35lbs to lose by the summer help

Need to lose 35lbs by the summer any help and advice greatly appreciated

Replies

• DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Quite a target, but when do you see summer starting? Divide this into weeks, then divide weeks by 35 - is it doable? Most advice says 2lb a week should be the maximum safe loss, although I understand those who have become very overweight can lose quite a bit more to start. Why not set your MFP target at 2lbs a week and see how it goes? Log everything (weigh out food) and if you can, get a fitness monitor so you can measure calories burned more accurately. I lost 18lb in 10 weeks doing this. Please feel free to 'friend' me Amanda, and best of luck... ;)
  • amandabrookshaw
    amandabrookshaw Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks i got 20 weeks untill the family holiday
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    If you're maybe 300lbs it could be doable. Otherwise, I think you have to be more realistic that you won't lose that much but you can certainly make a dent in it.

What are your stats? (Height, weight).
  • amandabrookshaw
    Im 5 ft 4 and 200lbs
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    That sounds doable if you set your mind to it, set your goal to 2 pounds a week although closer to goal it will probably slow down. For a constant loss of 2 pounds a week you may need to incorporate a bit of exercise even if its just walking. Whats your current situation? Are you sedentary with an office job? Can you walk, cycle to work or utilise public transport instead of driving so you have to walk to bus stops/train stations? Do you have access to a gym? What does your current diet look like? Do you have digital kitchen scales for solid food and measuring spoons and jugs for your liquids?

Try to give as much information as you can and people will be able to give you tips on how to improve, try not to be vague, the more info the more help you'll get. :)
  • amandabrookshaw
    Im a mum of a 5 and 3 year old walk oldest to school with the younger and walk to work i work at a after school club 1 till 6.30 i cant go to the gym or anything as i have the children i dont wiegh my food but i log on here and i got the pacer app im also trying to do 100 star jumps and 30 spuats a day also some sit ups and i have hand wieghts but i dont really know what im doing
  • animatorswearbras
    It sounds like you've got the activity nailed, however if you don't weigh your food you're going to make it extremely difficult for yourself as losing weight is 95% knowing your exact calorific intake. My advice is get some digital scales, I picked up some duronic ones off amazon (UK) for £9 although I'm sure similar scales are as cheap worldwide. That will be the advice you will get off everyone. Get scales and find out exactly how much you're consuming once you've got that nailed all you have to do is stick to MFPs goals. Its still doable without scales but estimating leaves alot of room for error, just keep that in mind. Good luck. x
  • animatorswearbras
    Also for your exercising watch some youtube videos too if you can to get some ideas of what to do and your form. x
  • Pipparuns
    Pipparuns Posts: 25 Member
    LCHF or Keto diet. Definitely doable if you cut out the bread and sugar and processed foods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    It largely depends on what your activity level will be. Set your account to about 1.5 lbs per week, get a food scale and work to be active. It's more probably that you will see that in the beginning but weight loss will generally taper if you don't increase activity to offset the expenditure difference driven by your extra weight.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Consider seeing a health professional like a doctor and try to see a dietician. The dietician can create a food plan that will work for your lifestyle.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Goals I don't really have a time span as I'm trying to make this a lifestyle and I know having a goal that I may not reach will put me into miserable mode
    I'd aim for 1lbs a week that's 20lbs and you know how to think of it if I had t started I could be 20lbs heavier I'd not aim for 30lbs as what happens at goal ? Will you go for more or go back to eating as you were ? Long term what's your goal ?

My goal is to lose 30 lbs more
    Be doing cardio 3 times a week
    Weights 3 times a week
    Daily walking if 1 hour
    Maintain a uk size 12 ( us 10 )

I think goals should be long term ones I've made the mistake of needing X lbs off by XYZ month but once I get there I didn't have plan to stay there
  • size102b
    i dont wiegh my food but i log on here
    i dont really know what im doing

You must buy a digital food scale weigh every single thing and measure all liquids with calories in a measuring jug you can't know the weights etc by eyeball :)
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    size102b wrote: »

You must buy a digital food scale weigh every single thing and measure all liquids with calories in a measuring jug you can't know the weights etc by eyeball :)
    I personally don't think weighing food is a requirement. I've personally lost 27 pounds, and I didn't buy a food scale so it's doable without. However, different things work for different people.
  • size102b

I personally don't think weighing food is a requirement. I've personally lost 27 pounds, and I didn't buy a food scale so it's doable without. However, different things work for different people.

Really how can you possibly know how much your food weighs?
    Calories are easily over eaten you shouldn't advise people not to weigh they're foods that's a number one reason people stop losing weight and gain weight
    There's no way you could eyeball weights of food

Post a thread that you don't think people should weigh they're food if like to see the replies.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

Really how can you possibly know how much your food weighs?
    Calories are easily over eaten you shouldn't advise people not to weigh they're foods that's a number one reason people stop losing weight and gain weight
    There's no way you could eyeball weights of food

Post a thread that you don't think people should weigh they're food if like to see the replies.

Many people on here can lose without weighing foods. It isn't a requirement, just a helpful tool for many (including me).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Is it required to log or weigh food, absolutely not. But considering the average trained professional under reports calories consumed by as much as 400 calories, it can considerable eat away at your deficit, especially, if you are not compensating with additional exercise.

It should also be noted that the leaner you get, the less room for error you have.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2017
    Even if you don't lose all of it, in 20 weeks you can make a sizeable dent in that, and will be feeling and looking better. I lost 3 stone (42lb) in 9 months with weighing and logging consistently and eating back my exercise calories I then put a little back as I looked too scrawny and old :D I've maintained with the odd fluctuation (never more than 5lb holiday weight) for over 3 years now, but I know I have to weigh and log or it all goes wrong.

I don't go to the gym, I do a Zumba and a clubbercise class at a local school. other than that my exercise is walking and doing exercise DVDs (Rosemary Conley and Davina).