• Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    We are going to go in circles so I will stop
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Xvapor wrote: »
    We are going to go in circles so I will stop

Edited to remove snark as I'm already on the radar.

Back to you, @lorrpb .
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    This caused enough heat to cook all the eggs hard! I do blame the server for bringing me a plate that's not what I ordered. If i complain, they always offer to get me another egg, but then I get to sit there and wait for my food while hubby eats. Thanks for all your thoughts!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    This caused enough heat to cook all the eggs hard! I do blame the server for bringing me a plate that's not what I ordered. If i complain, they always offer to get me another egg, but then I get to sit there and wait for my food while hubby eats. Thanks for all your thoughts!

That part sucks! How does your hubby order his breakfast?
  • lorrpb

Hard or scrambled. Except when he gets eggs Benedict and he's never had a broken yolk!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

Hard or scrambled. Except when he gets eggs Benedict and he's never had a broken yolk!

Lol. That figures!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    My question is, how easy is this to do? When I crack eggs at home, it would be rare that the yolk doesn't get broken.

Crack it more gently, then hold it closer to the pan when you pull the shell apart so it doesn't go "plop." I never don't not have an over easy egg with a broken yolk.

Thanks. Will adjust my technique next time.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I weigh in as the odd person out. I would never eat an egg with a runny yolk. So, a broken yolk, to me, would mean fully cooked. :)
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    I'd send it back. If they can't get it right, then find another Resto!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    My question is, how easy is this to do? When I crack eggs at home, it would be rare that the yolk doesn't get broken.

I make them several times a week for my teenage daughter and rarely do I have a yolk break open.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I guess I'm not sure what the crisis is- if you wanted it runny- you're going to break it anyway- sure the presentation looks like shite- but whatever- tastes the same to me.

Of all the things to worry about- this wouldn't be it.
  • lorrpb
    edited March 2017
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I guess I'm not sure what the crisis is- if you wanted it runny- you're going to break it anyway- sure the presentation looks like shite- but whatever- tastes the same to me.

Of all the things to worry about- this wouldn't be it.

Did I say I was in crisis over this? No. It's just an annoyance with a bizarre presentation pattern.
  • lorrpb
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I weigh in as the odd person out. I would never eat an egg with a runny yolk. So, a broken yolk, to me, would mean fully cooked. :)

A broken yolk is still runny!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member

Crack it more gently, then hold it closer to the pan when you pull the shell apart so it doesn't go "plop." I never don't not have an over easy egg with a broken yolk.

For poached I crack the egg into a ramekin and then, slide it, gently from the ramekin into the pan of water.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member

you are cracking you eggs wrong
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited March 2017
    Nope, never been served a broken yoke. I usually make scrambled egg tacos at home, so like to order sunny side up or over easy at restaurants. I would be a little confused if I got a broken one.

Interesting... my yolks never break (and I always have to poke them with the shell to break them since I hate runny eggs). Maybe you're being too rough with them... or maybe it's the eggs you use?

To the OP though, if you order an "over" egg (easy, medium, whatever) that can often break the top surface of the egg. I wouldn't be surprised if those orders come broken.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    If eggs come out overcooked, undercooked, or broken when they're not supposed to be then back they go. If the cooks aren't capable of cooking over-easy, poached, etc properly, then the restaurant shouldn't put them on the menu.

I would expect any competent server to spot an obvious broken yolk and have the egg re-done, just like any other dish that obviously isn't cooked correctly. And, I've never had an issue with broken yolks being served so it's been a non-issue.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    most places won't even give you runny yolks anymore
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    most places won't even give you runny yolks anymore

Where is this?

I get runny yolks all the time. I've yet to go to a restaurant that won't serve runny yolks if they serve eggs.