cup of the Welch's blend defrosted (70 cals) plus 1/2 cup Siggi's filmjolk (Icelandic kefir - 70 cals) plus 1/8 cup of granola for crunch (60 cals). I like bananas very much and will buy a bunch now and then but a banana has about 40 cals more than a cup of the Welch's blend.

Where you store fat on your body tends I believe to be more a matter of genetics than what or when you eat. Summary of a recent study:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170113154806.htm
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017

A bit of semantics. Your body has the capacity to store 300-500g of glycogen (sugar) and endless amounts of fat. Throughout your day and depending on your activity, your body will burn either or both sources of fuel.

Ultimately, none of that really matters. Overall energy balance (calories in vs out) is what determines fat gain, loss, or maintenance. Genetics determines where you store that energy.

TLDR: eat the fruit anytime. It's loaded with nutrients and can satiate you.
  • JB035
    @PaulaWallaDingDong please forgive me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

if you want to spark a conversation post a new thread ...

your proposed topic has nothing to do with OP's original post...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

After reading Harvey and Marilyn Diamond's "Fit for Life" in the 90s, I felt guilty for years about eating fruit on a full stomach. I'm more careful about my sources now :)
  • JB035

if you want to spark a conversation post a new thread ...

your proposed topic has nothing to do with OP's original post...

@ndj1979 Bro chill...