Reverse Diet

Replies

• brittaut
    brittaut Posts: 20 Member
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    brittaut wrote: »
    So basically what I am reading is, it doesnt really matter what time of day you eat. All that matters is your calorie deficit. And you should lose weight? Granted you are eating the proper foods and not junk. Maybe it would be easier if someone would send me a message and explain it to me, if thats not correct. And in exercising you have to burn more calories than you consume, right?

Your body burns most of the calories you consume doing absolutely nothing other than being alive e.g breathing. It's called your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). For my age, height, gender and current weight, my body burns about 1400 calories just being alive. Most people don't stay in bed all day but even without formal exercise they could add a few hundred calories to the number burned in a day. This extra energy expenditure is your TDEE. Mine sits at about 1980 a day without any formal exercise although I have a busy job where I move a lot (not at a desk).

To lose weight I try to eat about 1400-1600 a day in calories. I do not need to burn them all in exercise as my BMR burns off most of the calories with me just being alive. I hope that makes sense. If I ate 1980 a day I would stay at the weight I am, if I ate more I would put on weight and if I eat less calories than my TDEE then I lose weight (over time, you won't get fat with one big meal). If you go to settings and profile in MFP you will find your number. People tend to overestimate exercise calories because it is hard to know an exact number. BMR is fairly accurate, TDEE is not as accurate, but it's a great starting place!

It's super important that you are accurate with logging your food. Everything counts, including drinks. Be honest with everything you consume, food and drinks and I suggest getting a set of scales and weighing your food. I had junk food last night and I eat some chocolate every day. You have to make choices. Imagine if you were budgeting money, you could get an expensive pair of shoes but you might not be able to afford anything else that is expensive for a while. If you have more money (your TDEE is higher or you exercise more) then you have more to spend (more to eat). I can afford some chocolate and junk once in a while.

Okay! So my bmr is 1362 and mt tdee is 1862. So if I eat less than the 1862, I will lose weight....more, I will gain. Just tryi g to understand. New information, lol.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Okay! So my bmr is 1362 and mt tdee is 1862. So if I eat less than the 1862, I will lose weight....more, I will gain. Just tryi g to understand. New information, lol.

Assuming your TDEE really is 1862 any time you eat less than 1862 you will lose weight and any time you eat more than 1862 you will gain weight.

However this 1862 is a guessed value.

Only careful logging of what you eat and observation of your results over a period of time will let you know if your 1862 guess was correct.

Most online calculators guess your TDEE using a formula that multiplies your BMR by a number. Using the values you give I get a multiplication factor of 1.36 which is pretty non-standard. As such I suspect that either your BMR is not 1362 or your TDEE is not 1862, or both.

1362 sounds like your MFP GOAL Calories given a goal of a 1lb deficit per week, i.e. a deficit of 500 Cal a day from MFP's (I suspect) maintenance level of 1862.

However, MFP's maintenance level is not what is called a TDEE.

MFPs maintenance level is based on NEAT which is lower than your TDEE because it only takes into account your "non exercise activity".

MFP expects you to ADD to your eating goal the calories that you spend in excess of the level of activity you selected for yourself.

i.e. to lose 1lb a week you eat your 1362 plus any real extra exercise (or activity) that you burned in excess of the level of activity you selected when setting your goals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Starvation mode as in the body storing food for fat. Thats how my nutritionist described it to me. Is that I wasnt eating enough or consuming enough calories to be able to lose weight the healthy way. But yes, calorie deficit is the key.

Starvation mode is a myth unless you are emaciated and have lost a certain amount of muscle and weight.
  • brittaut
    brittaut Posts: 20 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Assuming your TDEE really is 1862 any time you eat less than 1862 you will lose weight and any time you eat more than 1862 you will gain weight.

However this 1862 is a guessed value.

Only careful logging of what you eat and observation of your results over a period of time will let you know if your 1862 guess was correct.

Most online calculators guess your TDEE using a formula that multiplies your BMR by a number. Using the values you give I get a multiplication factor of 1.36 which is pretty non-standard. As such I suspect that either your BMR is not 1362 or your TDEE is not 1862, or both.

1362 sounds like your MFP GOAL Calories given a goal of a 1lb deficit per week, i.e. a deficit of 500 Cal a day from MFP's (I suspect) maintenance level of 1862.

However, MFP's maintenance level is not what is called a TDEE.

MFPs maintenance level is based on NEAT which is lower than your TDEE because it only takes into account your "non exercise activity".

