Portion Size ( with pic)

nihscxie87wg.jpg

Do you think this portion size is too much for lunch? 5 oz salmon and 2 1/2 cups boiled vegetables

I've been gaining weight the last 3 weeks and not losing and I've been eating well, counting calories, lifting and exercising. So I wonder are my portions to big?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    If you can eat all of it in one sitting and it fits into your daily calorie goal, then it's not "too much".
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Does 5 ounces of salmon fit your calorie goal? The only reason portion size matters is as it relates to whether you are surpassing your calorie goal. Also, consider weighing everything rather than using cups.
  • It definitely fits within my calories for the day, I'm always quite under my calories everyday. I'm 5'6 148 at the moment. I fluctuate some days between 3-5 lbs. I drink green tea and plenty of water, no booze. Just really wishing I could start to see the lbs drop, I feel like I'm getting stronger, but really can't tell.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    It definitely fits within my calories for the day, I'm always quite under my calories everyday. I'm 5'6 148 at the moment. I fluctuate some days between 3-5 lbs. I drink green tea and plenty of water, no booze. Just really wishing I could start to see the lbs drop, I feel like I'm getting stronger, but really can't tell.

What is your daily calorie average?

What is your activity level and what kind of exercise (if any) do you do?

Have you started a new exercise program lately?

Do you tend to have wide fluctuations in carb or sodium in your diet?

How much fiber are you getting?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Outside of preference and/or some condition that requires regular eating, portion sizes are irrelevant. Calorie total(s) are relevant.

Some people eat 1-2 large portions, but lose weight. Some people eat 5-6 small portions, but lose weight. Some people eat 3 mid-size portions, but lose weight.

Others do some variation of the above and gain weight. Others maintain weight.

That's because their total Calories are low/high/just right enough such that they lose/gain/maintain weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    There is no way to tell from the picture. What size is the plate?
  • MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Is that a placemat or did you put your plate on the carpet for a stellar backdrop?

If it fits in your day then go for it.

Haha actually I'm just sitting on my rug as I posted this, would be one crazy placemat. Ha

• jemhh wrote: »
    It definitely fits within my calories for the day, I'm always quite under my calories everyday. I'm 5'6 148 at the moment. I fluctuate some days between 3-5 lbs. I drink green tea and plenty of water, no booze. Just really wishing I could start to see the lbs drop, I feel like I'm getting stronger, but really can't tell.

What is your daily calorie average? 1200 calories

Strength training, weights, body weight exercises, stair master 30 mins, or uphill walking on treadmill.

Not particular.

I don't really eat very many carbs and have been very aware of how much salt I'm taking in.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    If you're gaining you're likely eating more than you think. Since you mentioned cups - I'm going to assume you don't use a food scale? Do you use the recipe builder for foods you cook yourself? Are you accurately calculating the exercise calories you eat back? Get a food scale and work on the accuracy of your logging. Portion size doesn't matter if it fits in your calorie goals.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    is the topping on the salmon butter or a cheese? Are you weighing and counting that too? If not those calories add up.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Salmon is awesome, but you don't really know how much you're consuming if you don't weigh it. Grams are the most accurate unit of measurement. Cups and spoons should be used for liquids.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Use a digital food scale to measure your food- I have a feeling you aren't right now? Everything except liquids must be weighed for accuracy.
  • courtneyfabulous
    If anything your calorie intake sounds too low for your height and activity level do I have a feeling that you're not really eating 1200 calories.

Don't forget to count oils and butter used for cooking food too.
  • courtneyfabulous
    That would be too large a portion for me personally but I eat 5 or 6 mini meals a day so that's a perfectly fine amount for if you're doing like 3 meals a day. But portions don't matter really, just total calories.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

What is your daily calorie average? 1200 calories

Strength training, weights, body weight exercises, stair master 30 mins, or uphill walking on treadmill.

Not particular.

I don't really eat very many carbs and have been very aware of how much salt I'm taking in.

Is 1200 your goal that you are eating under or is it what you are actually eating?

Off the top of my head, my first thought is that you are eating more than you think. My reason for saying that is the weight gain and the fact that completing the exercises you listed on a regular basis would be difficult at only 1200 calories.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Here's my portion size for lunch. That is following a significant breakfast. And if supper isn't also significant then I'll be in a calorie deficit for the day. Everybody is different.
    nwultdad4fd3.jpg
  • courtneyfabulous
    Are you eating 1200 total or is 1200 your goal and you eat back exercise calories too? You could be overestimating your exercise calories.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2017
    It depends on how it fits your calorie. If you're gaining, then you're eating too many.

For the salmon is it farm raised or wild caught? Farm raised is much higher in fat. Could mean ~300 calories vs 150. Is any oil used in the preparation? Any other toppings not accounted for? How much did the veggies weigh?
    Do you think this portion size is too much for lunch? 5 oz salmon and 2 1/2 cups boiled vegetables

I've been gaining weight the last 3 weeks and not losing and I've been eating well, counting calories, lifting and exercising. So I wonder are my portions to big?