Brenda's OMAD Journey

Replies

• EVP_NZ
    EVP_NZ Posts: 117 Member
    It might be good to see if @arguablysamson would weigh in on this topic.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    @EVP_NZ Good idea :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    @blambo61 and @DebSozo I will be careful.

Yesterday I had 2 eggs with cheese on toast and a bowl of popcorn cooked in coconut oil and it was about 550 calories...Wow, this made me realize that I'm already eating this amount of calories in some of my other meals anyway so I guess I'm not really changing my plan :p

Some days the most calories I eat a is 800...Is this even enough??? I'm losing weight so I'm guessing it is but could I be losing more if I ate more calories??? This is so confusing to me!!!

I've read of people doing up to a 1-yr fast in Jason Fungs book without ill effects except higher uric acid blood concentrations if I remember right. Although people can fast for a long time, I wouldn't go too low for long time-periods without a Drs. supervision. You WILL lose muscle eating that way for long periods of time. Intermittently, I don't think it would be a problem. Just my opinion. You will probably slow your metabolism a lot I would think if you did that all the time for a long time. IMHO.
  • Brendalea69
    @blambo61 that's just it, I don't know how too low is but I'm hoping Joe can help me with this question.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited March 2017
    My question is: Why? Is there a need for the change? As I recall, you have not that much to lose. What has prompted a change? And remind me of your average weekly loss? And my point in emphasizing this is to remind you that, as you progress toward maintenance, it's important to gradually up the calories and branch out a bit and normalize. Then again, maybe I don't have all the details yet.
  • Brendalea69
    edited March 2017
    @arguablysamson I was going to change because I'm starting to add back in more carbs and was afraid that I'm going to start gaining because of it, but I've decided not to change because once I started counting my calories I realized that Im already not getting enough...My average weekly loss is 1-2 LBs a week and I have 18 LBs more to lose...My calorie counter says I should be getting 1200 calories a day and sometimes I'm only getting half that, maybe I should start eating foods with more calories and not worry about low carb anymore?
  • arguablysamson
    @arguablysamson I was going to change because I'm starting to add back in more carbs and was afraid that I'm going to start gaining because of it, but I've decided not to change because once I started counting my calories I realized that Im already not getting enough...My average weekly loss is 1-2 LBs a week and I have 18 LBs more to lose...My calorie counter says I should be getting 1200 calories a day and sometimes I'm only getting half that, maybe I should start eating foods with more calories and not worry about low carb anymore?

I've got to do a video on this because that seems to be the hardest thing--fear of regaining weight. It's unjustified because you have the tools to beat it. You are losing fine. And judging by how you feel overall, if you are getting "too few" calories, then your body would be sending you signals....subtle, then sinister signals that would be progressively harder to ignore. But of course, since you are getting ready to transition into maintenance, this might be a next step. Gradually increase the amount you eat, but keep it in relation to how you feel, lose, and function. Those are always the tells.

One other tip: Remember that your actual "goal weight" should be ten lbs under your top-level goal weight. So 28 lbs down would be your true goal weight instead of 18. This begins your experimentation period.
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    One other tip: Remember that your actual "goal weight" should be ten lbs under your top-level goal weight. So 28 lbs down would be your true goal weight instead of 18. This begins your experimentation period.

Wow, what an awesome pro tip!
  • Brendalea69
    edited March 2017
    @arguablysamson, I now understand and thanks for explaining about the transitioning...About the Goal Weight, does this mean I need to lose 28 more LBs so that I have a 10 Lb window to work with?

I'm looking forward to that video about regaining weight :)
  • arguablysamson
    @arguablysamson, I now understand and thanks for explaining about the transitioning...About the Goal Weight, does this mean I need to lose 28 more LBs so that I have a 10 Lb window to work with?

Yes, it does.

:-)
  • Brendalea69
    edited March 2017

Yes, it does.

:-)

Thanks for the clarification because I had no idea!!! :)
  • Brendalea69
    No weight loss this week :( Do you think it's because I'm adding back in more carbs?
  • MandyxSchmitz
    MandyxSchmitz Posts: 29 Member
    I need to come to your house for supper :)
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Some weeks are weird. I like weighing myself daily because it gives me more visibility as to what's going on, and also it's educational to know that some days, the weight either piles on or off with no evident rhyme or reason. But I know that Joe recommends weekly weigh ins, so consider this advice an outlier ;)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    When going from LC to having carbs, I think your guaranteed to gain a lb or two. I think a person stores more glycogen outside of ketosis than when in it. If you maintain a deficit, I think you will lose again after that initial gain.
  • Brendalea69
    I need to come to your house for supper :)

LOL You should check out the thread called (show us your meals or describe them!!) It shows lots of good meals :)
  • Brendalea69
    edited March 2017
    @leveejohn and @blambo61 Thanks for the advice I didn't gain so I'm going to continue adding in carbs and hope I get back to losing soon :)
  • Brendalea69
    I just watched Joe's youtube video from yesterday and he answered questions about gaining after adding carbs back into your eating plan :) He also answered other questions!!!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Personally, and this is just my advice, I would not add any more additional carbs for now until you can maintain your weight. If you find yourself adding, maybe you can decrease your amount by a tiny bit.

I'm no expert though :) Just trying to help out.
  • Brendalea69
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Personally, and this is just my advice, I would not add any more additional carbs for now until you can maintain your weight. If you find yourself adding, maybe you can decrease your amount by a tiny bit.

I'm no expert though :) Just trying to help out.

I'm only adding carbs back in gradually and not too many...Im going to give my body time to adjust and if I dont start losing soon I will go back to lower carb, at least until I reach goal...Thanks :)