Looking less than what you weigh?

Does anyone else feel like they look less than what they weigh? I know people say weight is just a number and doesn't have to mean "all that" but I weighed myself recently and I am 274 lbs at 5'5 and I don't feel like I weigh THAT much. I thought I was 250 lbs and someone said that I looked like I weighed less and turns out I actually weigh MORE. I tell people my goal is to lose 125 pounds and they look at me like I'm crazy..anybody else experience this?

Replies

• nataliecg926
    nataliecg926 Posts: 82 Member
    I took this photo this month and I'm 274 pounds at 5'5 if anyone is wonderingz3bjwd5y917c.jpg
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Yes, but I attribute it largely to my height and my proportions. I'm 5'9" and people are floored when I say that I'm over 200 pounds. I carry my weight pretty evenly, so i'm not obviously larger in one spot than another.

I do agree with posters above that our perception of what is overweight is pretty distorted by the people around us, and the fact that so many people are overweight.
  • nataliecg926
    I probably do look my weight, just have a skewed idea of what weight actually looks like because everyone always underestimates I think
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    People have no idea what different weights look like. I'd never try to guess someone's weight unless they were pretty close to my height and build (and even then I wouldn't say anything). So I guess I'd never ask someone if they thought I looked a particular weight or expect them to be able to answer in a meaningful way.

Curious, OP, what difference it makes. Are you worried about goal weight? If so I'd say it's premature.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Everyone carries their weight differently. I know people who are close to my height and weigh 100+ lbs less than me and I wear a smaller size then them.
  • nataliecg926
    I guess I'm just daunted by how far my journey is when previously I didn't think I had this far to go, although I mostly just want to get under 200 and go from there
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    My family always says that I don't look fat, when in fact I am obese. I just always think they're trying to be nice.

Same here. I'm 4'11 and 148. I'm obese because of my height and small frame. I should be somewhere around 94-115 lbs is what they say on here. Everyone tells me I don't look that overweight.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    A lot of people are shocked if I tell them my actual weight. Most of it is a combination of how I carry my weight (I always seem to stay proportional at any weight and gain/lose all over, not in one spot) and being able to wear clothes that make me look slimmer because of those proportions.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    I guess I'm just daunted by how far my journey is when previously I didn't think I had this far to go, although I mostly just want to get under 200 and go from there

Dont make goals based solely on the number on the scale. Stick with your goal of 200 and re-evaluate when you get there. I am more focused on getting to a certain size then I am a certain weight. The scale is not good at gauging how big you are. Remember Dwayne Johnson is obese based on the scale.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I'm 5'10" and was 123kg at my heaviest. That's fat. But I was also active, horse-riding and whatnot, and I have a big solid frame and I didn't look that fat, even looking back at pictures. Funny thing though, I'm 86kg now and I don't see any difference in the mirror.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I thought I had 40-50lbs to lose. I lost that and adjusted it down another 20-30. I might yet adjust it down again. I do think I'm a little smaller than others my weight but I was an athlete (gymnast for 9 years, then dance college for over 2 years) so probably have more lean mass than someone without my background. But truly I won't know until I get to the aesthetic I'm after what weight I "should" be!
  • nataliecg926
    Bekah7482 wrote: »

Dont make goals based solely on the number on the scale. Stick with your goal of 200 and re-evaluate when you get there. I am more focused on getting to a certain size then I am a certain weight. The scale is not good at gauging how big you are. Remember Dwayne Johnson is obese based on the scale.

I don't think OP has quite as much muscle as dwayne Johnson...

lol I never said I was muscular