Shall I cut out Porridge ?

Replies

• Porridge is one of my favourite breakfast cereals! I mix it with water to cook then add a splash of milk to cool it, a teaspoon of honey instead of sugar and slice a banana on top.
    Now I have a craving for it!!
  • Porridge is one of my favourite breakfast cereals! I mix it with water to cook then add a splash of milk to cool it, a teaspoon of honey instead of sugar and slice a banana on top.

Just wanted to add that I don't find it bloats me as much when I use water. Adding a splash of semi-skimmed milk gives it a creamier texture. I log this method into my diary and it does come up to 445 cals and the carbs comes in at 72g but it's a slow release energy.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Halve the amount and make it with water, and have protein with it - eggs are good. I have oatbran or porridge with water every day, but have eggs, cheese or fish too
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Echoing those saying a whole cup of oats is a huge portion, I couldn't eat that much without being absolutely stuffed to the gills!

I usually have 20-30g (I don't use cups, first I'm British so they are a bit alien and they aren't designed for solids).

But agree, try without dairy milk, it could be that. I use honey or maple syrup as my sweetener so could be a nice flavour like the brown sugar suggestion if made with water/ a less creamy milk alternative. The switch of the liquid would offset the adding of something sweet. I also add about 15g of dried fruit of some kind.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    marelthu wrote: »
    What about oatmeal with some fruit?

That made me laugh. :D

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Porridge is one of my favourite breakfast cereals! I mix it with water to cook then add a splash of milk to cool it, a teaspoon of honey instead of sugar and slice a banana on top.

Just wanted to add that I don't find it bloats me as much when I use water. Adding a splash of semi-skimmed milk gives it a creamier texture. I log this method into my diary and it does come up to 445 cals and the carbs comes in at 72g but it's a slow release energy.

Beating then adding the eggs directly in, before the oats are done cooking creams up the texture as well. It even works when making rolled oats in the microwave.

My favorite so far is two eggs, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp cumin.
  • VintageFeline
    Porridge is one of my favourite breakfast cereals! I mix it with water to cook then add a splash of milk to cool it, a teaspoon of honey instead of sugar and slice a banana on top.

Beating then adding the eggs directly in, before the oats are done cooking creams up the texture as well. It even works when making rolled oats in the microwave.

My favorite so far is two eggs, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp cumin.

Oh yes! I love adding cinnamon.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Porridge/oatmeal is perfectly healthy food. Instead of substituting the oats, try it without milk. I get very gassy when I make it with milk and no gas at all with just water or a plant milk like almond milk.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I hope she wasn't just a tease.

I hate those *kitten* teases that get a group engaged on a topic, and then they vanish. >:)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    So I usually have about 1 cup of porridge with milk. I want to try and find a healthy substitute that doesn't make me feel so bloated but keeps me full. ( I eat at 6:30am and don't have lunch till 12pm) so I need my breakfast to be realistic ! Oh and I live in Honduras so food variety is limited .... any ideas for a good easy breaky ?

Well, what do you like and what keeps you full?

I like oatmeal (about .25 cup dry, not sure what that is cooked, I never measure and I'd bad at eyeballing), although I eat other foods with it too (berries, vegetables, sometimes an egg). But for me, unlike you, it doesn't make me feel bloated and I do find it filling (I eat around 6 and again around 12:30, so similar schedule).

I enjoy eggs and vegetables as my usual breakfast (sometimes an omelet, sometimes not, often with cottage cheese too). But that's what I like. What you like might be different -- just experiment and remember there's no need to eat special breakfast foods, if you like dinner leftovers, eat that.

I do agree that if you have a lactose issue it could be the milk that is making you feel bloated. Have you experimented with cutting out dairy or do you know already that you are fine with dairy?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I have visited Honduras on multiple occasions...for breakfast I usually had Baleada. That's some noms right there...
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    phill_143 wrote: »
    Drop the milk first before abandoning your porridge. Adding some brown sugar instead. The sugar and calories will probably be less than the milk. Also try having a a one egg omelet with it.
    Oatmeal is a wonderful complex carb which doesn't spike your blood sugar and takes a good while to break down through the day.
    It will be hard to replace especially if your calorie allowance is low.

