JIM'S EXCELLENT OMAD ADVENTURE....

flanaganjim1
flanaganjim1 Posts: 23 Member
Late afternoon on my 2nd OMAD day...hunger issues kept me awake for several hours last night but that's a small price to pay for the knowledge that I'm doing the right thing for myself and my family. This morning had grapefruit juice, hot dogs, beans, sauerkraut and oat meal. Today I noticed an OMAD benefit that even Joe forgot to mention (maybe because it only applies to people who live alone.) Now I no longer have to mess about in the kitchen cooking, washing, and and putting things away three, four, five times a day. As I sit here typing my kitchen is spotless, dishes etc. washed and put away, cupboards all neat and arranged so I can find stuff etc. and I don't even have to go near the kitchen until tomorrow! Actually tomorrow my son Jim, is coming over as he does every Friday when we eat fast food and watch a movie. Tomorrow I'll have Nachos Bel Grande and a taco for my daily meal which clicks right in to my calorie range of 1,000 ti 1,100 calories per meal.

Replies

• KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Hi Jim! Congrats on starting and getting through your first couple of days. And Yes, keep in mind that this is something that is going to improve your health and overall happiness!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Simplification of the daily routine just to keep oneself fed is a major benefit of OMAD. Glad it's coming along! First 3 days are the toughest, it gets much better after that.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Enjoy your Mexican meal tomorrow, it sounds yummy :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Good luck, it will get easier!
  • flanaganjim1
    Thank you so much Keto, Levee, Brenda, and Blambo for your encouragement. I appreciate your kind thoughts more than you know! <3
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Nice, Jim!

And LOT is to be said for keeping the kitchen clean!!!
  • flanaganjim1
    edited March 2017
    It's after 10pm and I got through my 3rd day swimmingly. Since I'm hitting the big "Eight-O" this year I'm wondering if I'm the oldest guy doing OMAD, A big part of my motivation is I really don't know how much time I have left and I want to experience all those benefits Joe describes, especially the mental clarity, energy, and creativity, not to mention the spiritual aspect. In a way I'm like a scientist observing an experiment and that experiment is me! I haven't been doing any painting for months now and I used to be quite productive and selling about half my output all over the world. I really miss being engaged with painting and having the satisfaction of knowing my work is admired and hanging in people's homes. I kind of think of that as my legacy: after I'm gone my work will be around for hundreds of years (as long as we're smart enough not to blow our planet up!) It's amazing how much it takes sometimes to make a stubborn Irishman give up a bad habit, even one that is killing him. I started smoking when I was a kid and even in my early 60's I kept puffing away. The only thing that made me quit were terribly painful angina attacks. One evening I was out shopping (for junk food of course) in a supermarket and I started having these awful chest pains. I leaned against something clutching my chest thinking it was all over at last. Anyway, I survived once more and I never smoked again...and the chest pains finally stopped. If you think I'm an idiot for letting things get that desperate, you're right! I'm very grateful that I stumbled over Joe/s OMAD Revolution in what may be the nick of time! Best wishes and goodnight, my fellow OMADs. :)
  • blambo61
    Congrats on kicking the smoking habit! I think we are all winners as we try to improve ourselves. That is about all we can do and enjoy the journey. Good luck!
  • Brendalea69
    It's wonderful that you quit smoking and now that you are doing OMAD you have increased the number of years that you'll be living on this planet (Praying that it doesn't get blown up) :)
  • leveejohn
    First three days in the rear view mirror, that's the toughest part! Yes, this does feel like an experiment, with a sample size of 1 (and no control sample). That's why I love this group; it helps immensely to see how others are experiencing OMAD.

What a wonderful way to enter your next decade!
  • blambo61
    Service to others is extremely important too! Makes for a fulfilled life I believe. I feel like we all help each other a bit here on these forums so I like that too!
  • flanaganjim1
    Thanks everyone....the hunger pangs fell off considerably last night so I guess the beat-up old bod is beginning to learn a new trick. Just sent a message to Joe asking him to make a video telling us about how he got started, who were his influences and why he picked this particular method of intermittent fasting. There are so many "experts" on YouTube claiming their method is best, how in the world did Joe decide on OMAD and have the motivation to push through the difficulties (and blaze a "been there, done that" trail for the rest of us fortunate folks to take advantage of!) :)
  • flanaganjim1
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Service to others is extremely important too! Makes for a fulfilled life I believe. I feel like we all help each other a bit here on these forums so I like that too!

That's a big part of how AA members stop drinking, Blam. Just as effective for people (like me) with eating disorders.
  • leveejohn
    That's a big part of how AA members stop drinking, Blam. Just as effective for people (like me) with eating disorders.
    Quite an interesting comment. In Jason Fung's book The Obesity Code, he also makes a parallel between treatment of alcoholism and weight. It's a multi-faceted disorder, requiring a multi-faceted approach.
  • flanaganjim1
    WOW!!! Every Monday morning I get a robo-call from Humana in which they get an update on my weight and other medical info so Monday is my regular weigh-day.. This morning I was astonished to see that in my first five days doing OMAD I dropped from 284 to 278...six pounds in five days! (Joe has now become "St. Joseph", my patron saint! o:) ) Over my first five days I averaged about 1100 calories per day and -- I can't believe I'm writing this-- I'm going to have to INCREASE my daily calories to 1200-1300 because a hyper-sedentary old fart like me losing that much weight in five days is too quick. Even eating 1100 calories of delicious food inside an hour is kinda tough for me (yesterday I felt sickish) so I might have to slow it down and stretch my actual eating parameters to two hours. Anyway, I'm obviously a very happy camper. I believe that at last I've found an eating regimen that fits me to a "T"...and I'm grateful beyond words to Joe for showing me the way and all my fellow OMADs that have offered encouragement. <3
  • kabrigail
    kabrigail Posts: 149 Member
    Wonderful!!!!
  • Brendalea69
    You are doing AWESOME!!! :)
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    6lbs!! Way to go! I'm a little opposite than you, this gal can eat over 1,000 in like 15 minutes. Ha! I'm happy that you are a part of this group and it is awesome to see how well you are doing. Keep it up!
  • leveejohn
    Congratulations Jim!!! You got this!
  • flanaganjim1
    Thank you all for your kind words...and right back atcha! :)