Ordering eggs in a restaurant!

lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
If you order eggs with a runny yolk (ss up, over easy, over medium, poached, etc), have you ever been served one with a broken yolk in a restaurant? The last 3 of 4 times in a local restaurant, I've been served a broken yolk! I've even gone to stating "not broken" with my order but does no good. Why would the kitchen let such a plate go out and why would the server serve it? I find it very tacky. Do you?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Yep, how hard is this to do! Seriously! If I was the waiter, i wouldn't bring it to your table. The server should send it back until the cook gets it right. No tip is forthcoming.
  • Sunshine373
    Sunshine373 Posts: 29 Member
    I hate that as well! My husband is a chef and he says he wouldn't send out a broken yolk - especially if it's requested by the customer. I like to dip my toast in a runny yolk and would be disappointed if it came out broken :neutral:
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    We love runny yolks here too, and I suspect for some cafes etc the sight of the yolk dribbling out over your food is a bit of an "aesthetic" touch yannow? The main trouble I have is finding a place that can deliver runny yolks at all... around here they are usually either overcooked, or cookedperfect then left sitting on the bench while they wait for the rest of our meal to be ready, which keeps cooking the egg in the remaining heat.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Omg seriously lol
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Hate runny yolks...looks like yellow snot.
    Only way I'll ever order eggs in a restaurant is scrambled hard or as part of an omelet
  • sodon10
    sodon10 Posts: 4 Member
    Sometimes the break the yolk to cook it quicker. But I'm with you on this, runny eggs are tbe best!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    My question is, how easy is this to do? When I crack eggs at home, it would be rare that the yolk doesn't get broken.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Nope, never been served a broken yoke. I usually make scrambled egg tacos at home, so like to order sunny side up or over easy at restaurants. I would be a little confused if I got a broken one.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Poached eggs shouldn't have a broken yolk, unless they break it after it comes out of the water.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    My question is, how easy is this to do? When I crack eggs at home, it would be rare that the yolk doesn't get broken.

Crack it more gently, then hold it closer to the pan when you pull the shell apart so it doesn't go "plop." I never don't not have an over easy egg with a broken yolk.
  • Xvapor
    Honestly just eat it either way
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

Really? I don't remember the last time I broke a yolk.
    And I eat a lot of eggs.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Really? I don't remember the last time I broke a yolk.
    And I eat a lot of eggs.

I remember breaking one a few weeks ago. I remember because it was such a rarity. And it happened when I was turning it, not when I first put it in the pan. I don't get that. I don't think I've ever had a yolk break when I first cracked it into the pan. Are people dropping their eggs from three feet over the pan?
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor wrote: »

Yeah, just eat the lousy eggs that you paid extra to have cooked PROPERLY for you, plus still have to tip the server because it's not their fault the cook sucks.

You paid for the eggs so I get that...what does it have to do with server sounds like your a little frugal
  • PaulaWallaDingDong

Yeah, just eat the lousy eggs that you paid extra to have cooked PROPERLY for you, plus still have to tip the server because it's not their fault the cook sucks.

You paid for the eggs so I get that...what does it have to do with server sounds like your a little frugal

It doesn't have anything to do with the server. That's why you still tip them.
  • Xvapor
    I guess I'm wondering why you even brought it up?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    I guess I'm wondering why you even brought it up?

Because you told the OP that they should just eat the badly cooked eggs? Which makes me wonder why you even came onto this thread.