Where are the bridesmaids?

My best friend is having a wedding (vow renewal) the week of my birthday this year, which is the first week of June. I am one of two maids of honor and I would really, really like to look great in my dress before that time frame. I'm 5'4" and currently at about 200lbs, I've ordered pre-prepped meals from a health food/fitness based store, and am also preparing healthy meals, I've cut out soda, tea, pretty much anything but water, and my morning coffee.

I used to work out regularly, but have only just started getting back into it, so the intention is to ramp up the work outs as well as watching my food. (In 2015 I lost a LOT of weight from working out, and didn't really watch what I was eating.)

I'd really like to lose about 30lbs in the next 13 weeks.

If anyone has a similar goal, feel free to friend me. :)

Anyone want to post pictures up of how great you looked in your bridesmaid dresses so I can have some (additional) motivation?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I'm my cousin's MOH for a beach wedding in Mexico in June.

I am currently sitting at 142lbs at 5'3"...with probably 10lbs or so to lose. My current calorie goal is 1650.

I run 5/3/1 4x a week which is a strength training program and eat whatever I like, keeping it within my goal.

I ordered my dress...I was a 6 on top and an 8 on the bottom so I ordered an 8 and will probably need to get it taken in, especially the halter straps because I have a short torso.
  • KrisisOD
    KrisisOD Posts: 43 Member
    Good luck, you might be over reaching on a goal in that time, (2.3 pounds per week with only 30 to lose isn't really do-able) but i just want to point out that just because you had a lot of luck not counting and only exercising the first time, i would not rely on that a second time, if you want to reach goal, count your calories and count them properly.

I wouldn't call working out four or five times a week for two hours (an hour of cardio, and an hour of weights) a day luck, but I agree, 30lbs is more than I would count on reaching. I won't be heart broken if I don't reach it, but it's one of those things that I'd rather set a goal a little out of reach than set one that's too lax, and not push myself to reach it. Thank you for your input though.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    I'm MOH for my sister's wedding the first week in April. I've lost just under 35 pounds since November. Trying on my dress (post-alterations) this Saturday.

You can definitely get more in shape between now and June. I wouldn't stress about the specific number on the scale (and as others have said, a 30 pound goal in 3 months may be pushing it.) Just put your numbers into MFP, set your goals, and trust. As long as you log accurately, you'll definitely be making a difference.

What worked for me was definitely the diet change. I added exercise where I was doing zero exercise before, but it's really just counting calories that has made the difference. Switching to water like you mentioned is a great change. It's the one thing I don't have to log, and it's made a big difference having my calories only come from food and none come from beverages.

Good luck! Do your best, don't get discouraged, and you can make a lot of progress by June.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    While one of my best friends hasnt yet set a date I am expecting a wedding late this year/early next year. Knowing I have a fair bit of weight to lose I thought best to start now:)

TBH I haven't dialed in my eating completely as yet and I have been trying to make exercise part of my routine. I have a goal of doing a 13km race in June which I also know will be easier if I can drop a few kgs. 12 weeks till the race on Monday so I'll be getting back on the food counting wagon.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    KrisisOD wrote: »
    Good luck, you might be over reaching on a goal in that time, (2.3 pounds per week with only 30 to lose isn't really do-able) but i just want to point out that just because you had a lot of luck not counting and only exercising the first time, i would not rely on that a second time, if you want to reach goal, count your calories and count them properly.

I wouldn't call working out four or five times a week for two hours (an hour of cardio, and an hour of weights) a day luck, but I agree, 30lbs is more than I would count on reaching. I won't be heart broken if I don't reach it, but it's one of those things that I'd rather set a goal a little out of reach than set one that's too lax, and not push myself to reach it. Thank you for your input though.
    Working out isn't gonna be the reason why you lose weight. It'll be how much you consume under your TDEE. It's part of the reason why half the gym goers see no progress with the exception of fitness in their bodies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KrisisOD
    KrisisOD Posts: 43 Member
    I feel like I haven't been very clear. When I was going before my goal was to become fitter, not necessarily thinner as I wasn't as weighty as I am now.

I didn't eat fast food, nor did I have super terrible eating habits prior, which is why I lost fat as well as gained muscle.

I am now currently eating very clean with help form a food prepping service, as I don't have a lot of free time, and don't want to risk the temptation of fast food.

I will be working out, along with calorie deficits even on days I don't.

30lbs was just a rough where I'd like to be not an end all be all number. This was supposed to be a light hearted post on bridesmaids dresses, more than anything, but I suppose I worded everything incorrectly.

I know my TDEE, and am realistic enough about weight loss that I realize I'm most likely not going to see 170 before the wedding, but I felt that I needed a goal that would continue to help me push, because if I don't have to push I won't work as hard as I could. I apologize that everyone seemed to think that I have no idea about calories in vs calories out, nor how weight loss worked.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    I'm just here to see the pretty dresses and wish you good luck!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Me! I'm in my brothers wedding in August, and the thought of being in pictures was the kick in the pants I needed to get back on track.
  • boogledoo8
    boogledoo8 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2017
    Always a bridesmaid, never the bride! I'm in three more weddings this year and I served as MOH for my best friend this past November. One of my new dresses is the exact same as hers except for the color. MOH dress was navy and the new one is lilac. Too bad it wasn't the other way around — I would try dyeing the lilac dress navy to save money!

I'm 5'4" and bought my MOH dress in a 10 as it wouldn't zip over my bust even though the 8 fit better. My new dress is a 6! I'm 148 right now and want to get down to 135. Hopefully I can do it by July!
  • camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    I'm MOH for my best friends wedding in April. Just found out the date last weekend so now I have 7 weeks to find a dress for the wedding. She kind of just sprung it on all of us (there are four bridesmaids including myself) but she just found out she's pregnant so she wants to have the wedding before she starts to show.

They've been engaged for a couple years now, so I've been prepping and preparing myself for her wedding for quit some time but I was beginning to wonder if they were ever going to get married and got a little lax on my eating and exercise habits. Well now that they've finally set a date it is just the motivation I need to get back on track not just get ready for the wedding, but get ready for summer too.
  • stephharding
    stephharding Posts: 7 Member
    I'm a bridesmaid in June and then I'm getting married in August! I'm trying to lose 20lbs before June 10, I will add you! :)
  • stephie59
    stephie59 Posts: 23 Member
    I'm a bridesmaid in July, hoping to lose at least 30 lbs by the wedding. I will add you!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    that requires having friends :(