Intermittent Fasting

Replies

• DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    aknelson04 wrote: »
    I am in. Yesterday was the hardest but today it wasn't too bad.

For me, it gets easier by the meal, and I hope it does for you, too! ;)
  • kaleiangel
    kaleiangel Posts: 23 Member
    I think I'm going to join you guys. I am going to try 16:8 and eat between 10:30-6:30. The hard part is that my two favorite meals are split: breakfast and dinner. I may start having breakfast foods for lunch to make it workable. And then a regular dinner.

Todays weight was 198.

I'll start tomorrow, so my weigh in dates will be:

Starting weight: 198

3/15-
    3/22-
    3/29-
  • kayysmalls
    kayysmalls Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2017
    I would advise you all that intermittent fasting in no manner means that you should starve yourself. When I first started doing intermittent fasting I limited my calorie intake to 1200, 2 meals a day and ate in the window of 7:30 - 4:30. I did this for 4 months. I would go to bed starving and I lost no weight, in fact I gained! All while working out twice a day, 30 mins cardio on lunch and an hour of strength after work. I was beyond frustrated!

Now, I eat 5 meals a day, still in the same 7:30-4:30 window (breakfast is my favorite meal of the day). I adjusted my calorie intake 2 weeks ago to 1800-2000. It sounds like and feels like a lot of food in a small window, but I trust in the process and am never hungry or craving anything. I was 4 months into the habit of intermittent fasting so I didn't want to stop. So I didn't. Since making this calorie adjustment I have dropped 4lbs. Without changing anything else at all.

So, moral of the story is - Intermittent Fasting is awesome! But it only benefits you if you eat enough food during your window!

I started December 26th @ 206#
    Today I am 193#

• DeeDiddyGee
    If anyone is adding friends, please add me! I want to surround myself with people who are doing intermittent fasting. THANK YOU!
  • PeeshaPi
    PeeshaPi Posts: 30 Member
    I've been doing 16/8 IF now for an entire week without really knowing that's what I was doing! Now that I know the term and the benefits, I'm in! I'm tracking calorie intake and I'm about at 1300 or so cal/day on a goal of zone ratio 30p/30c/40f. I dropped a little over 5lbs in the first week, but I'm going to guess most of it is inflammatory loss. I'll update everyone weekly!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    kayysmalls wrote: »
    I would advise you all that intermittent fasting in no manner means that you should starve yourself. When I first started doing intermittent fasting I limited my calorie intake to 1200, 2 meals a day and ate in the window of 7:30 - 4:30. I did this for 4 months. I would go to bed starving and I lost no weight, in fact I gained! All while working out twice a day, 30 mins cardio on lunch and an hour of strength after work. I was beyond frustrated!

Now, I eat 5 meals a day, still in the same 7:30-4:30 window (breakfast is my favorite meal of the day). I adjusted my calorie intake 2 weeks ago to 1800-2000. It sounds like and feels like a lot of food in a small window, but I trust in the process and am never hungry or craving anything. I was 4 months into the habit of intermittent fasting so I didn't want to stop. So I didn't. Since making this calorie adjustment I have dropped 4lbs. Without changing anything else at all.

So, moral of the story is - Intermittent Fasting is awesome! But it only benefits you if you eat enough food during your window!

I started December 26th @ 206#
    Today I am 193#

Excellent points....it relates to the adage, "Eat More to Weigh Less" (good name for a book...lol ;)
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    I practiced intermitten fasting a couple of years ago and just started back within the last 3 weeks. I fast about 2-3 times a week - eat dinner by 6pm and then break the fast about 10-11am (about 16 hours). It has worked for me, to break past weight loss plateaus but not something I can do too long. I will probably only be doing this for the next week or 2 (since I broke through my plateau).

-Also through trial and error I found this hard to do on training days because I do seem to feel more tired on fasting days.

Goodluck
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    I want to start saturday, but I still thinking what time window i should eat, because I really love my breakfast.
  • kaleiangel
    kaleiangel Posts: 23 Member
    sfa90 - I do 10:30 - 6:30 and I just had bacon and egg casserole for lunch because there is no way I can give up breakfast foods. So, basically I am skipping lunch food and eating breakfast at lunch time. That was the only way I could see committing to this.

Question- I have been doing WW points the past few weeks. Should I switch to calorie counting while I am doing IF? Or will it still work if I eat my points during my 8 hour window? I don't want to under eat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    kaleiangel wrote: »
    sfa90 - I do 10:30 - 6:30 and I just had bacon and egg casserole for lunch because there is no way I can give up breakfast foods. So, basically I am skipping lunch food and eating breakfast at lunch time. That was the only way I could see committing to this.

Question- I have been doing WW points the past few weeks. Should I switch to calorie counting while I am doing IF? Or will it still work if I eat my points during my 8 hour window? I don't want to under eat.

Pick one. Personally, I've heard too many stories about WW not giving enough calories to people. That said, I wouldn't pay for WW, and calories are indisputable, unlike points.

