WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    R
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    My hair is brown/grey and the ratio is rapidly changing to grey. My husband has been silvery grey for years but it took until last year to finally admit that it was no longer brown. Both my girls have sprinkles of grey. They are 37 and almost 40. The older daughter is married to a guy who has been completely grey for years. Their 15 year old has some grey hair and does not like being reminded about it. I have often thought about coloring it, but the effort and money to keep it up is hard.

Karen, I am a deep alto also. In the church I was in before the one I am in now, there were many times that they put me in the tenor section since I was one of few men who could read music. I don't know why more women than men in church choirs know how to read music. My present choir has some really good tenors but sometimes the music is to high for them and us second altos are assigned their notes.

My butt has been dragging the ground today. I even laid down with the intent of going to sleep but I couldn't. Some of the people on my MS forum know when they are really tired, they need to go in and be checked to see if they have a bladder infection. So I don't know if that is the cause or not. This has to be better Sunday. I AM singing in my choir Sunday! We were supposed to go see the grandkids tomorrow but since the oldest has a commitment all day tomorrow we aren't going. I think I would have actually had to cancel anyway.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Ginger in TX: I am so impressed with your use of checkmarks on your goals each day. Every time I look, there are more check marks. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

hereslibby: Welcome! Tell us more about yourself. :smiley:

Barbie: Your hair is perfect. I think you look healthy and lovely. :flowerforyou:

Most of the women I know do not color their hair. This includes personal friends, women in our age group at the gym and the majority of my neighbors. All of us except one are 50 or older.

Yoga today was good. Afterward DH & I had lunch out and did a little food shopping. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to my riding lesson. I wonder whether Arrow will be an angel or devil.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • pipcd34
    edited February 2017
    total stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.26min, 14.2amph, 152mhr, 2.9mi = 129c
    apple watch- 110c
    0 runner- 40min, 141mhr, 120ahr, 39avlength, 11avheight, 106avcadence, 10.27min mi, 3.86mi = 312c
    apple watch- 314c
    bike ride gym 2 dome train station- 7.23min, 139mhr, 11.4amph, 1.4mi = 86c
    apple watch- 57c
    jog station 2 wk- 5.04min, 10.10min mi, 142ahr, 178mhr?, .4mi = 64c
    apple watch- 53c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.14min, 9.54min mi, 154mhr, .5mi = 81c
    apple watch- 62c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.24min, 8.5amph, 162mhr, 2.6mi =216c
    apple watch- 150c

total cal 888

$hitty day, I just want to explode and cry, don't know which
  • pipcd34
    someone asked. me what I was putting on my knees

bacitracin ointment
    coconut oil
    vasaline
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,745 Member
    pip ... why the bad day?
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Re – Talking a raise; the 3% raise I got with my SSD check actually made it go up $1 … get you anyway they can … Medicare premium went up enough to wipe that 3% out. What makes it even worse is my retirement check went down thanks to my health insurance going up $38; in 2 years it has gone up a total of $83 (thanks, I am sure to the Affordable Care Act, which isn’t very affordable). That is a payment on another bill I could be making. Sort of suxs IMHO.

Jolenec1 – The more you exercise the more protein you need to be taking it.

I am having the hardest time trying to balance my checkbook. I ‘hide’ money in another area, so I won’t spend it all; but, this time I don’t know what I did. I usually can balance it without a hitch. I’ve gone back to the point where I did balance; and, still off. But, getting closer. Checked my addition/subtraction, nothing wrong there. When I use my DC, I post it in my register as soon as I get ‘in my car’ after using it. I’m a little anal when it comes to knowing, to the penny, what I have in the bank. Today, I went to the bank and asked for a copy of my statement (to date); but, all I got was up to the last statement. Which doesn’t tell me squat. I did not exercise to much yesterday and swore I’d make it up today. Guess, I lied to myself about that. Will jump on the treadmill as soon as I finish my coffee.

DJ – Love the Marie Kondo “Spark Joy” … I have gotten rid of a lot of things; most of what you have; but, then I bring them back inside.

Michele – Retirement age? Benefits of living in FL over living in NC? I’m afraid I would be choosing FL. LOL!

