Healthy snacks

I have a big snacking problem and I'm having trouble finding a healthy snack. I love oranges and yogurt but they take a lot of sugars up so I end up going over. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Caveat: I am not concerned about my sodium intake and, as I have a salt tooth, I frequently go over. However, I don't eat many sweet snacks.

1) String cheese. The brand I buy is 80 calories per serving.

2) Homemade tortilla chips. Take small (7") flour tortillas. Lightly brush with oil or spray with cooking spray (I usually spray one and then rub it on 1-2 others), cut into 8 wedges each and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Each 8 chip serving is around 110 calories.

3) I eat cold veggie dogs out of the package (Yves are 50 calories each)

4) Skinny Pop popcorn. I take 2 cups at a time for 80-86 calories, depending on the flavor.
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    If I'm being healthy?
    -Veggies (raw broccoli, bell pepper, celery) and red pepper hummus.
    -Avocado rice paper rolls (rice paper, lettuce, noodles, cucumber, carrot, avocado and tofu) dipping in a peanut or sweet chili sauce.
    -boiled egg
    -Avocado toast (bread, avocado, lemon juice, onion, salt, pepper and pepper flakes)
    -tomato sandwich (toast, tomatoes, onion and balsamic vinaigrette)
    -zuccini pizza (sliced zuccini with tomato sauce, a little cheese and I add mushrooms or onions sometimes)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have a big snacking problem and I'm having trouble finding a healthy snack. I love oranges and yogurt but they take a lot of sugars up so I end up going over. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have some suggestions. But first a question or two.
    What is the problem?
    What do you think is a healthy food?
    What makes a snack healthy?

Anything you can eat for a meal, you can eat as a snack.

You don't have to snack.

If you don't have a problem with sugar, you don't have to track sugar.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    Yogurts and fruits are my go to snacks. I don't track sugar and don't worry about going over. If you don't have a medical reason to limit sugar and you are within your calories them I wouldn't worry about it.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    air-popped popcorn with chili powder
    raw nuts
    Larabar Fruit & Greens bar
    Natural PB mixed with a bit of cinnamon and apple slices and celery sticks or some whole grain crackers
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I just had a delicious snack of frozen grapes, krab meat, 4 cheese slices, and 5 crackers. I love snacking.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I have a big snacking problem and I'm having trouble finding a healthy snack. I love oranges and yogurt but they take a lot of sugars up so I end up going over. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have some suggestions. But first a question or two.
    What is the problem?
    What do you think is a healthy food?
    What makes a snack healthy?

Anything you can eat for a meal, you can eat as a snack.

You don't have to snack.

If you don't have a problem with sugar, you don't have to track sugar.

This.

I track fibre instead of sugar as it is much more useful.
  • johnair
    johnair Posts: 1 Member
    Try halo top ice cream
  • Shelley459087
    Shelley459087 Posts: 5 Member
    Not sure if I'd call it healthy but diet jello is awesome. The one I buy is about 7 cals a serve. I double the serving though. It helps when my family are sitting around scoffing desert and I don't feel deprived because I have a treat too!
  • Lin_marie11
    Lin_marie11 Posts: 100 Member
    Frozen yogurt banana slices. Take any flavored Greek yogurt and dip banana slices into it and freeze.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I'm trying to simplify my work snacks - this week I've taken a different selection every day including:
    - fruit - apples or watermelon
    - veggies - snow peas, carrot, celery, cherry tomatoes and today a baby potato in the mix
    - boiled egg
    - cheese slice
    - plain yoghurt - today I threw in a few frozen blueberries for a bit of variety.

I will probably buy some nuts on the weekend and add a few of them in there too.

• sessik86
    sessik86 Posts: 18 Member
    Homemade baked sweet potato fries, hard boiled eggs or deviled eggs made with greek yogurt, bake a flat out wrap into chips and use with a pineapple salsa, black bean dip, or spinach Greek yogurt dip, apples with chocolate pb2, Ezekiel English muffin with pb2, tomato and cucumber with lite balsamic dressing, cottage cheese, jello pudding cups
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Since you said sugar is an issue, here are a few low sugar options:

Hard Boiled Eggs
    String Cheese
    Flavored Tuna Pouches
    Pork Rinds
    Nuts (nothing honey-roasted though)
    Veggies & Hummus
    Pickles