I do IF 16:8, and it works for the way and times I like to eat naturally. It's not a diet plan, it's just a way to put some parameters around when I eat and how much. I also don't snack. I eat one largish meal 3-4 hours after I get up. I have a 200-300 calorie snack midday, and have a largish late afternoon meal and then go to bed four hours later. My food all falls within an eight hour window. The kitchen is closed at other times.
  • kayysmalls
    kayysmalls Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2017
    You have to manipulate this diet to work with you. Don't be a slave to it and hate every minute. When I first started, I tried to keep a late dinner and would delay my breakfast. I felt like I died every morning. I personally could never give up breakfast. It's the first thing that I want in the morning. So I eat a breakfast every day that is about 550 calories. You need to make sure that you aren't denying your body what it needs. Otherwise you will fall off the horse and grab a jimmy johns sandwich. Trust me! I've done it! Breakfast really is the most important of the day.

As I've said earlier, DON'T STARVE YOURSELF! \If you hit the point where you feel hungry as hell, whatever you put into your stomach will be stored as fat, not as energy to burn.
    I have lost more weight while stuffing my face with clean food, than ever done while trying to starve the fat off of myself.
    The whole point is to train your body to burn not store.

I did have to give up eating dinner with my boyfriend in order to eat breakfast. I usually work out during dinner time, and finish with a protein drink after that workout and call it good. I never thought I could do without eating together. But it came after a weight gaining realization that I could not eat what he was eating if I wanted to lose weight. On the weekends we eat together but prepare different food. If you really want it to work, you have to sacrifice. You have to change your lifestyle.
    So I literally only eat in the same window in which i am at work.

I would say that I got stuck and frustrated with the calorie counting. It's tedious and if you are just going for a calorie intake then you can really go anywhere with the food you eat but you have to limit your meals, etc, etc. I would pay way more attention to the Macros you are eating. In which, myfitnesspal will break that down for you and tell you what percent you should be eating. Macros is Carbs, Protein and Fats. Believe it or not, cutting carbs DOES NOT help you. You actually need fats and carbs to lose weight. it's what you muscles use for energy and protein helps your muscles heal after you work out.

Honestly, I LOVE using the 21 day fix meal plan. I don't count calories. They also pre-organize your Macro intake. I stuff those little bins to the brim and make an awesome meal plan that keeps me sustained. I'm never hungry and I'm shedding pounds. I don't do the exercise DVD's, I do my own thing. but even with a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio a day, I'm losing weight.
    At first when the math told me I needed 1800-2000 a day, I ignored it and went for 1200 - DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE. EAT! or else whatever you lose while starving yourself will show up right back on that scale the moment you cheat. Because your body stored it.

If you want to try the portion cups to make things a little easier on yourself, here's a link to them on Amazon so you don't have to do the whole beachbody thing. They are literally $13 and have changed my life.
    https://www.amazon.com/Portion-Life-Containers-Optimized-Comparable/dp/B01CZAUN8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489094460&sr=8-1&keywords=portion+life+containers

Everyone is different! Just keep focused and EAT.
    I attached a portion cup chart so you can see the allowances.
    You would be amazed how much you are allowed to eat. Keep it clean, keep it real. Torturing yourself is not sustainable.

• VainMommy
    VainMommy Posts: 46 Member
    So my issue is that I can wait to eat until 12-1pm no problem. But I can't/don't want to eat all my calories within the 8hrs and my eating window is extended ... will I get any real benefit from IF?
  • DeeDiddyGee
    peeshapie wrote: »
    I've been doing 16/8 IF now for an entire week without really knowing that's what I was doing! Now that I know the term and the benefits, I'm in! I'm tracking calorie intake and I'm about at 1300 or so cal/day on a goal of zone ratio 30p/30c/40f. I dropped a little over 5lbs in the first week, but I'm going to guess most of it is inflammatory loss. I'll update everyone weekly!

Congrats!!!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    VainMommy wrote: »
    So my issue is that I can wait to eat until 12-1pm no problem. But I can't/don't want to eat all my calories within the 8hrs and my eating window is extended ... will I get any real benefit from IF?

If it helps keep your calories for the day in check, that's a real benefit. You don't have to be religious about the 8 hours, nothing magic about that if you are using IF to help control your weight.
  • VainMommy
    VainMommy Posts: 46 Member
    VainMommy wrote: »

If it helps keep your calories for the day in check, that's a real benefit. You don't have to be religious about the 8 hours, nothing magic about that if you are using IF to help control your weight.

It definitely helps me keep my calories in check! Thank you!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    I do a 33-36 hour (no food from supper one evening until breakfast the day after the fast day) fast once a month. I don't change my calorie intake before or after.
  • Ketoandme
    Ketoandme Posts: 1 Member
    When fasting cam you have the bullet proof coffee?
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Can you use a pre workout drink while fasting?