Sober March Challenge #marchingtosobriety

Replies

• Becky_45
    Becky_45 Posts: 59 Member
    edited March 2017
    First day of March -no alcohol, and I have my daughter in law's bday dinner to go to. At the restaurant where Its a huge trigger for me to drink AND everyone will be drinking. -My very favorite drink there that I can't find anywhere else. Ha! I'm up for it though, so ready to do this!

Good luck everyone! :smiley:
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Becky_45 wrote: »
    First day of March -no alcohol, and I have my daughter in law's bday dinner to go to. At the restaurant where Its a huge trigger for me to drink AND everyone will be drinking. -My very favorite drink there that I can't find anywhere else. Ha! I'm up for it though, so ready to do this!

Good luck everyone! :smiley:

My best friend has been alcohol free for a couple of years now. If we are in a restaurant with a bartender, she says, "Fix me the most amazing drink ever without any alcohol, please." She gets amazing drinks, too. Maybe a bartender could approximate your favorite drink without the alcohol? Have something marvelous in any case.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Hey everyone! Just found this thread and I'm in for from March 1st until Easter Sunday (which is the Lenten season). I have been struggling to lose this last stinking 10-15 pounds for a year now. My fitness level is stellar and my food choices are pretty great, too. However, I know my love of vino is keeping me at this plateau.

Happy to be dry with you all!
  • Brodystar
    Brodystar Posts: 8 Member
    I'm in! St. Patty's is my favorite too! Thank you for the Hall Pass!! :p
  • KelseyBergemann
    KelseyBergemann Posts: 9 Member
    Day 1!

I'm a nurse and it's usually at this point in my 12hr shift that I'm looking forward to a large glass of wine in the evening! But not this time! I've packed my gym bag and going straight to an 8pm gym class after work instead.

Hope everyone has a good first day. One day at a time!
  • donimfp
    I would trade a whole lot of wine or vodka or whatever for the glorious sleep I had last night.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    I'm in for March.
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    I gave alcohol up for Lent so I'm in too :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    edited March 2017
    Day 1 in the books!

Contrary to @donimfp, I had a harder time falling asleep last night without my usual couple of glasses of vino. I also drank a lot of water yesterday so had to get up in the night. TMI, I'm sure. :s

How's everyone else doing?
  • ajung620
    ajung620 Posts: 4 Member
    I am glad to find this challenge. Like many of you, I'm giving up alcohol for Lent. It will be nice to have some fellow abstainers for encouragement on the journey.
  • Becky_45
    3/1 - Forgot and had a sip of my husbands fire ball. But still refrained from ordering my favorite at dil's bday dinner while everyone else drank.
  • KelseyBergemann
    Day 2-complete!

:)
  • mjtahiti13
    mjtahiti13 Posts: 4 Member
    Am I too late to join? I have two events-one on the 18th and one on the 31st that I'd prefer to have a pass. I don't remember the last time I've gone a weekend without wine! I have been wanting to do this for a very, very long time! At 47, the weight does not want to come off so maybe this will do the trick, along with consistent tracking of course. Everytime I've lost weight, I've plateaued with about ten pounds to go. If I could have just gave up the alcohol completely, I believe I would have been more successful. Of course, I always gained it back and then some. This will be tough as my husband and I have date nights every Friday and Saturday. We have done this since our children were babies. It is wonderful for our marriage. I obviously cannot make him give up the wine with me so it will be difficult!! I'm planning on some seltzer with some fruit squeezed in to make it less boring. I have to admit, I'm nervous! At the same time, I am determined to be succesful at last!
  • donimfp
    Here's an insider trading tip: You might want to buy stock in Perrier because I'm keeping them in business now. Day Two down. Yay! All the Perrier results in night-time trips to the bathroom, but then I'm back to bed sleeping like a baby. Alcohol does knock me out, but I'm realizing the ensuing sleep is pretty rough. The scale likes this change, too.

I hope everyone is enjoying the up-sides of this. The downside is that I ENJOY MY WINE! But that's about the only thing on that side of the ledger--better sleep, weight loss, clear head, better blood work to come . . . I've made a list of the benefits of going alcohol free for a while. I've got 15 listed so far. Money saved, too. Perrier is cheaper than wine.
  • AlisalGal
    AlisalGal Posts: 88 Member
    I'm in - even though it's March 3, by some dumb luck I haven't had anything to drink for the last couple days. I have a girls' night out on 3/22 so appreciate that hall pass. I have had concerns in the past about how much I drink. This is a good reset, as someone stated earlier. A recent "reset" was a terrible bout with the flu, and I didn't drink at all for two weeks, but I find myself gradually slipping back into a couple drinks on weekend nights, then maybe one on Monday because it was a rough day at work which turns into 1-1/2... I think we all know how that goes.
  • Becky_45
    edited March 2017
    3/1 - Forgot and had a sip of my husbands fire ball. But still refrained from ordering my favorite, at DIL's birthday dinner while everyone else drank.
    3/2 - Felt no desire to have a drink, in spite of it being a crappy day.
  • TSkarnas
    TSkarnas Posts: 4 Member
    Last night was rough- my two older kids (11&13) were giving me a run for my money and it was sooooo tempting to have a drink to help take the edge off. But I didn't and I'm happy that I was able to use healthier ways to deal with my stress. In other news, I miss wine.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    edited March 2017
    Hubby and I are doing this together. Me until Easter and he's committed to a dry March, as well. We were both craving a drink last night but resisted together. I've been drinking herbal tea in the evening which has resulted in several nighttime trips, but did sleep better last night than the night before. The comment about Perrier reminded me that I have a bunch of La Croix sparkling water hanging around somewhere. That sounds like a great alternative!

As @donimfp said - I ENJOY MY WINE! And to make it even more challenging, our local discount grocery had an awesome special on Pine and Post Red Blend at only 2 for $5! that's cheaper than 3-buck Chuck! They only had a limited quantity, so I bought a case while I had the chance. Geez. I buy a case of wine during a period when I'm not drinking at all. How's that for resisting temptation? Actually, the box is still sealed so it's going into the cold pantry room to "age". :D

ETA: Weigh-in day is tomorrow so we'll see if a few days of sobriety will make that darn scale move in the right direction!

• KelseyBergemann
    Day 3!

Not going to lie I really really wanted a nice cold beer. But sparkling water it is!
  • donimfp
    RaeBeeBaby, LOL about aging that fine wine. I hope you get some pay-off from the scale today. Mine has moved after being stubborn for awhile, and that is definitely extra motivation. I'm finding I need distractions. I went to the store and spent $40 on magazines I don't usually indulge in (Vanity Fair, Real Simple, even one about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle --Suits fan). I propped myself up last night with my Perrier and lime and indulged as if I were on vacation. I also decided that every 10 days we deserve a (non-alcoholic) TREAT. I haven't decided what the first one will be for me. Today is day 4. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!