Is it possible to reach my goal by July?

I'm currently 168lbs and 5'3. My goal is to lose 35lbs (weight=133lbs). I plan to do intense cardio training 6x a week and eat 1500kcals. Is it doable? I don't urgently need to lose the weight by then, but it would be nice to look in shape for summer.

Replies

• 0mid0
    0mid0 Posts: 11 Member
    Even if you don't reach your goal by July (it's pretty aggressive), you can be in better shape in July than you are now.

I would think that would be awesome, even if you do have some weight left to lose when July rolls around. The alternative is to be exactly the same in July as you are now.

Being the same in July as I am now isn't an option lol. I'm going to start tomorrow regardless, even if I lose 5lbs it's progress.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    35 pounds in under four months, no. Instead, aim for a pound a week, log everything as accurately as possible, and you should be 15-20 pounds down by then.
  • floridamike99
    floridamike99 Posts: 35 Member
    Just one guy's opinion, but I don't understand why this will even be that big of a challenge. 35 pounds is approximately 122,000 calories. Losing that in 4 months means about a 1,000 calorie per day deficit. If you are planning "intense cardio", you will burn that in an hour or so per day. Just be reasonable with the rest of your life and this is definitely possible. No disrespect to the other posters (and conventional wisdom) that 1 pound a week is best, but that is only a 500 calorie per day deficit. If you are otherwise healthy, and can do "intense cardio" 6 days a week, then get after it, put up some deficits of 1,000+ calories a day and get it done! Good luck.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You could get more than half to 3/4 of the way there at least but hey get on it and just see what you can accomplish.

Don't think of it as a race but a marathon.

All the best.
  • floridamike99
    I don't necessarily disagree if the deficit is extreme and the person has "little to lose" as you wrote. However, this poster has a BMI of 29.8, so pretty much right on the obese line, and 1,000 calories a day if done smartly is definitely achievable and safe for someone in that position. She would probably need to taper off as time goes by to assure a "soft landing", but heck, she could keep eating what she is now and add in one hour of "intense cardio" a day and pretty much get the deficit I described.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    This is from my experience as we have similar stats op. I'm 5'3, started at 185 and I'm currently 162. You're better off with a moderate calorie deficit and strength/body weight workouts.

I lost 30lbs running and barely anyone noticed because I wasn't toning my lean muscle, I was actually losing muscle from being in a deficit and not training to keep it.

This time around (after baby 2) I am doing half a lb per week and using fitness blender videos on YouTube (lots of body weight strength mixed with Hitt cardio). I've only lost 22lbs so far but I have so many people telling me it looks like I've lost a lot of weight. I still run because I love it but that strength training is where I'm getting results.

If you want a friend for support and diary ideas you can add me
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    It's possible. I lost 25 lbs last year in a little less than 3 months. I also gained it all back later in the year. I'm trying to be more realistic this time and make this a lifestyle change and not a race to the end. I don't want to gain it all back again. :neutral:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I don't necessarily disagree if the deficit is extreme and the person has "little to lose" as you wrote. However, this poster has a BMI of 29.8, so pretty much right on the obese line, and 1,000 calories a day if done smartly is definitely achievable and safe for someone in that position. She would probably need to taper off as time goes by to assure a "soft landing", but heck, she could keep eating what she is now and add in one hour of "intense cardio" a day and pretty much get the deficit I described.

Even at most the recommendation for weight loss is 1% per week, which in her case would be about 1.6 pounds. Your body can only burn so much fat per day...after that, it burns muscle. And higher deficits can also lead to health issues (hair loss, dry/brittle nails, hormonal imbalances, organ malfunctions).
  • floridamike99
    OK, I am going to bow out. Never meant to get in a fight. Time for me to go ride my bike anyway. Good luck to all.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    OK, I am going to bow out. Never meant to get in a fight. Time for me to go ride my bike anyway. Good luck to all.

No one is fighting with you, but I did attempt to explain why your opinion might not be accurate for someone with a very different body than I presume you to have from your comment. A lot of bigger/taller/heavier people (especially men, who tend to also carry more muscle and have correspondingly higher TDEEs) just don't realize why their advice might not be as applicable to someone who is not in the same situation. Which then results in having people like the OP wondering why their goals seem so unattainable and getting frustrated when they "fail" and that's not a good thing either.

• jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    edited March 2017
    peleroja wrote: »
    Just one guy's opinion, but I don't understand why this will even be that big of a challenge. 35 pounds is approximately 122,000 calories. Losing that in 4 months means about a 1,000 calorie per day deficit. If you are planning "intense cardio", you will burn that in an hour or so per day. Just be reasonable with the rest of your life and this is definitely possible. No disrespect to the other posters (and conventional wisdom) that 1 pound a week is best, but that is only a 500 calorie per day deficit. If you are otherwise healthy, and can do "intense cardio" 6 days a week, then get after it, put up some deficits of 1,000+ calories a day and get it done! Good luck.

