• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Are you logging here? Open your diary.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    clh1228 wrote: »
    ...I am definitely looking for another PCP/doctor. I am a science educator and can't abide by someone telling me to do things like follow a 500 calorie diet, get hcg shots at a quick weight loss facility, don't count calories because it is too stressful (I did anyway because I was afraid of not knowing how "far off" I might be), and to pray about my weight loss. Yes, she did all of that...

What the...? :o
    Time for a new doctor.

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Even with a thyroid issue at your height weight and activity level it should be impossible not to be losing weight when you eat between 1000 and 1200 calories... is that your total for the day or do you also eat exercise calories?
    If you eat exercise calories back maybe you are drastically over estimating how much you burn?
    Or maybe you USUALLY eat between 1000 and 1200 but then occasionally go out to eat and have a large indulgent meal and don't track? Or sometimes have binge days? Or sleep eat??
    There has to be more calories going in than you've stated for you not to be losing weight.

Also are you sure you're not losing weight over all? You said you dropped weight when you were on 500 cals a day- so you're capable of losing. Do you gain it back when you go back to eating 1000? Maybe you are losing weight but you're just expecting faster weight loss than the rate you're actually losing at?? It's going to be slower than you expect, but any weight loss is still progress.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Also 4 weeks is not really long enough to judge wether weight loss is happening. Day to day fluctuations will be greater than your actual loss rate so you can't really tell how much you've lost until you're a few months in and tracked your weight and the general trend is going down. 1 month is too short a time frame. I'd say keep counting calories, stay consistent, and be prepared for the fact that getting to a normal weight is going to take a WHILE. Like maybe a year or more. It's not going to happen in 4 weeks.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

It will result in weight loss in all cases.

I only said "should" to cover my bases. :smile: As stated before, I know weight loss is a simple concept (and as mentioned above, that doesn't necessarily mean it's easy).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    1) Yes, I weigh my food with an accurate, digital food scale.
    2) Yes, I exercise. I walk 3-4 times per week and do weight training about twice per week. I hiked this past Saturday up and down a mountain a total of 7.5 miles.
    3) I have seen an endocrinologist against my doctor's wishes. He said my thyroid was trending toward an issue and that he would like to try me on medication once it hits the magical TSH of 4.0. Wasn't a great fan of him, but at least he sort of listened a little.
    4) I am definitely looking for another PCP/doctor. I am a science educator and can't abide by someone telling me to do things like follow a 500 calorie diet, get hcg shots at a quick weight loss facility, don't count calories because it is too stressful (I did anyway because I was afraid of not knowing how "far off" I might be), and to pray about my weight loss. Yes, she did all of that.
    5) I gave up 80% of my carbs this past month with little to no results. My breakfast is typically 2 eggs and an apple or with spinach (no cheese) omelette.

Thank you for all of the help. I am going to try some of the things you mentioned. It's just hard to know where to start when I've pretty much never been successful. I was 200 lbs by age 14, so I've never been thin since age 8.

Good! Stick around and take note of the "stickied" threads in the new user forums. These are goldmines of great simple information. Open up your diary and have someone with experience review this. Mine is open by the way if you care to review.

Definitely go with an endocrinologist. This is far too specific for a general practitioner to tackle. The good news is with hormonal issues is that these will often improve with weight loss.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You mentioned one doc gave you a realistic diet plan that you liked but she left after 3 months. Why are you not following the plan that doc gave you? Why don't you post the plan here so we can see it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @clh1228 , You seem to be fixated on blaming your thyroid for your obesity. As has already been pointed out, your thyroid is not the responsible party, you are. Get your thyroid issues treated, by all medical means, but your obesity is a separate problem with separate solutions.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    A quick fix won't do you any good in the long run. First of all reset your mindset - you can lose weight with a healthy lifestyle. Eat healthy clean foods - how about giving up all processed foods for lent (even if you aren't Catholic)? Move as much as possible. Stop the excuses. Set your calorie goals to what MFP says for a 1-1.5 lb loss per week. See where you are in a month - and then adjust. A couple of things I've learned on this journey (lost just over 150 lbs), if you have an oops - get right back on track. Don't wait until Monday or even tomorrow. Get back on track now! I set my weight loss goals at 25 per quarter - 2 lbs. per week. I come close to that. It's just too daunting to think "I have 100 lbs to lose". Good luck!
  • TreesOfYavanna
    TreesOfYavanna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1) Yes, I weigh my food with an accurate, digital food scale.
    2) Yes, I exercise. I walk 3-4 times per week and do weight training about twice per week. I hiked this past Saturday up and down a mountain a total of 7.5 miles.
    3) I have seen an endocrinologist against my doctor's wishes. He said my thyroid was trending toward an issue and that he would like to try me on medication once it hits the magical TSH of 4.0. Wasn't a great fan of him, but at least he sort of listened a little.
    4) I am definitely looking for another PCP/doctor. I am a science educator and can't abide by someone telling me to do things like follow a 500 calorie diet, get hcg shots at a quick weight loss facility, don't count calories because it is too stressful (I did anyway because I was afraid of not knowing how "far off" I might be), and to pray about my weight loss. Yes, she did all of that.
    5) I gave up 80% of my carbs this past month with little to no results. My breakfast is typically 2 eggs and an apple or with spinach (no cheese) omelette.

Thank you for all of the help. I am going to try some of the things you mentioned. It's just hard to know where to start when I've pretty much never been successful. I was 200 lbs by age 14, so I've never been thin since age 8.

Bit of a long shot and I am no expert, but...do you have any food intolerances? Could it be possible that inflammation is playing a role here?

Have you tried an allergist or doing a food elimination?
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You should be losing weight as you are doing everything right. I agree, don't fixate on your thyroid there are other medical causes of obesity. For example scientists have discovered three viruses that cause obesity and 30% of obese people test positive for it. Normal weight people test positive for it too but it's unknown if they've just been infected or if they're just working harder to stay at a healthy weight. but I guess you could look into it for answers. http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20070820/obesity-virus-more-bigger-fat-cells.
    Also have you been evaluated for Cushings or PCOS?

• courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I still think you just need to stick to it longer and be consistent. Appropriate macros can help too- do you meet your protein goals? How about carbs and fats? I would increase calories slightly or at least stick to 1200 (not 1000). Keep going another month or 2 and let us know how it goes. You don't need the weight loss drugs- but maybe some medication for your thyroid if it's not functioning properly.