Kilimanjaro!

2»

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Awesome - congrats! I'm planning a trek in early 2019. What did you do to "train"?

The main thing I focused on was hiking every weekend, until I got to the point where I could do at 10-12 miles of hiking on both Saturday and Sunday without feeling sore afterwards. That was sufficient for me to not experience any muscle soreness except after summit day (which was a very long night & day). I'd recommend doing this in as close to accurate conditions as you can - carry a full day pack with ~20 lb of weight, use the poles and boots you intend to bring, etc.

I also did high intensity cardio. Since your heart and lungs need to work a lot harder to get oxygen to your muscles, being in good shape here is really beneficial. I mainly did HIIT on an exercise bike, but that was just what was available to me and easy - anything that helps boost cardiopulmonary fitness is great.

Beyond that, you'll want to go to a travel clinic, and get a prescription for diamox (acetazolamide), in addition to the vaccinations and general-purpose medications. It helps your kidneys in regulating blood pH in spite of hyperventilation, and it speeds up the natural process for shorter-term acclimatization to oxygen deprivation.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Congratulations!!!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Wow that's amazing!! Most inspiring thing I've seen today!

Have you seen the documentary about Meru? Pretty interesting.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    This is amazing, much respect to you.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Awesome - congrats! I'm planning a trek in early 2019. What did you do to "train"?

The main thing I focused on was hiking every weekend, until I got to the point where I could do at 10-12 miles of hiking on both Saturday and Sunday without feeling sore afterwards. That was sufficient for me to not experience any muscle soreness except after summit day (which was a very long night & day). I'd recommend doing this in as close to accurate conditions as you can - carry a full day pack with ~20 lb of weight, use the poles and boots you intend to bring, etc.

I also did high intensity cardio. Since your heart and lungs need to work a lot harder to get oxygen to your muscles, being in good shape here is really beneficial. I mainly did HIIT on an exercise bike, but that was just what was available to me and easy - anything that helps boost cardiopulmonary fitness is great.

Beyond that, you'll want to go to a travel clinic, and get a prescription for diamox (acetazolamide), in addition to the vaccinations and general-purpose medications. It helps your kidneys in regulating blood pH in spite of hyperventilation, and it speeds up the natural process for shorter-term acclimatization to oxygen deprivation.

Thanks so much!!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    This is totally a life goal for my husband and I! I was in Tanzania for my 50th birthday 2 years ago for 10 days and never even saw the mountain! BUT I did encounter many people who had gone up it. I'm going back for my husbands 65th in 4 years to climb it. Can't wait! So cool that you did it!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Oh and....on our 7 day safari, we did see all of the animals in Tarangira that we saw in the Serengeti, the Crater and the other cool places we went. I was thinking if I took my husband back in a few years, we would do exactly the trip you did, climb Kilamanjaro and then spend a day or two in Tarangira. It's awesome there!
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Congratulations, your story is very inspirational.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    That is awesome, and inspiring!! I love hearing about people who are living the lives they want to live. Just freaking awesome. Thanks for sharing your adventure, and happy trails (or snorkel--scuba?) on the next!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    What an amazing life changing journey you've been on! Thank you for sharing it
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    @rankinsect

Awesome job. Having seen your other post on "how to dig deep", I have to ask.... did the thrill and excitement overcome, or did you find yourself reaching a point where you had to really dig hard and tough it out? Either way, I'm glad you made it, and I'm sure those photos will be great reminders for a lifetime!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!