I suck at running

Probably mostly in my own damn head, but I do suck at it. Slow, struggle to add on any time or distance. I'm good at the first few weeks of C25K, then I just go in the tank. Can't breathe, legs don't cooperate, blah blah blah.

Anyone else ever experienced something similar? How did you get through it? Any tips from you pros out there? Thanks

Replies

• ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Maybe you don't suck at it, maybe your just bored with it or really don't like it? I love running and have run several races from 5ks to full marathons.

The suggestion about the shoes is good. But it could be the time of day your running, or it could even be your diet. What you eat and when can effect the quality of your run. I prefer to run fasted. But that's not for everyone. Are you also lifting on your run days? If so try splitting the workouts so they both get 100%. Also set mini goals for yourself and only concentrate on one thing be it distance or how long you want to run. I would suggest distance goals first. How many times a week are you running? What do your rest days look like?
    Hope this helps! Running is so much mental. Your body can do anything, your mind can stop you (Not being able to breathe, legs feeling dead and like they can't go on, etc). I'm sure you already know that, just throwing it out there!!

I'm currently struggling with unassisted pull-ups and freaking box jumps!! Ughhh
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Probably mostly in my own damn head, but I do suck at it. Slow, struggle to add on any time or distance. I'm good at the first few weeks of C25K, then I just go in the tank. Can't breathe, legs don't cooperate, blah blah blah.

Anyone else ever experienced something similar? How did you get through it? Any tips from you pros out there? Thanks

Slow down until you can breathe, then slow down a bit more. Keep slowing down until you can complete the relevant week in your c25k training. Repeat the weeks as needed.

Improving time and distance doesn't come overnight. It takes time. Just get out there and do what you can, walk if you need to and next time trying to increase that running period by 10/20/30 seconds.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Are you trying to run above and beyond your current ability? Slow down and enjoy yourself. Build some endurance.
    Is your running environment demoralizing you? Seek out a more peaceful, pleasant place to run.

I've always been a slow runner. That doesn't stop me from enjoying my time on the trail. And that's the key for me - I only really enjoy running if I'm outdoors on a beautiful, dirt trail. It's so relaxing and meditative. Running on a sidewalk next to a busy street or on a treadmill indoors is pure torture to me. I have one exception to that: races like marathons and half-marathons usually take place on the streets amongst a big, noisy crowd, but for some reason, the energy of the event enlivens me. So that's the one time I'll run on the road. ;)

• dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    just wanted to repeat what others are saying....slow down!

I started running at 5.5mph and soon developed an injury which prevented me from running for a few months. I now run at around 4.7mph and managed several 5K's at this pace
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Running never actually really gets any easier, in that you always go out and try harder. You just get better and faster over time. Running regularly and consistently is the best thing.
  • credle071207
    credle071207 Posts: 37 Member
    I went through the C25K program and had to repeat week 4 and week 5. I have now done 4 5K's and am training for my first half marathon on April 1st. The key to me has been keeping it slow to get more distance. I bought good shoes which has helped dramatically. I probably won't do another one because I have more fun with the shorter distance.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Indeed. Like this week, my legs are so sore/tight from lifting, I run for a few minutes (10 or less) and give up because of the soreness. I feel like any obstacle just makes me give up. I seem to be constantly waiting on something (better weather so I can run outside rather than on a TM, until I'm not as sore, non-lifting days, any manner of excuses).

I've only gotten through c25k by telling myself to suck it up and just do it. Its def all in my head.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Maybe running sucks at you lol, and you should be ripping phone books like your brother in baldness, Dennis Rogers. Though I'm sure if you stick to it you'd get better. Sometimes you need to take a little break, and come back to it. If you aren't feeling the program, try different things. Like stated previously, intervals could help.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

I'm not a distance runner...never have been...never was good at it even when I was in the military and we ran daily for PT. I was a natural sprinter growing up, but I've never been a natural distance runner. My wife on the other hand is very natural...she can torch a 5K with little to no training.

When I ran, I did see some improvement over time, but it wasn't anything spectacular and I was just pretty miserable.

I decided to take up cycling instead which I enjoy much more.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I was not a runner because my knees hurt and "I can't run". I started playing Ingress.com and without knowing it was running intervals and extending my distance. Before I knew it I was running miles without knee pain. I now try to run 25 miles a week and enjoy half marathons. When I work on speed I don't increase distance and when I work on distance I don't increase speed. Going back and forth seems to work for me. Now I don't really work on either so I run for fun. Good shoes are a must and I replace them every 400 to 450 miles or earlier if my knees protest.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    I imagine we each have our own issues. For me its keeping my mind occupied. Personally I am not a fast runner, and if I try to run too fast I run out of steam. Today I tried changing the voice prompts on my app to announce stats ever 1/10th of a mile. That helped me to focus on keeping my pace steady with the constant announcement of my current pace.

Personally I love the atmosphere of 5k/10k/half marathon events. Its electric. If I could find someone to 'sponsor' me I'd quit my job and travel around, doing an event every other day. Ideal Life!

• Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    I imagine we each have our own issues. For me its keeping my mind occupied.

I feel the same. I run 3-4 times/week and tell my wife that the thing most on my mind while I am running is, "When do I get to stop running?" :smile: This is particularly problematic when running on the treadmill. My latest solution has been books on tape which I can download for free via my local library. This has really helped me, especially on runs over an hour.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Thank you all.

Shoes - a few years ago I did go to a running store to get setup. I think I'm ok there, and am on my second pair of the same ones.

Speed - I'm damn slow. When I'm on a treadmill it's obviously a little easier to know what I'm doing. I did most of it today at 5.0, with about 1/4 of the time at 5.2.

I changed up the intervals and made my own. They are in 5 minute blocks. Today I did 3:30/1:30 6 times. I kind of liked the 5 minute block thing. That went better than my past several attempts. Maybe next time I'll do 3:45/1:15, and so on until I'm ready for a 10 minute block.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    When I did C25K I had to repeat several weeks and I had to learn to slow way down. You think that because you're learning to run that you should go as fast as you can, but I found that by slowing way down I could go longer. Then, once I had finished C25K, I continued to add distance. Only once I had reached 10k did I start to work on speed.