Gallon of Water a Day

KCMarie22
KCMarie22 Posts: 8 Member
Hello,

Just recently restarted working out again and I have always had problems with drinking water on a consistent basis. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on what I can do to make sure I am drinking enough water a day?

thank you.

Replies

• schughes48
    schughes48 Posts: 112 Member
    I have to force myself to drink it. I have to drink about 64 oz daily. Most of the time I can do this, however other days (like weekends) it's harder.

Advice just chug it.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    I do best with big water bottles with straws. I don't know why, but I just am able to drink more at once with them. I also use my tracker on MFP for water and aim to drink at least one 24oz bottle every two hours while sitting at my work desk.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I agree with the others on the color of the urine as to whether or not you need to be drinking more. Our bodies only need a certain amount of water before we are going to be running to the bathroom every so often to eliminate what we've drank if it's over the amount we need.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    I make sure I drink a glass with each meal or snack.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited March 2017
    A gallon is a lot. I usually drink about half that, maybe at most 80 oz a day if I'm very thirsty from working out or something...I drink about 8-10 8-ounce servings a day (if I don't I start to swell up and retain fluid)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    If you're not thirsty and your urine isn't dark yellow, you're sufficiently hydrated. No need to force yourself to drink water just because. Drinking too much water isn't good for you, either. It's just one of those things that have been thrown around as being a weight loss "must do," recently, and it's just not necessary. Also note that *all* liquids you drink count towards hydration - tea, coffee, soda, juice, milk - although you will have to account for the calories they contain.

The only time I would say to deliberately drink extra fluids would be after intense exercise that had you sweating, or if you've had a really high salt meal. The extra fluid intake will help decrease any temporary weight gain attributed to water retention from the excess salt. :)

Edited to add:

Here's a urine color chart for guidance:

http://www.highwayssafetyhub.com/uploads/5/1/2/9/51294565/hydration_-_urine_colour_chart.pdf

^ This. 100% this.

Also worth reading: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181/myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements
  • YSharpe
    YSharpe Posts: 13 Member
    I make it a point to carry a bottle of water everywhere i go just like my wallet!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,301 Member
    I do best with water bottles with straws too. I also put in a little of my fruit or mint tea(no sugar) or aloe vera juice
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    If you're not thirsty and your urine isn't dark yellow, you're sufficiently hydrated. No need to force yourself to drink water just because. Drinking too much water isn't good for you, either. It's just one of those things that have been thrown around as being a weight loss "must do," recently, and it's just not necessary. Also note that *all* liquids you drink count towards hydration - tea, coffee, soda, juice, milk - although you will have to account for the calories they contain.

The only time I would say to deliberately drink extra fluids would be after intense exercise that had you sweating, or if you've had a really high salt meal. The extra fluid intake will help decrease any temporary weight gain attributed to water retention from the excess salt. :)

Edited to add:

Here's a urine color chart for guidance:

http://www.highwayssafetyhub.com/uploads/5/1/2/9/51294565/hydration_-_urine_colour_chart.pdf

Yes - this!

As your workout increases you'll likely find your thirst adapting naturally.

The one habit I picked up to help with satiety is to drink 8 oz water about 30 mins prior to each meal.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    You get water from foods you eat and other liquids that you drink.
    If you are thirsty drink, that is your body telling you to hydrate.
    You may need extra hydration in hot weather, when you exercise etc.
  • Summershine2015
    Summershine2015 Posts: 1 Member
    I drink cold water in a large glass and through a straw ( It make it easier for me ) I also put cucumber in the water for taste. Hope it helps!
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    I use a one liter Nalgene(sp?) bottle some days and a 750ml blender bottle on other days and just fill fill fill...some days I hit 4 liters...some days I hit 3....some like 2.5. I pee enough to know that I'm sufficiently hydrated. Colors are within the proper spectrum and what not. Off to refill!!!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Once you get thirsty your body's damaged you should never feel thirsty
    Don't drink more than 2-3 litres water a day is can be dangerous
  • RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    I keep a 750ml bottle of water on my desk at work and drink it all day long. Probably refill 2-3 times in a day. Still not up to a gallon though (4 litres). That seems like a lot when the recommendation is 2 litres a day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited March 2017
    size102b wrote: »
    Once you get thirsty your body's damaged you should never feel thirsty
    Don't drink more than 2-3 litres water a day is can be dangerous

Um, I drink upwards of 6 litres a day. If I don't, I'm thirsty. So, what... I'm either damaging my body, or putting it in danger?

You need to drink a hell of a lot more than 2-3 litres a day before you're in any danger.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    I happen to drink a gallon+ each day, most days. (But I'm pregnant.) I keep a quart jar with a straw on the counter. When I am taking a break to read something, or when sitting at the table feeding the baby, I absentmindedly drink through the straw and before I know it, the jar is empty.