Panko7 – The ‘gray’ I have in my hair is ‘platinum’ (very white); I would like to have my sister’s hair – Been totally white since she was in her 30’s. She started ‘praying for it’ to be ‘white’ after we moved to the ‘big house’ and a neighbor’s hair was totally white. Depending on how I part my hair depends on how much it is shows.

Joyce – I am sort of between an ‘alto’ and ‘soprano’; but, my singing ‘suxs’ at best. Hard to do either one alone. A lot has to do with the ‘song’.

Becca – It’s good that you have somewhere to go play a piano. I like cleaning up to violin or piano music. It takes my mind off what I am doing.

Marni in Alaska – Love the earrings!

Gloria in WA – If I don’t get my butt up and exercise (starting tonight) I am going to be ‘finding’ those pounds when I go back for weigh-in; but, I have 2 weeks.

Katla – I grew up washing my face with Neutrogena. Was not subject to having acne; the only one of the 3 of us that did, was my oldest sister. She had tried Merle Norman products on her face and ended up having to go to a Dermatologist because it ‘burnt’ her face up. He had to do some sort of ‘peel’; and, that cleared up her acne.

Neither of the other 2 of us ever used it. We all used a cream called “Sixteen Lotion” that the grandfather/parent of one of her friends would keep us supplied in it. He used it when he shaved men’s hair, to keep it from breaking out. We’d put it on at night and wash it off in the morning. Have not seen it since we were ‘in HS school’ … not even at the Beauty Supply houses. It was great.

Queen in PA – Maybe have them ‘lightened’ a little. Or trying to make them look lighter by using some ‘taupe’ eyebrow mascara? I use a cross between a light brown and a light taupe to ‘draw’ in my eyebrows; after using a light brown eyebrow mascara; my eyebrows are very thin. I wish I had thick, well-shaped eyebrows. Once I put it on, it drives me ‘crazy’; and, want to ‘scratch’ them; but, I don’t wear foundation either.

Lenora (left off at page 66)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited February 2017
    Here is my siblings and their varied degree of white hair. Shortest guy is the baby brother, I think about 58. I don't know why he is so gray. Other brother is the one we all call our older brother. Now my sister and I are older than him but he has just taken over that role after Dad died. The brothers are 14 months apart. Now us girls. My sister Norma is the one that is slumped over. She is the oldest by 18 months over me. Then there is me. So it's me, then m brother Paul, then John and Norma. We are able to get together once a year and I think this was taken January of 2016.h3mo1kdoc3sn.jpeg

The reason why it is so grainy is because I took a picture on my iPad from my Facebook page. When Paul performed my youngest daughter Michelle's marriage, he said we all had been married 170 years. Mom and Dad had been married for 56 years and our kids have a total of about 40 years. We choose well.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    The good news from Sasha's $400.00 day at the vet was that the x-ray didn't show anything wrong. The bad news is that it didn't show anything wrong. We don't have the money for an MRI. Sasha doesn't seem to be in pain or walking badly but her back leg shakes at times and she has lost weight. We're going to give her some mild pain meds and see if that makes a difference.
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Sharon - Sorry about Larry's Brothers. Hope everything turns out good for both. Will say a prayer for your family.

Chris in MA - thank you for the information about planting tulips. I will research that.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Carey – My middle sister had a DVD of a routine of ‘ballet moves’. Did not last all that long; and, all 3 of us could barely move the next day.

Lanette – I ‘deactivated’ my FB account; because of all the ‘drama’ … I think it is one thing to ‘post’ on a thread like this that is much better than putting things on FB for anybody to see. I think we are a lot of wonderful gals here, too.

KJ – I can understand where she is coming from; but, at least the last few months were not in the ‘heat’ of South Georgia/Middle Georgia. I had to move 2+ hours away from my OB/GYN and in a ‘high risk pregnancy’. It was a good thing he is from Macon and went to medical college with an OB/GYN who practiced in Macon. Six OB’s in the practice; and, the only one I did not rotate to was the one who delivered my DYS and his wife and I were in Women’s Club together. We were at a supper one night and he asked who my OB was, and, I told him and that I was supposed to see him for the first time on Friday. He looked down at my tummy and said, ‘you’re not going to make it’. He was a ‘sweetheart’.

