''Size 10 is for teenagers''

Sooo... I'm in New Zealand. I'm 5'8 and my goal weight is between 60 and 75kg. I want to be around 17-20% body fat.

Based on past experiences, my family doesn't think I can do it. They think a size 10 is ridiculous for me at my height and possibly because I haven't had much success with weightloss in the last year.

The crazy thing is though, I have a friend who is slightly taller who is about a size 4. In my opinion, she is way too thin, but a size 10 is 3 sizes above that, so it seems ok.

I'm not particularly curvy, I have small hips and basically no boobs. I am a medium to large frame.

I told another friend who is the same height as me my goal weight and she also thinks it would be too thin for me. She thinks I would be able to get into a size 10 at 75kg because she was able to.

Picking a dress size/goal weight is hard. I have some idea of how I want to look. I think I would probably be a size 10 on top and a 12 on bottom. I would love to be a 6-8 but I don't know how realistic that is.

Replies

• healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Oh, just to clarify, the title quote is something my sister said to me.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Oh, just to clarify, the title quote is something my sister said to me.

Seeing as how there are various builds out there it's frankly an ignorant comment. I still wouldn't set a clothing size goal.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 145 lbs (66 kg) - small frame - I wear a size 3/4 or XS in pants/skirts and a S/M in tops...I have 3 kids and fairly big hips for my frame...

You are younger and you can totally do this!!!! Don't listen to your family, you are the only one who can determine your future.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    A dress size for goal, is not something I would pick either. sizes are different in different countries, brands, so on.
    When i started my fitness journey, my goal, was to get back into my size 6 jeans, when I actually felt like I had lost enough and decided to try those jeans on, they were falling off me!
    I'm not at your height, only 5 ft here, but my current comfortable size is 00, and I am not considered thin, got some good amount of muscles, I have worked so hard for!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2017
    Pick 75kg as your first goal. When you get there, celebrate a little, then re-evaluate and decide if you want to keep going.

I am 5'8.5" and a size 10 US in most things. Definitely not a teenager.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Sooo... I'm in New Zealand. I'm 5'8 and my goal weight is between 60 and 75kg. I want to be around 17-20% body fat.

This should be your goal...
    Picking a dress size/goal weight is hard. I have some idea of how I want to look. I think I would probably be a size 10 on top and a 12 on bottom. I would love to be a 6-8 but I don't know how realistic that is.

Not this....

• sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    I wouldn't set a size last summer I bought 4 pairs of shorts from the same store and all 4 were different sizes from 3-6 (Canadian/us sizing)
  • healthypelican
    I wouldn't set a size last summer I bought 4 pairs of shorts from the same store and all 4 were different sizes from 3-6 (Canadian/us sizing)

That's crazy!
  • KatyBell164
    KatyBell164 Posts: 104 Member
    Size 10 (USA) right now, and I'm 26 and mom of 2 - still have 30 pounds to go! c3xuz1occ9on.jpg
  • healthypelican
    Size 10 (USA) right now, and I'm 26 and mom of 2 - still have 30 pounds to go! c3xuz1occ9on.jpg

Cute clothes and hair! how tall are you?
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    I'm 5'9 and 150lbs (prefer 140-145) have clothes anywhere from an XS to an XXL in my closet that fit me. Generally I'm a size 6 jeans/dress. Not sure if US have different sizes. Maybe you could have a goal outfit? Or just pick the higher end of that goal and reassess as you get closer.

As others say, fitness goals are a lot more fun to strive for :p
  • Well, a NZ 10 is like a US 6, if you are 5'8 - and a 132-165 is a wide range. A 10 might be attainable at 132 and higher BF. It might be attainable at a 164 and a lower BF. 17-20% body fat would put you in the ranks of athletes. Totally doable, but it will definitely take a fair amount of focus on your diet and exercise.

To be honest, I'd just do what I do and see where I end up. I don't know how much of a loss/lifestyle change we're talking about but I've had the most success when I wasn't getting caught up envisioning the end point, but paying attention to the details of day to day successes.

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Id quit talking to other people and listening to their opinions on my health. Problem solved. I do agree with the others that working toward healthy indicators rather than weight/clothes size is best.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Im 5'7". I can wear an 8, 10, 12, and 14 at any moment, each from different manufacturers or different styles. Most people think I wear a 6-8, but in reality it's mostly 10-12. Size is a random number. It means nothing
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    My daughter is 5'9" and she looks perfectly smashing at 140 lbs (whereas I'm 5'5" and look too heavy at the same weight). I agree, don't worry about clothing size; focus on health and feeling good. Us shorties have to work harder to keep a normal weight, but I try not to get too focused on "thin" and aim for "health."
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member

That's crazy!
    It was and they all fit the same that day helped me let go of worrying about size.. sometimes I still get sad when im an M or L in some brands when im used to being an S but clearly it all means nothing lol
  • lisabinco wrote: »
    My daughter is 5'9" and she looks perfectly smashing at 140 lbs (whereas I'm 5'5" and look too heavy at the same weight). I agree, don't worry about clothing size; focus on health and feeling good. Us shorties have to work harder to keep a normal weight, but I try not to get too focused on "thin" and aim for "health."

This largely has to do with body composition. I am 5'3, at 140 pounds, I wear a 4-6. That is the same size the OP is talking about. At 5'5 140 is perfectly "normal" weight.