MCT Oil

Options
VSGJOE
VSGJOE Posts: 19 Member
Anyone have issues with weight loss using MCT oil? The first week or two I wasn't using it and I lost about 10lbs. When I started using it my weight loss slowed, but I was also at the point that weight loss probably would have slowed as well. I removed it last week and did a fat fast, so I am not sure if it was the subtraction of the oil or the fast maybe? I did lose three pounds as a result of one or the other or the combination.

I don't have any digestion issues with it (eating poorly for as long as I have unfortunately has given me an iron tank). Just purely looking for issues around weight loss.

I'm going to remove it for two weeks and see if I lose closer to three pounds per week or closer to one pound per week, but I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    IMHO, MCT is not needed for most people. I use it because I am in maintenance and need the extra calories. MCT is not as satiating as most fats, so if weight loss is your goal, it should be used sparingly if at all
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    MCT is not for weight loss. It's an energy source. Your body would use less stored energy if you're providing it fast acting MCT oil.
    MCT oil is to boost ketones for their therapeutic benefit.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    joebuc wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with weight loss using MCT oil? The first week or two I wasn't using it and I lost about 10lbs. When I started using it my weight loss slowed, but I was also at the point that weight loss probably would have slowed as well. I removed it last week and did a fat fast, so I am not sure if it was the subtraction of the oil or the fast maybe? I did lose three pounds as a result of one or the other or the combination.

I don't have any digestion issues with it (eating poorly for as long as I have unfortunately has given me an iron tank). Just purely looking for issues around weight loss.

I'm going to remove it for two weeks and see if I lose closer to three pounds per week or closer to one pound per week, but I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

No losses and no gains with my use of MCT Oil. My goal is maintenance and use of MCT Oil has not caused me to gain. Or lose. I've been using it for 4 or 5 months. Not sure which month I started.

My daily use (most recently) for the last month (at least) has been 3 Tablespoons.
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    joebuc wrote: »

Honestly the first 10 lbs was probably water weight and now you are going into a more normal weight loss. You're not meant to drop 5 lbs a week.

• VSGJOE
    VSGJOE Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it. I have cut it out, as I can't imagine it is really benefiting me much. I have plenty of energy since switching to Keto, so there is no benefit there. I'll keep plugging along!