Karen in Virginia – We are all keeping Olivia and all y’all in our prayers. Two things I have always wanted to do is be ‘able’ to sing; and, play a violin or fiddle.

Lanette – I bought 3 pair of readers; and, every time I put them on, the back of both ears have blisters in a few days of doing so. Could not decide if they were just too tight on my head or what; but, then I broke out along the bottom of my jaw. It hurt like a SOB, burned, and itched. I was afraid that I had the start of a case of the Shingles. But, cleared up overnight once I changed glasses.\

I grew up eating salt pork (ham hocks), black-eyed peas, collard greens for wealth, health and all that on New Year's Day. This year, we ate pizza! So much for luck and all that. I don't see any difference (yet).

Becca – Sisters/brothers can sometimes be ‘quite touchy’ … they don’t realize what they post (or ‘like’) on FB without talking to someone ‘first’ about whether they ‘want it shared’ can sometimes cause ‘hard feelings’.

I ‘deactivated’ my FB account; because of all the ‘trash talk’ I had been subjected to and blocked this particular former husband of a friend; but, seems like if we have a ‘common’ friend; I will see what he posts to her anyway. That is what I cannot get through my DDnL#1’s head. She thinks everything is ‘so protected’ by the way she has her settings checked. DDnL#2 had ‘deactivated’ her account; but, had to ‘reactivate’ it now that her daughter made the cheerleading squad at school; because that is how the sponsor will let them know about things. She wasn’t too happy about it; because now she will have to ‘read’ through a lot of ‘junk’ to get to her important posts.

NSV – I don’t know the difference between Juniors or Misses; but, yesterday I went looking for some ‘skinny jeans’ to go under and ‘dress’ that was way too short to wear as a dress (it is a little long as a tunic); but, somewhere in between. Found these ‘just the right color’ skinny jeans to go with the top to wear to DDnL#2’s Granny’s funeral yesterday. This afternoon found that they go ‘exactly’ with a top I had bought (because I loved it); and, had nothing that really went with it. This pair of skinny jeans did the job. Two birds killed with the same stone.

Joyce – In Dec and Jan I had 4 back-to-back urinary tract infections. I was exhausted! Sorry you had to cancel your time with your grandkids. I know my DGDs are getting to that age where ‘things’ they are doing are more important than ‘hanging with grandparents’. Madison and her Mom found a prom dress for her. Loved the skirt; but, did not like the top at all. She is 'overly' modest. They were able to find a ‘dress’ blouse to go with it (pretty much the same material, only a little softer and lighter); and, Tony had cut it down; she is supposed to go it and get him to ‘fit’ it to her, so it won’t come up if she lifts her hands above her armpits. It has short sleeves in it. It will cost about $30 for Tony to make it into a top to go with the skirt. One of DDnL#1’s friends is probably going to come over and braid her hair; but, the prom is not until April.

Canookie – Love the kitten throwing the dog up in the air. When Shorty (our JRT) was still living, she would be sitting outside; and, the cat would come running up behind her, and would run over and butt her and knock her off her feet/butt. Shorty could not hear him; and, it would always surprise her, because she was going blind, and did not know what had hit her. But, she’d get even with him. Every time.

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends,

I'm with Gloria in that I'm behind but just wanted to check in. Won't respond to anyone tonight as I'm ready for bed. Had dinner with my friend and ordered a salad with chicken on it. I did splurge (since I had saved up calories) and had a touch of Ranch dressing. It was yummy. I just dipped my fork in it a few times. Water with lemon to drink. The Legends Show was good. They had Tina Turner, Alan Jackson, The Blues Brothers, Michael Jackson and Elvis. All of them were good and the Michael Jackson could really dance. Time to rinse my sinuses and go to bed. (Neti Pot time that is.)

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Beth I agree with you about Heather.

I am fortunate because I don't mind letting my hair go gray. When a black and white photo is taken I look plantinum blonde. I am fortunate to have nice healthy hair, too.