Let me guess, you're a man? A taller-than-5'3" man?

A 1000 calorie deficit for a woman her size is very aggressive, even with exercise, mainly because for a short, not especially heavy woman, an hour's cardio is going to be much more like 500 calories than 1000 (I personally burn about 600 calories in an 7-8 mile run, for example, and I don't do that every single day.)

I'm lighter than she is but active for more than an hour a day on average (run 30-40 miles per week + cycle commute daily in summer and average around 5 miles a day walking in addition to the running) and I maintain my weight on about 2000 calories a day. If I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week, I'd need to maintain that much activity on 1000 calories a day and I'm pretty sure I'd last about two weeks before crashing and burning.

Granted, OP is heavier and that makes a difference, but it's still a much more aggressive cut than it would be for someone larger, so I'd think twice before dismissing the people who stated that a pound a week might be more realistic and sustainable over months.

35 pounds isn't enough weight to really need to worry about sustainability. Especially if you are only gonna be cutting for 4 months. That's only 2 lbs a week, less if you account for the fact that shes gonna lose 5-7 lbs in the first 10 days just for kicking the junk (sodas, bread, salty stuff, etc.) Neither of you are unreasonable. One of you is just being super aggressive and the other very conservative. To think that this girl could burn 500/day and deficit 500/day is VERY reasonable. Tough, but reasonable. Is it ideal? No. But is it some super dangerous thing that she just must absolutely not do? No, that's ridiculous.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    0mid0 wrote: »
    Even if you don't reach your goal by July (it's pretty aggressive), you can be in better shape in July than you are now.

I would think that would be awesome, even if you do have some weight left to lose when July rolls around. The alternative is to be exactly the same in July as you are now.

Being the same in July as I am now isn't an option lol. I'm going to start tomorrow regardless, even if I lose 5lbs it's progress.

Back to the OP...that's the spirit! :smiley:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »

Let me guess, you're a man? A taller-than-5'3" man?

A 1000 calorie deficit for a woman her size is very aggressive, even with exercise, mainly because for a short, not especially heavy woman, an hour's cardio is going to be much more like 500 calories than 1000 (I personally burn about 600 calories in an 7-8 mile run, for example, and I don't do that every single day.)

I'm lighter than she is but active for more than an hour a day on average (run 30-40 miles per week + cycle commute daily in summer and average around 5 miles a day walking in addition to the running) and I maintain my weight on about 2000 calories a day. If I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week, I'd need to maintain that much activity on 1000 calories a day and I'm pretty sure I'd last about two weeks before crashing and burning.

Granted, OP is heavier and that makes a difference, but it's still a much more aggressive cut than it would be for someone larger, so I'd think twice before dismissing the people who stated that a pound a week might be more realistic and sustainable over months.

35 pounds isn't enough weight to really need to worry about sustainability. Especially if you are only gonna be cutting for 4 months. That's only 2 lbs a week, less if you account for the fact that shes gonna lose 5-7 lbs in the first 10 days just for kicking the junk (sodas, bread, salty stuff, etc.) Neither of you are unreasonable. One of you is just being super aggressive and the other very conservative. To think that this girl could burn 500/day and deficit 500/day is VERY reasonable. Tough, but reasonable. Is it ideal? No. But is it some super dangerous thing that she just must absolutely not do? No, that's ridiculous.

4 months is a long time to be doing an hour's hard cardio every day on less than 1500 calories, which judging from the TDEE calculator I just checked with OP's stats is what would be necessary to achieve the necessary deficit for her.

I mean, it's possible, I just don't think it'd be likely to happen for most people even for a relatively short duration of only a few months. I speak from experience when I say that a 1000-calorie deficit when your TDEE isn't super high although you're active is a recipe for feeling pretty exhausted all the time (and hungry!), even if you pay attention to your other nutritional needs as far as macros etc.

I'm sure many people could power through it, but why not eat enough to not feel like a bag of garbage all the time and lose a little slower? Losing two pounds a week is not unrealistic for lots of people, but I think choosing that as your goal when you have a TDEE of, say, 2000-2500 calories is pretty unnecessary and is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    0mid0 wrote: »

That's an awesome way to look at it! I agree that reaching your goal by July is unrealistic. Aim for 1 lb per week, you can still make a ginormous improvement in that time and not be miserable for 4 months, :lol: