Cut down sugar challenge!

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    I'm gonna have to cut down hard on the sugar in my breakfast tea to meet my sugar goals today :(
  • coffeeaddict882
    coffeeaddict882 Posts: 24 Member
    @wellthenwhat welcome! And hang in there, it will get easier! I will say that though I will admit I've had some cravings, I do feel that cutting down has decreased them. @Treehugger_88 I agree, I have noticed that when I'm really craving, I tend to eat a lot more of other foods when I'm trying to resist. I hope that will get better as we get more used to it. Hang in there everybody!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You're cutting out sweeteners (which have zero calories) but allowing chocolate, on a "cut down sugar challenge"? What's the point?

Set your calories to a suitable level, eat any foods to hit your goal and you'll make progress.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    @Riskay123 Wow I can't imagine cutting out fruit too! I think I would go crazy! I am vegetarian by choice, HATE everything about meat, so fruit makes up a large part of my diet, especially drupes.

I was a little difficult but I think it sped up getting over the cravings process considerably. It allows your pallet to reset so sweet things like bananas taste almost too sweet and hard to finish and things like cakes are not enjoyable because they are too sweet. I did have half a banana a few days after re introducing fruit and it was very sweet. I didn't want to eat the whole thing. I have not tried any cakes or cookies yet to I don't really know how I will find them.

The things I have noticed since cutting back are:
    • The hormones that control appetite have kicked in and are no longer suppressed by the fructose. So my brain is telling my body when I have eaten enough. Before I was a huge overeater.
    • I no longer track my calories or what I eat. I know most people on this site will think that is crazy but my brain is now its own calorie counter so I don't need to. I do make sure I eat a lot of veggies than I did before but that is the only conscious decision I make about my food.
    • I hardly ever feel hungry anymore and if I do get hungry it isn't that crazy hungry feeling that I used to get where I wanted to rip the head of anyone who got between me and my next meal. I can acknowledge that I am feeling hungry and still keep working and wait an hour or so if I need to and still be able to remain focuses on what I am doing.
    • My mind is very clear and I have a sense of calmness. I know that sounds a bit hippy dippy but I don't really know how to better explain it.
    • I have lost 4kg in 8 weeks with very little exercise as I have an injured foot and had surgery during this 8 weeks I was on this program. I know my body has changed size in cm but I have not measured myself yet. I am waiting until next Saturday morning to do this once I have finished the program.

I know it isn't for everyone but for me this is the best thing I have ever done. And I honestly feel that I can keep living this way. Now that I no longer crave sweet things I don't feel like I am missing out when everyone at work is chomping down on a cake or sweet biscuits that seem to be there every day.

• pioneermom2
    pioneermom2 Posts: 5 Member
    I'll join!
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Last day of sugar was dec. 31, holding out to my birthday in a week and a half then totally having froyo with a cookie on top
  • wellthenwhat
    I am currently wanting to eat everything in the house, sweet or not!
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    I'm in! I was added sugar free for months. I was eating fruits. I felt so good but went on holiday and started eating sugar as I didn't want to be too restrictive and wanted to drink! I've been back 5 days and can't stop eating sugar. It's time to go cold turkey again!!! Once you're in the routine of doing it, it's not too bad!
  • wellthenwhat
    Had a good day today. Got half a doughnut, brownie and some grapes, brownie was almost too much. Its starting to get easier to stay under my goal
  • coffeeaddict882
    @trigden1991 everyone is doing heir own plan. The no artificial sweeteners for me is my personal goal and not something everyone else is necessarily doing. It is something I've been doing for a couple years now. Artificial sweeteners trigger the brain to think the body is ingesting sugar and get ready for a full stomach. Then when they doesn't happen, it can cause hunger. (Source: I'm a physician- I'm not just making things up). For me personally, it also causes headaches and stomach pain. Additionally, since stopping diet soda, i lost a few pounds and had less sweet cravings naturally. There are also a lot of hormonal and enzymatic factors that act in hunger, weight loss, and metabolism and I'm a firm believer that we don't know everything about everything yet. I personally find 1-2 pieces of chocolate a day healthier than artificial sweeteners. For me it's not just about weight loss, it's about good physical and mental health as well.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    I ate a bit over my calorie goal today, due to cherries, peanut butter and sunflower seeds. Managed to stay away from sugar though! This is really tough. I really reduced my sugar intake about a year ago too and it was a lot easier transition last time. Gah!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    the past couple of weeks I have added back in a dove dark chocolate a day...at the most. I track it and it is included in my 1200 calories. I've been having less fruit though, instead of an apple, I'll have snap peas. It's going well...12/31 was our last day of too much sugar! Now we are having little to none and feel much better!
  • Riskay123
    I am also not eating any artificial sweeteners. I have purchased some rice malt syrup and dextrose for baking which is fructose free. I have not used them yet but I have bought them to try and get my children off fructose without them noticing too much. Making my first thing this afternoon. Let's hope they don't notice the change.

I have stayed on track today. My breakfast was awesome if I do say so myself. Homemade pancakes with a hand full of sliced strawberries and coconut yoghurt. It was delicious. What are other people eating for breakfast? Hoping to get some ideas from you all.
  • coffeeaddict882
    @Riskay123 that sounds good! Have you found a coconut yogurt without added sugar or artificial sweeteners? I would love to try it. I had been used to sweeter breakfasts before starting this so instead of drawing attention to missing sugar I decided to try more savory breakfasts. On my day off I had eggs and toast but for faster breakfasts on work days I would put some avocado or guacamole on toast. I do like yogurt and berries for breakfast so I may go back to that too an see if I miss the honey I used to add too much.
  • Riskay123
    @Riskay123 that sounds good! Have you found a coconut yoghurt without added sugar or artificial sweeteners? I would love to try it.

I'm not sure where you are but I am in Australia. We have a brand of coconut yoghurt by a company called Nudie. It has no dairy in it. Just coconut, water, cornflour and a tiny bit of juice from monk fruit (know idea what type of fruit that is). We can get a plain or vanilla flavour here. It is weird because you think it would be sweet but it isn't.

• GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    I need to get better, too!! Sweetned coffee creamer is my giant oops! Well not really oops since that makes it sound like an accident. No accident there! I'm going to give that one up and then move on from there. I haven't had any kind of artificial sweetener in years since it makes me puke. Good way to give something up! Sugar isn't as big an issue for me as cheese! Need an intervention on that one!!
  • wellthenwhat
    Having eggs, cheese, buttered toast, and a cup of milk for weekend breakfast instead of my normal 2 bowls of frosted flakes.
  • wellthenwhat
    I made it through today with 16 grams of sugar left over. It's also working the way it should. I'm eating a yogurt right now, and it's almost too sweet for me
  • coffeeaddict882
    @wellthenwhat that's great! I'm on day 9 and doing well overall. Tomorrow will be my last day posting on this "challenge" as I'm going on vacation for about a week. I will try to stay as good as possible, and since this was so helpful I'll come back and check in afterward. Keep it up guys!
  • wellthenwhat
    Today was another good day. I was able to have a brownie, and a yogurt, and my tea with half the sugar cut out of it was really enjoyable today. I need to work more on being mindful of what I eat to make it seem like more, though, lol