Getting the kitchen ceiling painted. I wanted it done before DH surgery on Monday. I should have the bulk of it done. It is a big kitchen so it is not a small job. It needed to be repainted because of a leak from our upstairs tub. We has that repaired last April. Finally getting to it. I put it off because I know it would be a big job.
  • hereslibby
    hereslibby Posts: 93 Member
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I am 52, have 2 girls (34 & 28) 6 g-kids.
    I started trying to loose weight (again) last spring. Lost about 10lbs & maintained it, but needed a push to loose more. I found the MFP app mid January. Thought I would try it to see if it would help me. Boy has it! I have lost almost 10lbs in 30 days.
    (I only weigh myself every 2 weeks b/c I like to see a bigger change.haha! ) Trying to loose about 1 lb a week.
    The app has made be more responsible for what I put in my mouth. I am actually eating things I like but haven't in years b/c my other half doesn't like them. He doesn't realize I have lost any weight. Not imagining it, he has flat out told me that he hasn't noticed. So I don't disuss it with him any more.
    I am blonde, no gray yet, but my oldest daughter started getting gray at 15. She is now all gray. She had been coloring her hair, but decided last year to stop, and to embrace her gray for HER daughter. She wanted to show her she should be proud of who she is & not cover it up.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    <3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    hereslibby wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I am 52, have 2 girls (34 & 28) 6 g-kids.
    I started trying to loose weight (again) last spring. Lost about 10lbs & maintained it, but needed a push to loose more. I found the MFP app mid January. Thought I would try it to see if it would help me. Boy has it! I have lost almost 10lbs in 30 days.
    (I only weigh myself every 2 weeks b/c I like to see a bigger change.haha! ) Trying to loose about 1 lb a week.
    The app has made be more responsible for what I put in my mouth. I am actually eating things I like but haven't in years b/c my other half doesn't like them. He doesn't realize I have lost any weight. Not imagining it, he has flat out told me that he hasn't noticed. So I don't disuss it with him any more.
    I am blonde, no gray yet, but my oldest daughter started getting gray at 15. She is now all gray. She had been coloring her hair, but decided last year to stop, and to embrace her gray for HER daughter. She wanted to show her she should be proud of who she is & not cover it up.

Well I think its terrific that you have decided to take control of your health and future by taking care of you. A 10 pound loss is something to celebrate. "Other half" will just have to get over himself lol. Come and share with us and we will cheer you on, pull you up and even a bit of a kick in the backside if needed. We are a supportive, encouraging group of caring ladies. Glad you have joined us.

Janetr OKC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Hereslibby welcome to a great place! Congrats upon your weight loss thus far! (Just did a mental cartwheel for ya)!! Don't take it to heart about what husband said men are just wired different than us. I lost an amazing amount of weight once, thanks to a lady named Jenni Craig, and husband never realized it! He knew I had lost weight but I never told him thee specifics and he never asked! This time I will spout it over and over while he is sleeping so his brain will get it. Of course I plan to sing it all over town, when I get to my goal weight! Haha!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK <3
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Morning all.

We had a lovely time in our wine getaway. I enjoyed every one of the calories in the special dinner and breakfast. The breakfast I could log easily, but I wasn't sure what to do with the dinner. It was a tasting menu with seven courses of tiny, rich dishes. Finally I quick added 3000 calories. MFP told me that if I ate like that every day, I would gain 10 pounds in 5 weeks! The good news is that by eating extra light at lunch and dinner last night, this morning I weighed exactly what I did before I went. It is nice to know that I can have an occasional splurge without derailing my weight loss progress.

The downside from the getaway is that between the seven hours drive to the funeral on Monday and the long drive to the wine country and touring around, the tendon that gives me problems is acting up. It hurts to walk, so I will have to ease up for a few days.

Charleen, Lenora, Becky and Hereslibby: Congratulations on the weight loss!

Charleen: love the closet organizer.

Carey: I am a big Lesley Sansone fan. I am using one of her beginner walks on youtube.

Rita: Hope the house sale goes through and you and DH can hit the road. We spend several months of the year on the Oregon Coast, where DH volunteers at one of the National Forest Service parks. There are always several RV couples there. They volunteer a few days at the centre and then park and get their electricity free while they are there. The rest of the time they are free to explore the area. Some of them spend about half the year going from park to park that way.

Leigh in France