10 portions of fruit and veg a day

Replies

• bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    yes my Dr has recommended 10 servings to all her patients for several years now. I find it easy to do .
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Most people around the world struggle to eat 5 servings of fruit and veg a day so I can't see many at all going to 10. I may be close to that some days though.
  • Sairzie
    Sairzie Posts: 122 Member
    I'm definitely going to aim for this. I've been trying to do seven portions a day since January so this'll be a nice extra boost!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    800g? That's it? Pfft, I do that for dinner. A pound of broccoli, green beans, or cauliflower with salmon on top, and an apple or some blueberries afterward? Sounds good to me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I easily put away over 800g of veggies a day, as long as I'm not having a *kitten it all* day.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    I think it's a fantastic idea to encourage people to eat 8-10 servings of fruit and veggies a day. I think one easy way to sneak in 1-3 servings of fruits and veggies will be through green smoothies, depending upon how you make them. And then two fruits/vegs with each meal for breakfast lunch, dinner.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Whoa. Just realized my 270 gram apple would count as over 3 servings a day if we're going with 80 g a serving lol. How much would guacamole count for lol. Maybe 0.5 hahah. So I'm at 5.9 servings today then. Hmm. Though... I guess I don't usually have carrots too so that is bumping me up today.

Also... 80 g of lettuce would be a lot of lettuce.

Nope, not really.... Especially if you have something watery like iceberg or cos.

I would easily eat 10+ without trying - most meals are loaded with vegies! I love them, and choose them over other things - I'd rather have a bowl of zoodles instead of pasta for example. So I can have dessert (which generally includes fruit)

Most of my meals are probably hitting 800g of vegies on their own.

In Australia, a serve of vegies is about 75g, and a serve of fruit about 150g, so if you go by the UK guidelines, our recommendations would equal nearly 9 of their serves anyway.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    '
    (snip by reply-er)
    Also... 80 g of lettuce would be a lot of lettuce.

Nah. Yesterday's spinach salad had 95g of just spinach, just a nice salad bowl of it - not even thinking about the 132g of tomatoes and 202g of cucumber.

Sadly, I only had 65g of Spinach left for today's salad. :(

• It's about what I already eat. A serving of vegetables is not very large. If one wanted to meet that goal they would need only to have a serving of fruit with breakfast and one snack, and include one vegetable at breakfast, (say a veggie omelette) and something like a salad at lunch, or lettuce and tomato on a sandwich, and two vegetables at dinner. I have eaten way more than that a lot of days. Now it would take up some room that you would normally have other items, but it is not hard to get in that much. The biggest problem I think most people would have is trying to get it in every single day. I mean some days you just want something else. I think if the aim is to improve health a person should aim to get in a vegetable or two at lunch and dinner, and try for a serving of fruit in between. Too much of a good thing can b e just as bad as not enough.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    as of right now im not eating fruit, im eating 4 12oz serving of veggies per day lots of fiber and good fats from fish oil caps, and protein of course
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I average about 8-13 servings of veggies a day-- 3 at breakfast, 3 - 7 at lunch (huge salad usually) and 3-4 between dinner and snacks.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I made the mistake of having 764 grams of vegetables in one meal a few days ago. I can handle 350 in a meal, but 764 was way too much.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Most days I hit it easily, then I have days where I get only 3-4 servings. I am not a fruit eater (just don't care for most of it) so it's just vegetables for me.

Today was easy. I had sautéed cabbage and kale with turkey sausage for lunch. Spinach salad with strawberries and chicken breast for dinner.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Tum22 wrote: »
    It used to be five and now it is recommended to eat ten portions a day to avoid deaths from cancers/strokes and heart attacks. And what do you think is the best way to do this?

idk, i'm old enough to be cynical. i remember when it was four, and more and more i suspect they're just making this up.

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    What i don't understand is why they group everyone into an "average". Why should a 200lb man vs a 170 lbs man eat the same amount of fruits and vegetables? Or why a 120 lbs female should eat the same? It's never made sense to me, personally. Though i think *most* people do need to eat more i think it greatly ranges from person to person. I can't remember the exact website but they had a forumal that went based on weight to give you a round about answer that seemed to make more sense. I aim for about 3-4 servings and i seem to be doing good...
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    What i don't understand is why they group everyone into an "average". Why should a 200lb man vs a 170 lbs man eat the same amount of fruits and vegetables? Or why a 120 lbs female should eat the same? It's never made sense to me, personally. Though i think *most* people do need to eat more i think it greatly ranges from person to person. I can't remember the exact website but they had a forumal that went based on weight to give you a round about answer that seemed to make more sense. I aim for about 3-4 servings and i seem to be doing good...

Don't overthink this kind of message!
    It's really not targeted at people who use MFP - we mostly have a good handle on calorie needs and macros and that kind of stuff.

I think it's an attempt at setting a simple goal that everyone can understand and work towards, that is likely to be beneficial for their health. Just about every healthy eating guide I've ever seen encourages eating fruit and veg (in varying proportions) and it's something positive people can do and feel good about.
    It might encourage swapping snacks that are more calorie dense and possibly less nutritious and lead to positive eating behaviours across the generations.
    Note that I'm not saying all calorie dense foods are bad (clearly many are very good for you) or that there is anything wrong with having less nutritious/treat foods as part of an overall balanced diet, but as so many countries are seeing a rise in obesity, then this simple message is likely to be helpful for some people and may start them on the track of eating better.

I remember listening to a conference presentation several years ago that talked about a program providing fruit every day for all the kids at school in a remote town. It was one of those remote places in Australia where there are few shopping options, fresh food (all food actually) has to be trucked in and is expensive, and many families had significant health or social issues. Over time they noted a significant decrease in ear infections and an improvement in general health, and they were looking to expand the program to provide fruit and veg boxes to families to see if they could have an impact on health in the community generally.

Clearly it takes more than just adding an apple every day to improve someone's health, but it can be a small step in the right direction for some people so I am a fan of all these kind of "eat more fruit and veg" programs, regardless of what numbers they are trying to encourage this time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Tum22 wrote: »
    It used to be five and now it is recommended to eat ten portions a day to avoid deaths from cancers/strokes and heart attacks. And what do you think is the best way to do this?

idk, i'm old enough to be cynical. i remember when it was four, and more and more i suspect they're just making this up.

i think it was always 10, but 'they' thought that was too hard for people to do, so made it 5 which was supposed to be more manageable...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Wait... a serving of fruit/veg is only 80g?

That means the orange I had for breakfast was 3 servings. The apple I'll be having with lunch is 2 servings. So that's 5 already right there with just two fruits (what I consider two servings...) Then 1 serving of tomatoes (they're dried... so not sure actually... I just count the 50g dried as 1 serving) at lunch. 2 servings of salad with dinner and another 3 servings of broccoli. So that's another 6 servings if I follow that 80g per serving guideline (or what I would consider three servings to reach my 5 a day)...

Seems seriously weird to me.
    yes... I like veggies and fruits. The latter being partially responsible for my overweight. It's hard to cut down from 1-2kg a day to a paltry 400g...