TEAM FIVE

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Sorry I've not been very active lately. I've not felt well for several weeks - no energy, want to sleep all the time, shivering like crazy, sore throat (inside and out), been popping Advil just so I can function. Saw a doctor today and so far it looks like a thyroid issue. I'll continue to help out the team as much as possible, but I'm sorry to say it just won't be at my past levels.

I have hyperthyroidism where it's overactive. I'm super energetic, I can't tolerate temperatures, I'm so hungry all the time, my hands shake at times when it gets bad, and I have lumps on my neck (which doctors have said it could be a cause from the thyroid problem)
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    @My_Butt Are you on medication? I'm told that this is fairly common and medication will keep it under control. Oddly enough so far tests indicate I also have hyperthyroidism. I asked her why am I so tired all the time and she said it's because my body is working so hard to keep up with all the extra hormone being produced that it's basically wearing itself out. I have a couple more tests in the next couple weeks and then being referred to an endocrinologist.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited March 2017
    Hey Fab Fives... I have been active, just hadn't entered anything into the spreadsheet until just a bit ago... looks like my somewhat measly minutes was enough to get us to Jamaica (yea!) and we're just 15 points behind Team 6 for 3rd and just 20 points behind Team 4 for 2nd for the week standings. I just added a note to everyone's feed that was showing blank rows, so hopefully we'll get a few more entered soon.

@biketheworld -- feel better soon!

Have a great and fit weekend!
  • My_Butt
    @My_Butt Are you on medication? I'm told that this is fairly common and medication will keep it under control. Oddly enough so far tests indicate I also have hyperthyroidism. I asked her why am I so tired all the time and she said it's because my body is working so hard to keep up with all the extra hormone being produced that it's basically wearing itself out. I have a couple more tests in the next couple weeks and then being referred to an endocrinologist.

I chose not to go the medicine route. My doctor wasn't too pleased with me to say the least. He said untreated hyperthyroidism will most likely end in heart failure since it's a constant adrenaline rush and your heart just can't handle it anymore. He kept pointing out that I already have mitral valve prolapse and tachycardia, but I just didn't feel like using medication.

I'm SUPER active and energetic all day, but once I stop and sit, I am out. And I sleep like I'm dead to the world. But after 4 hours, I'm wide awake and ready to go. But I also have ADHD, so I guess that's probably why I don't feel exhausted. It takes a lot to poop me out, but I like this feeling and I don't really want it corrected or changed.
  • karinidowu
    karinidowu Posts: 327 Member
    CHALLENGE #1: VIDEO #1 "IS MORE OF A SWAY AND GROOVE"
    20 min video-complete

CHALLENGE #3:
    I chose ginger - I made a drink called good girl moonshine and it is a great drink for weight loss and helps with digestion. I make my own ginger juice and freeze ice cubes then when I am ready to make the drink it is ready to go and tastes fresh. I use apple cider vinegar and pure stevia with ggms.

Challenge #2 I will complete tomorrow Sat.
  • My_Butt
    Ugh! I hated logging my weight on the spreadsheet today! It's girly times and I ALWAYS gain about 5lbs of bloat. Oh well, it'll come back off for the next weighin.
  • biketheworld
    CHALLENGE #3
    My husband made chicken using thyme.

He does all the cooking here and has never tried this before. He brined the chicken first, then sprinkled it with thyme and oregano, browned it, and baked in oven.

It was very moist and tender, but had kind of a weird taste. We both enjoyed it, but will probably not repeat.
  • jen_b860813
    jen_b860813 Posts: 303 Member
    So funny that Jamaica is the destination, we had two teachers in our building leave for Jamaica this week. One for their destination wedding and one for vacation. A little jealous ;) Anyways.. I am just swinging by to update. I chose the 2nd video for the challenge, I needed it!

I did the recovery video yesterday, to recover from taking care of my 3 year old all night and getting NO sleep. She had a nasty stomach flu, today I am not feeling very well either :/ I am going to walk on my treadmil and see how I feel, I may do this video again.

Anyways... I got my minutes for the spreadsheet updated. I will post challnge #3 seperately. Hope you all had a great week, I'm not sure I will have minutes tomorrow if my stomach is not feeling better. :(
  • jen_b860813
    jen_b860813 Posts: 303 Member
    Challenge #3:
    I made roasted red potatoes with EVOO using fresh garlic, thyme, rosemary and a little salt and pepper

yum! My favorite way to have potatoes. :) We had friends over for dinner and these are always a go to for a dinner party. They were all gobbled up pretty quick.
  • milesaway61
    milesaway61 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Challenge 3

I used thyme. I made a baked salmon dish using some standard fish spices and thyme, and some butter for flavour. It was delicious. I am not sure that I would use thyme again in my salmon dish, because the seeds were a bit much for me. That said, the flavour and smell were amazing.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Challenge 3

I used thyme. I made a baked salmon dish using some standard fish spices and thyme, and some butter for flavour. It was delicious. I am not sure that I would use thyme again in my salmon dish, because the seeds were a bit much for me. That said, the flavour and smell were amazing.

