Confusing weight on nutrition label

It seems silly making this, so sorry for doing so. But I'd been logging clementines just using the normal amount (70 cals for 2, 148g). But then I weighed one of them today, and it came up as 52-53g - and that's with the peel. Without the peel, it was 41g.

82g, or even 106g with the peel, seems pretty far off from the 148g that's listed on the label, but they all seem to be about the same size. So what am I missing? I've yet to see a clementine that appears 50% bigger than what I'm used to. What gives? And have you come across this issue with other products as well?

Also, should I just go from the peeled weight when I log them from now on or am I actually supposed to go with the 148g option?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Just use the 1g option and put the weight of the edible portion.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member

^^^This.

Unless you eat the peel for some reason. ;)
  • Nick2290
    Nick2290 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks all :) Just seems bizarre that the amount on the label would be so far off from what appears to be average!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Nick2290 wrote: »
    Thanks all :) Just seems bizarre that the amount on the label would be so far off from what appears to be average!
    The labels are only a guide. For truly accurate calorie counting you have to weigh all your solids and measure all your liquids.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

^^^This.

Unless you eat the peel for some reason. ;)

If you eat the peel, then it is part of the edible portion :smile:
  • choctaw529
    choctaw529 Posts: 3 Member
    Not sure if this helps but, the drought produced smaller fruit crops than normal. I noticed the clementines were noticeably smaller this past year. Perhaps they did not adjust their labels to reflect the change in hopes they will return to the larger size before anyone noticed.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Something like fruit is never going to be a standard size - and even if it has a label (pretty unusual for the fruit and veg that I buy) you could only even see that as a guide. It's not like biscuits that get stamped out in a large scale factory, so you have to expect variations.

I think a clementine is the same as a mandarin - so just peel it and weight it. If you think they are pretty much all the same size you could use an average weight so you don't have to weigh every single one, though it would be an interesting exercise to see how similar they are.