TEAM TWO

Replies

• Cindyk4919
    Cindyk4919 Posts: 401 Member

That slaw sounds delicious. Can you share the recipe...if it's easy to make...lol. [/quote]

Couldn't be more simple- I didn't use a recipe but was inspired by something similar that I had in Puerto Rico-
    1 can crushed pineapple undrained
    2 cups grated carrots
    and the seeds of 1 pomegranate
    Sea salt to taste
    Drain as served with a slotted spoon
  • Cindyk4919
    Cindyk4919 wrote: »
    That slaw sounds delicious. Can you share the recipe...if it's easy to make...lol.

Couldn't be more simple- I didn't use a recipe but was inspired by something similar that I had in Puerto Rico-
    1 can crushed pineapple undrained
    2 cups grated carrots
    and the seeds of 1 pomegranate
    Sea salt to taste
    Drain as served with a slotted spoon[/quote]
    I forgot the chopped celery
    You could definitely use chayote in this dish

• annenonomus
    annenonomus Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2017
    Challenge # 3 week 7

I chose thyme and scotch bonnet peppers.

I chopped the peppers very very fine and added those with the thyme, onions and garlic to some baby potatoes I sauteed for dinner.

Holy Hot! Good, (I like hot), but holy moly, mouth and lips burned for a long time. Had to use ice cream to cool it down :(

Much later after washing my hands thoroughly and frequently, I put in my contact lenses.

aaaaaarrrrggghhhhhh!

Then I gauged out my eyeballs with a spoon to rinse them under cold water.

phew. I liked them, but I think I need to be a little more careful in my handling.
  • lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    Challenge # 3
    I chose the spice nutmeg.
    I had no idea what I was going to do because I don't cook with a lot of spices and lately I'm not doing any of the cooking at home. When I saw Tami's post about putting it in oatmeal, I thought there's an idea. I happened to have nutmeg at home and I eat oatmeal almost every day at work.
    I typically add cinnamon, flax seeds, and powdered peanut butter. Today I did cinnamon, flax seeds, the nutmeg, and raisins. It was actually pretty yummy and if it does have so many benefits, I might try to keep adding it along with the cinnamon. Only thing to figure out is if it will go well with my powdered peanut butter. :)
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    "CHALLENGE #3"
    Ginger & Allspice

I made a Creamy Ginger & Allspice Vinaigrette. I attempted to find a recipe through google but I didn't have all the ingredients listed for any of them so I decided to compromise...

1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 tbsp Light Mayo
    1/2 tsp Allspice
    1/2 tsp Ginger
    1/2 tsp Honey

58 Calories, not too shabby!

Last night I also made Fish and seasoned it with a spice I had in the cupboard called Caribbean Jerk that has Thyme and Allspice in it. I have a spicy curry powder too that I like to add to chicken and pasta's that again has Allspice and Ginger in it! I had no idea Allspice was in so many of my favorite dishes!
  • Aprilstar480
    edited March 2017
    @annenonomus... Lol, been there done that! Gotta be careful with the peppers. I had Jalapeno, Habanero, and Chili peppers in my garden last summer and I think my fingers burned for about a month straight from picking and prepping them to be dried! Love, love, love spicy food so it was worth it to me. Note to self though to pick up some plastic gloves with my garden supplies this spring ;)
  • Sheri869
    Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
    edited March 2017
    Kasi!! (Aprilstar480) That's SO COOL you're on our team! 'Course I've been a Horrible teammate the last couple weeks...stupid life getting all hectic. I've just been a little overwhelmed...hoping to get back on some kind of track!! I'm so behind on our team page I didn't even know you were on the team till now...LAMER...well...Welcome anyway...its cool to be on a team with you in a challenge!!
  • annenonomus
    Cindyk4919 wrote: »
    Challenge #3
    I love the food challenge! I'm an adventurous cook, so this got me thinking outside of the box. -How can I use one of these spices in a manner that is new to me?
    Every week I cook up a largg7batch of oatmeal plus. It is a combination of oatmeal, quinoa, flax and hemp seed. During the week, I refry it adding sweet or savory ingredients. My go to is spinach and Swiss cheese. So let's shake it up a little Caribbean style.
    8iboogrltjwk.jpg
    006cl7tb4qwd.jpg
    euwabbjue5rs.jpg
    This week I had also made up some carrot pineapple pomegranate slaw, that I was using as salad toppings. So how would it taste to add a healthy dollop of ground ginger to about a half cup of carrot slaw and add that to my fried oatmeal; The answer is delicious and amazing! Pomegranates, pineapple and ginger really go together well.