I'd entirely agree with trying switching out the milk and adding eggs to breakfast, but I'm curious about the brown sugar recommendation - what's the rationale for that?
    Everyone has a different experiance of satiety, but I'd find that deliberately/unnecessarily adding sugar would generally increase calories, whilst the meal less filling

If you can get a hold of some authentic muscovado, it is 'to die for' when mixed with oatmeal or yogurt. It's unrefined raw cane sugar with the molasses not removed. It's way better than regular brown sugar and takes very little to do it's flavor enhancing
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    There are just no right and wrong answers when it comes to breakfast, it's the most individual meal in terms of fulness, I think. I like cold wholegrain cereals (eg muesli, Shreddies, Shredded Wheat) with whole milk. I'm very fond of porridge but it doesn't keep me going, so it's a lazy weekend breakfast for me, for when there's only an hour or two till lunch.

Some people can't cope without protein at breakfast, others can't cope without carbs, plenty of people eat porridge but it's not compulsory. Some like toast, others find it leaves them hungry - I mean, if you look worldwide, there are just so many different breakfast options.

Eggs are an excellent option if you want to go more for protein at breakfast rather than carbs, no matter where you are I'm sure you have access to them. Or try making smoothies? There are just too many possibilities!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I find oatmeal to be not filling at all and quite calorie dense. I love the stuff but don't touch it. I need about 5 servings to be happy. I'd personally choose something with more protein and less carbs.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who is unfilled by a single serving of oatmeal.
    My friend showed me a recipe for overnight oatmeal in the crockpot and I had to have at least 2 servings to make me minimally satisfied, which completely negated being a low calorie breakfast option.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So I usually have about 1 cup of porridge with milk. I want to try and find a healthy substitute that doesn't make me feel so bloated but keeps me full. ( I eat at 6:30am and don't have lunch till 12pm) so I need my breakfast to be realistic ! Oh and I live in Honduras so food variety is limited .... any ideas for a good easy breaky ?

I like oatmeal (about .25 cup dry, not sure what that is cooked, I never measure and I'd bad at eyeballing), although I eat other foods with it too (berries, vegetables, sometimes an egg). But for me, unlike you, it doesn't make me feel bloated and I do find it filling (I eat around 6 and again around 12:30, so similar schedule).

I enjoy eggs and vegetables as my usual breakfast (sometimes an omelet, sometimes not, often with cottage cheese too). But that's what I like. What you like might be different -- just experiment and remember there's no need to eat special breakfast foods, if you like dinner leftovers, eat that.

I do agree that if you have a lactose issue it could be the milk that is making you feel bloated. Have you experimented with cutting out dairy or do you know already that you are fine with dairy?

Here's another question to help her pinpoint what exactly is bloating her (because it could be the oats if she has issues with gluten):

OP, what other foods bloat you? It can't just be your breakfast. Certainly you have grains/dairy at other times.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Afura wrote: »
    I find oatmeal to be not filling at all and quite calorie dense. I love the stuff but don't touch it. I need about 5 servings to be happy. I'd personally choose something with more protein and less carbs.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who is unfilled by a single serving of oatmeal.
    My friend showed me a recipe for overnight oatmeal in the crockpot and I had to have at least 2 servings to make me minimally satisfied, which completely negated being a low calorie breakfast option.

I need oatmeal with protein. I usually stir in some yogurt.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    I understand completely what you are saying..... do you have a sensitivity to all grains? For whatever reason, oatmeal (porridge) makes me super gassy and bloated by mid-morning. And I love oatmeal, especially with blueberries or peanut butter, etc in it. I've tried it "overnight" oats - I've tried it with almond milk, coconut milk - just yogurt - or just plain and I still get very bloated. Now, I make an egg/veggie casserole and cut it and use that all week. Or just a good Greek yogurt with fruit. Need to make sure the protein/fat is there to get you through to lunch!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Here's another question to help her pinpoint what exactly is bloating her (because it could be the oats if she has issues with gluten):

OP, what other foods bloat you? It can't just be your breakfast. Certainly you have grains/dairy at other times.

Yeah, great question.
  • VintageFeline
    A complete alternative I like to fit in sometimes is a slice of toast with peanut butter and sliced banana. I've been thinking about it lately because I haven't had it in ages!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Afura wrote: »

A serving of oatmeal never, never, never fills me up. I have it sometimes because I like the taste but I always wind up hungry within an hour or two.