That's interesting! The thyme that I have always used doesn't have any seeds. I guess I must also harvest my home grown variety before it goes to seed?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    karinidowu wrote: »
    CHALLENGE #1: VIDEO #1 "IS MORE OF A SWAY AND GROOVE"
    20 min video-complete

CHALLENGE #3:
    I chose ginger - I made a drink called good girl moonshine and it is a great drink for weight loss and helps with digestion. I make my own ginger juice and freeze ice cubes then when I am ready to make the drink it is ready to go and tastes fresh. I use apple cider vinegar and pure stevia with ggms.

Challenge #2 I will complete tomorrow Sat.

That good girl moonshine sounds great! I make a lot of things with ginger, so am always looking for new ways to use it. I looked up the recipe and the one I found calls for ground ginger. Do you use the fresh root and could you share how you make the ginger juice?

I've been experimenting with making golden milk using fresh turmeric and ginger roots. It's pretty interesting. Better with a little honey.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Challenge #3:
    I chose NUTMEG -- only one of the spices we had readily available in the house. I added it to some Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal and it was 'okay'... I really like the taste of nutmeg, but it didn't really go very well with the flavor of oatmeal that I had on hand. Nutmeg goes really well with some eggnog, but not so well with the oatmeal.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,971 Member
    edited March 2017
    Hey Fab Fives...I'm sorry but my minutes are going to be lousy this week. Have been working super late the past few days (past 11pm) and haven't gotten any working out in (and frankly wasn't feeling super great yesterday or today anyway - probably just hormones and allergies, nothing overly significant). It's so bad, that my board is still on top of my car from my paddle on Thursday, and I won't be getting it down until I'm heading out to church tomorrow. Also dealing with a fridge on the fritz which has taken up some of my processing time. I promise to get the two challenge videos done tomorrow as Sunday starts my weekend. Gah, a second week of waiting until the last day to get my challenges done. (Won't be able to do that next week as I'm flying to Texas on Sunday for some training.)

Too bad I can't get a second Challenge 3 bonus for using Scallions today in my lunch (made a Japanese Chicken, Scallions and Rice bowl). It was okay, but nothing to write home about. Have three more bowls to eat though since it made enough for 4 servings.

Anyway, heading to the spreadsheet to log the dreaded zeros...tomorrow, despite losing an hour of sleep, will be a better day!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    edited March 2017
    @b3achy - sounds like you're having the kind of week that I had LAST week. So many things getting in the way.

For those rice bowls, maybe add some extra veggies and some sriracha. Sriracha is my solution to everything that's kind of meh. :D

I only logged 30 minutes of yoga today and then lots of housework, which sadly doesn't count. Planning on at least an hour walk tomorrow so that will add to the miles a little bit.
  • biketheworld
    Finished Challenge #1 yesterday - then took the dog for a walk. Came home exhausted - slept almost 3 hours.

Finished Challenge #2 today. I'm exhausted. I'll be so glad when this health issue is taken care of. I have two grandkids tomorrow - ages 3 and 2 - from 7 am to 6 pm. Not sure how in the world I'm going to manage that.

OK - enough complaining. I need to start counting my many blessings instead of focusing on the couple things going wrong.

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,971 Member
    @RaeBeeBaby - yea, I added a bit of garlic powder and some black pepper to it for lunch today, which helped. I think the sriracha would be to overpowering...it feels like it should be a rather mild dish rather than too spicy...but I love sriracha too!

@biketheworld - hope you feel better soon! Congrats on getting the challenges done. I'm heading off to get mine done now.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Challenge #3

#1 - I love nutmeg in oatmeal. But it wasn't in the meal plan for the week.

Instead, I tried this: http://honestcooking.com/braised-chicken-thighs-mushrooms-creamy-polenta/

Holy Cow. YUM. It calls for thyme, which is one of my very favorite herbs. In warmer months, I'd have 4 varieties in my herb garden to pick from, as it is, we used Penzey's dried French Thyme. We didn't make the polenta part, but the chicken was perfectly cooked and the mushroom/onion/wine/thyme sauce.... it was the best thing I've eaten in a very long time.
  • milesaway61
    milesaway61 Posts: 1,390 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Challenge 3

That's interesting! The thyme that I have always used doesn't have any seeds. I guess I must also harvest my home grown variety before it goes to seed?

Maybe I just got weird thyme? I don't know. Tasted good in any case!

So, I managed to get over 700 minutes this week. Woo! My hockey tournament this week-end helped (although my team did not help me...), as did all the stretching and warming up/cooling down. We'll see how next week goes. I'll aim for 700 again, but I'm not overly optimistic that I'll hit it. My body is exhausted.