What's your career and do you love it?

Replies

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    I love what I do, but I hate the *kitten* that goes on in my office. I have my bachelors in software engineering, associates in network engineering. I work for the Marine Corps, doing IT work for the organization that runs their programs, recreation, clubs, lodging, and stores. I like knowing what I do everyday is making the lives of our Marines and their families just a little easier.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    138shades wrote: »
    Mental Health Therapist......at a MAX Prison by day..........and Family Therapist in the evenings inside of homes.

helping people can drive you insane at times.

So many of you in this thread are working in prisons!
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    I practiced law for awhile but became an admin law judge when I started having kids (more time to raise them). Quit for several years (worth it because none of my kids have been incarcerated) and now I'm a part time hearing officer. I loooove my job and the people I work with. Luckily, hubster makes good money.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Well I am retired now. But I was 20yrs with the US Air Force. Mostly space program stuff...like Cheyenne Mtn (bet you'd like to know if there is a stargate in there) doing space surveillance and nuclear detection, space shuttle payloads, developmental systems for suborbital rockets, R&D satellites, a bit of a detour overseas supporting the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, then back to space launches at Cape Canaveral. Really loved every second of it.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Accountant...I neither love it, nor do I hate it...it pays the bills and affords me a pretty nice life but it's not what I'd be doing if I didn't have to worry about money.

Sorta the same. Corporate Finance - CPA, MBA. Also a very nice life but not what I would be doing if it were not for the money.

I'll jump on the band wagon. Ironically, a number of middle age (I'm assuming) Finance professionals that are overweight and have too much time to spend on MFP going through the Chit Chats. NOTE: If you want to make decent money, hate your job and have time to surf the interweb, Accounting is your calling!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    utahjulia wrote: »
    138shades wrote: »
    Mental Health Therapist......at a MAX Prison by day..........and Family Therapist in the evenings inside of homes.

helping people can drive you insane at times.

So many of you in this thread are working in prisons!

Prison is a growth industry in this country. Not surprising to see lots of employment in the field.
  • baboontester
    baboontester Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2017
    I work firm an IT firm. Servers, networks, PCs, etc. I do love what I do. You never know what you'll work on from day to day sometimes. I get to meet new people as well as build relationships with the familiar clients. I don't really dislike anyone I work with or for. It's nice.
  • Nitroalley2
    Nitroalley2 Posts: 3,419 Member
    shadowloss wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Accountant...I neither love it, nor do I hate it...it pays the bills and affords me a pretty nice life but it's not what I'd be doing if I didn't have to worry about money.

Sorta the same. Corporate Finance - CPA, MBA. Also a very nice life but not what I would be doing if it were not for the money.

I'll jump on the band wagon. Ironically, a number of middle age (I'm assuming) Finance professionals that are overweight and have too much time to spend on MFP going through the Chit Chats. NOTE: If you want to make decent money, hate your job and have time to surf the interweb, Accounting is your calling!

Checked your profile and I am further downstream than you. Looking all the way back I had a professor warn me about the sedentary lifestyle. Just as basic finances should be taught, a better nutrition/health curriculum should be inlcuded in highschool. I played plenty of sports as a youth but none of the kind that you can continue to play thorughout your lifetime. And the money can be exceptional in finance if you are with the right firm.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Personal trainer and Precision Nutrition Coach.
    Absolutely love helping people change their lives!
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    About a year ago I was promoted to new career. I make a great wage and have a giant office with massive windows in the heart of downtown. I believe in my company's mission and have a decent boss. But...the work. Basically I respond to emails with the same cut-and-paste message day in and day out. I am bored and under-stimulated to say the least.
  • Dyl1789
    Dyl1789 Posts: 2,933 Member
    I'm a paraplanner, do i enjoy it????...i used to until my industry became so over regulated
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Athletic/Armed Forces Personal trainer and combat coach as well as sports nutritionist.
    Also, hotel manager.. just, to switch things up a bit!

Yeah I love my careers, both of them - differently!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Sales & Marketing
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Sex operator...I'm not proud of it but pays the bills ....I just say all the things they wanna hear & then charge them ....Believe it or not it's a lot of women that call & they wanna talk about their fantasies of shoe shopping & eating ice cream...So I indulge them "Really?So how many pairs do u want? So u like shoes huh? & how does Mint chocolate chip sound?Ooooooh!" & they start screaming.....It's pretty routine ,but it's a job .......
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    kwph wrote: »
    Sex operator...I'm not proud of it but pays the bills ....I just say all the things they wanna hear & then charge them ....Believe it or not it's a lot of women that call & they wanna talk about their fantasies of shoe shopping & eating ice cream...So I indulge them "Really?So how many pairs do u want? So u like shoes huh? & how does Mint chocolate chip sound?Ooooooh!" & they start screaming.....It's pretty routine ,but it's a job .......

So ummm how much do you charge per minute?

• kwph
    Ya mean hour
  • kwph
    I am running a St Patrick's Day special....Just throwing it out there ...Plus I'll take ya clothes/shoe shopping
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    I spent my career in the radio business and I retired but retirement got old real fast and what used to be my hobby is now my freelance job: web developer. It's a blast.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    kwph wrote: »
    I am running a St Patrick's Day special....Just throwing it out there ...Plus I'll take ya clothes/shoe shopping

Im in ..give me your number :p
  • kwph
    U should have it already