I'm Starving!

2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I'm with those wondering about that calorie goal. Look over your day and ask yourself a few questions. 1) Were you hungry all day, or just between lunch and supper? 2) Was there something that increased your stress which made you want to eat more? (wondering because you mentioned Big Mac, that's one of my go to for stress eating) 3) How much water or other liquids are you drinking during the day? Some people have found that their hunger signals are messed up and that drinking a glass of water helps with food cravings because they are actually thirsty. 4) Would you feel more full if you made some changes? Others mentioned proteins and fats. I look at my protein and fat goals as minimums, and fill in the rest with carbs. I also try to bulk my meals with lots of veggies. They are lower calorie, higher fibre, and have some great nutrients (depending on which veggie you chose). For the next couple days, consider increasing your calorie intake, and play around with some different foods to see if you can find something that helps you feel full longer.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    You haven't eaten much protein with all those simple carbs. Your blood sugar is messing with you...
  • crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    Eat loads of veg. I had a soup with half a kilo of vegetables and it was only about 200cal. I was so full for hours. For breakfast I have oatmeal with fruit, it also keeps me really full. I snack on more fruit and veg and honestly sometimes I have to eat when I'm not even that hungry just to not eat too little calories. Seriously, veggies will be your saviour
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I have to agree with the vetern posters above. Your daily calorie goal seems way too low. Give us your stats and that can be figured out. More fat, protein, and fiber to keep you fuller. Exercise alittle, if you can--walking is good and will give you more calories to eat. You don't say how much you want to lose, but if alot, it will take awhile so you need to work this out. Patience is the hardest thing to learn. Good luck.
  • shiri171
    shiri171 Posts: 16 Member
    You should absolutely not be starving. Eating too little can make your body go into starvation mode and store fat. For the rest the posts above have said enough - less carbs, more proteins and healthy fats. And water, lots and lots of water. Good luck! :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    shiri171 wrote: »
    You should absolutely not be starving. Eating too little can make your body go into starvation mode and store fat. For the rest the posts above have said enough - less carbs, more proteins and healthy fats. And water, lots and lots of water. Good luck! :)

How would the body store fat when it isn't getting enough energy? Fat storage takes energy.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    After adding more calories, fat, and protein, know that sometimes you have hungry days. It happens sometimes.
  • chezinkflo
    chezinkflo Posts: 19 Member
    I am on 1200 calories a day but I also follow a low Glycemic Index diet. This means I eat almost no bread, potatoes and anything else that is a fast carb food. For breakfast, I have two thin rashers of grilled bacon, a poached egg and some button mushrooms, together with a cup of tea. I never feel hungry and I eat my main meal around 3pm, which is usually meat or fish with two vegetables, followed by a maize cracker and a few really good quality sheep's cheese shavings.
    Supper will usually be salad, sometimes a boiled egg and if I feel the need for sugar, I have a square of 85% cacao chocolate. It was odd at first, dropping the bread and potatoes, but I am always under my 1200 goal and I really never feel the need to eat more. I've lost 13lbs since November and I really enjoy what I eat. Good luck with it.
  • ToreToodles
    ToreToodles Posts: 59 Member
    Thank you everyone! Please keep the responses coming, I'm learning so much!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    shiri171 wrote: »

No
  • mikenelson3975
    mikenelson3975 Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2017
    If you've just recently started I would definitely allow yourself more calories. As you go on at a reduced calorie plan you'll adjust and it's not as much of a shock. If you just started it seems your calories are quite low. As others said protein. My go to is bacon "pork or turkey", eggs, mushrooms sauteed, salsa, cottage cheese, etc. They're filling and low in calories. I eat almost every day 1-2 pieces of bacon, with 1 egg, sauteed mushrooms, maybe some spinach or salad greena all on a 70 cal tortilla with ketchup, salsa, or Chipotle sauce on it... It's like all together -200 or 250 Cals.... I've been known to eat 2-3 of those a day spread out...
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Don't be afraid to up the calories a bit. Fill yourself with healthy fats and satiating foods and high fiber foods. Eat foods that provide long term energy. If you focus on eating healthy foods, than it shouldn't be bad to go over your calorie limit you've got set right now
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    I generally have around 1200 calories and am rarely hungry. I have a piece of multi-grain toast with either an egg or 1 oz of cheese for breakfast plus either a glass or OJ or a piece of fruit. The combination of carb and proteins holds me until lunch. The rest of the day I have a mixture of fruit, vegetables, a little fish or meat, with occasional grains like quinoa or little rice. On the days I do want a snack, I have hummus with apples or carrots, a yogurt kale smoothie, or a few squares of dark chocolate or a dark chocolate cookie. Also have a small glass of red wine a few times a week. I am a big believer in eating the way I want to continue the rest of my life, so make a lot of my own soups and the evening meals are low calorie dishes I gather or adapt from the internet. I find that cooking with raw products gives me better control than buying packaged food.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    More real food like somebody up thread says. For the 200-250 calories in a bar I could have eggs and tomatoes and a nice warm pita. Or a big old serving of fruit and some full fat yoghurt or cottage cheese. I could have two slices of ezekiel bread toast with PB2 and some jam or banana. Maybe a sandwich thin with an egg and a bit of ham and some pico de gallo, or a small protein pancake and some fruit or maple syrup. Hell I bet there's even a Subway sandwich that would come in about there. The idea of smoothies and granola/diet bars as half the day's food makes me feel sad and hungry.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    1380 calories for someone who is 265 lbs is not enough.
    I'm 270 and my calorie goal is set at 1970 and that's with losing weight consistently.
  • SusWells11
    SusWells11 Posts: 2 Member
    A great option for when you're starving and low on cals for the rest of the day, is a giant filling salad with tons of veggies—but definitely add a slice of avocado for filling fat, and a lean portion of protein (chicken, or beans if you're a vegetarian)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    1) At 265lbs, 1300 calories is very low. Eat more.

2) Your diet is all carbs. Eat more protein and fats.