That slaw sounds delicious. Can you share the recipe...if it's easy to make...lol.

Is the "Oatmeal Plus" a premix package or a homemade combination you made up. It sounds wonderful. I love both savoury and sweet oatmeal, but I never thought to do a big batch and refry it. If it's a homemade combination, can you provide ratios and cooking times (do you stagger cooking time or cook separately or something? (I find oatmeal especially steel cut takes quite a bit longer than Quinoa)

thx.

• annenonomus
    @annenonomus... Lol, been there done that! Gotta be careful with the peppers. I had Jalapeno, Habanero, and Chili peppers in my garden last summer and I think my fingers burned for about a month straight from picking and prepping them to be dried! Love, love, love spicy food so it was worth it to me. Note to self though to pick up some plastic gloves with my garden supplies this spring ;)

Unfortunately....This is not the first time I've done this...You'd think I would learn. Those peppers always look so innocent sitting there all shiny and candy apple red. Yet it always surprises me how much the oils stick to the skin, even after vigorous washing. Definitely need to pick up pepper gloves.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    @annenonomus Your comment had me literally laughing out loud! I've had that same problem with seasoning my food with the peppers and then putting in my contact lens!

But yea, three things we Jamaicans like about our food: well seasoned, well done (rare or even medium rare foods are a no no) and super hot/spicy. When my husband and his brothers cook for instance, your eyes literally run water the food is so hot. One day hubby cooked "Peppered Steak". After taking a bite and choking it down with some water, I told him to call it "Steak Pepper" instead because I could barely taste the steak in there, it was ALL pepper. Jamaicans would say "him stay far and trow [throw] in di [the] steak". :D:D:D
  • Aprilstar480
    Sheri869 wrote: »
    Kasi!! (Aprilstar480) That's SO COOL you're on our team! 'Course I've been a Horrible teammate the last couple weeks...stupid life getting all hectic. I've just been a little overwhelmed...hoping to get back on some kind of track!! I'm so behind on our team page I didn't even know you were on the team till now...LAMER...well...Welcome anyway...its cool to be on a team with you in a challenge!!

Lol, I was wondering were the heck you've been! I just started last Monday. I've got a trip to Hawaii planned next month and I need all the extra motivation I can get. I was pretty excited to see that I was put on your team. I love all the dance video workouts we get to do here! Are you planning a challenge anytime soon?
  • Cindyk4919
    I did zero extra exercises today, plus ate OUT two meals, drank three beers and ate all the nuts in the cupboard!
    But.... I did hang 24 more PAIRS of drapes and I successfully didn't run over any college students that never learned to look both ways before walking. I'm still thinking...good day overall.
  • Soulfood77
    Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Soulfood77 wrote: »
    Challenge #3
    I used Thyme.
    I found a recipe online for cheese crackers with Thyme so I gave it a try! They were quite delicious - the thyme gave it a nice refreshing flavour and a beautiful smell...

Were they crispy or soft? They look like little savory cookies to me. Maybe I'll test them out later this week.

They are soft kind of like cookies! I had a few of the leftovers tonight. Had one cold and it was ok but then I zapped the rest in the microwave for 20 seconds and they were soft and warm and delicious!
  • Soulfood77
    Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
    Just finished challenge 2 - I really enjoyed that video! Hard to believe it's the same gal that made us do that horrible seated workout lol. Definitely the same dog though.

I think I will come back to this video in the future!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I almost killed myself running 8.5 miles on hilly trails today. I didn't realize summer was starting today. It was OK when I began, but the temp was up to 80 degrees before I was even half way in. Not used to running in warm weather! It's fine in August when I'm acclimated, but I've been running in the 50's lately. I must have looked pathetic slogging up those hills...but then again, nobody else was running, so I guess that makes me a badass after all! :D
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Hey Team! Today is my birthday and I celebrated by having a killer workout! (and then eating everything in sight :'( ) Oh well, I will try to make up for it tomorrow...or not :D
  • energyseeker
    energyseeker Posts: 855 Member
    Happy Birthday @jamaicanlady !
  • lbenson2006
    Glad u survived Jenilla!
  • lbenson2006
    Happy birthday, Tameika!! Glad you enjoyed it!! :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    @jamaicanlady I made you a cake. As you can see, I went ahead and tested it. Mmmm...delicious!
    nraq3j66snyi.jpg