Ordering eggs in a restaurant!

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I guess I'm not sure what the crisis is- if you wanted it runny- you're going to break it anyway- sure the presentation looks like shite- but whatever- tastes the same to me.

Of all the things to worry about- this wouldn't be it.

But if it's running all over the place you don't get the satisfaction of dipping your toast into a neat little pool of yolk. No, it doesn't just run when you break it. Not if you do it right. The point is, that's not a call for the cook to make.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I personally wouldn't care as long as it's still runny as the first thing I do typically is break the yolk... but yeah, if it bothers you, definitely send it back. It's weird, it's never happened to me in a restaurant!

When my yolk breaks at home, it's typically in the pan, and the yolk ends up being cooked, which is extremely irritating.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't care as long as it's still runny as the first thing I do typically is break the yolk... but yeah, if it bothers you, definitely send it back. It's weird, it's never happened to me in a restaurant!

When my yolk breaks at home, it's typically in the pan, and the yolk ends up being cooked, which is extremely irritating.

Breaking the yolk is part of the fun!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    What's even worse is ordering your eggs OE or OM and the whites are runny. F that - my wife has gotten that before and sent them back.
  • lorrpb
    OE I've gotten runny whites, yuk, but never OM. That's the exact reason I order OM.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Xvapor wrote: »
    Honestly just eat it either way

When you make them at home yourself, sure. Not when you're paying to have it cooked the way you want.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    I would be bummed. But not super bummed. First world problems. I mean I guess it's similar to
    someone sending back a steak not cooked to order. You are paying for it. But I don't think it's that serious being an egg. I guess I am obviously conflicted here. Lol
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Lol ^
  • lorrpb
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    I would be bummed. But not super bummed. First world problems. I mean I guess it's similar to
    someone sending back a steak not cooked to order. You are paying for it. But I don't think it's that serious being an egg. I guess I am obviously conflicted here. Lol

I just asked if it happens to anyone else. So far, no one! I don't pretend it's a serious earth shattering issue. Just annoying and quite unusual.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    If you order eggs with a runny yolk (ss up, over easy, over medium, poached, etc), have you ever been served one with a broken yolk in a restaurant? The last 3 of 4 times in a local restaurant, I've been served a broken yolk! I've even gone to stating "not broken" with my order but does no good. Why would the kitchen let such a plate go out and why would the server serve it? I find it very tacky. Do you?

Have you tried speaking with the manager?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2017
    I have never ever gotten a broken yolk and i always order over medium. If i didn't have a runny yolk you better believe i'm sending it back to the kitchen or discussing the cooks skills with the manager.

edit: i was under the impression the yolk broke and it was cooked all the way through. i have no issues with runny egg all over my plate but don't prefer it of course.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    I've never had a broken yolk served to me.... are you going back to the same place? I think I'd go elsewhere. If they aren't taking the care to do that properly, it'd make me wonder what else they weren't paying enough attention to.
  • lorrpb
    marm1962 wrote: »
    If you order eggs with a runny yolk (ss up, over easy, over medium, poached, etc), have you ever been served one with a broken yolk in a restaurant? The last 3 of 4 times in a local restaurant, I've been served a broken yolk! I've even gone to stating "not broken" with my order but does no good. Why would the kitchen let such a plate go out and why would the server serve it? I find it very tacky. Do you?

Yes, he gave me a big explanation about why it happened, it happened to be poached that day. No apology, no discount!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

Yes, he gave me a big explanation about why it happened, it happened to be poached that day. No apology, no discount!

Do you ever use Yelp? Sometimes giving restaurants bad reviews perks them up. Just a thought.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I dunno. I like it over medium. But I don't order eggs at nice restaurants, only diners. I don't think I'd care at a diner.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

Do you ever use Yelp? Sometimes giving restaurants bad reviews perks them up. Just a thought.

don't use yelp. they bury positive reviews for restaurants who no longer want to pay them for their services and delete negative reviews for restaurants who do

Good to know. It used to work. Is there a better option out there now?