MFP expects you to ADD to your eating goal the calories that you spend in excess of the level of activity you selected for yourself.

i.e. to lose 1lb a week you eat your 1362 plus any real extra exercise (or activity) that you burned in excess of the level of activity you selected when setting your goals.

I used the MFP to get my BMR which was 1362 and I looked up a TDEE calculator and it gave me the 1862. But after reading these posts, I did other TDEE calculaters and they are all different. Another one says 2104. Another BMR and TDEE calculator says my BMR is 1460 and TDEE is 2008.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Here is another link to reverse dieting by THE REVERSE DIET DEBATE: Eric Helms + Menno Henselmans vs. Layne Norton + Peter Fitschen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrul81qco8
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    So basically what I am reading is, it doesnt really matter what time of day you eat. All that matters is your calorie deficit. And you should lose weight? Granted you are eating the proper foods and not junk. Maybe it would be easier if someone would send me a message and explain it to me, if thats not correct. And in exercising you have to burn more calories than you consume, right?

Your body burns most of the calories you consume doing absolutely nothing other than being alive e.g breathing. It's called your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). For my age, height, gender and current weight, my body burns about 1400 calories just being alive. Most people don't stay in bed all day but even without formal exercise they could add a few hundred calories to the number burned in a day. This extra energy expenditure is your TDEE. Mine sits at about 1980 a day without any formal exercise although I have a busy job where I move a lot (not at a desk).

To lose weight I try to eat about 1400-1600 a day in calories. I do not need to burn them all in exercise as my BMR burns off most of the calories with me just being alive. I hope that makes sense. If I ate 1980 a day I would stay at the weight I am, if I ate more I would put on weight and if I eat less calories than my TDEE then I lose weight (over time, you won't get fat with one big meal). If you go to settings and profile in MFP you will find your number. People tend to overestimate exercise calories because it is hard to know an exact number. BMR is fairly accurate, TDEE is not as accurate, but it's a great starting place!

It's super important that you are accurate with logging your food. Everything counts, including drinks. Be honest with everything you consume, food and drinks and I suggest getting a set of scales and weighing your food. I had junk food last night and I eat some chocolate every day. You have to make choices. Imagine if you were budgeting money, you could get an expensive pair of shoes but you might not be able to afford anything else that is expensive for a while. If you have more money (your TDEE is higher or you exercise more) then you have more to spend (more to eat). I can afford some chocolate and junk once in a while.

My TDEE is about 1700. I eat the minimum recommended 1200 daily calories. If I go over (1700+) I'll do cardio to shave off the excess energy (you don't have to do this, especially if you've been on track the rest of the week and don't go overboard consistently, I just prefer to.)

Newbies tend to flip out and obsess over "cheat meals/days," which leads to failure more often than not. This failure was enough to educate me on the importance of sustainable healthy eating habits.

Pro tip: Calorie counting will never account for unexpected life events/celebrations and days you want goodies. Don't ever punish yourself. It's normal, it's fine, and we all experience it. When it happens, you accept it and keep going on with your health goals.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

This thread is temporarily closed for moderation.

Sincerely,
    4legs
    MFP moderator
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

This thread has been reopened. Please carry on in answering the original poster's questions as best you can.

Thanks,

4legs
    MFP moderator
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I do need to get a food scale though!

I have all the toys. Treadmill, weights, fitness tracker, bike, wifi scale, shoes for treadmill, shoes for outside running, bluetooth headphones, phone apps, chest strap and tablet.

The food scale is the only tool I think is essential.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    I do need to get a food scale though!

I have all the toys. Treadmill, weights, fitness tracker, bike, wifi scale, shoes for treadmill, shoes for outside running, bluetooth headphones, phone apps, chest strap and tablet.

The food scale is the only tool I think is essential.

I agree! The food scale was the very first purchase I made when I first got here. Made sense that if I was going to the trouble of tracking calories that I at least do it as accurately as possible. Best investment (like $20) I ever made!

My second purchase was a fitbit. My exercise was physically limited to walking at the time, so the addition of the tracker made sense in order to monitor additional calories earned.

My third acquisition was a treadmill. I live in Canada. Walking outside in the winter can be problematic. :)
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    edited March 2017

that is how\when i weigh, too. first thing a.m. after restroom, and before eating\drinking.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    My third acquisition was a treadmill. I live in Canada. Walking outside in the winter can be problematic. :)

Ditto. Almost getting warm enough here to try going outside.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Oh c'mon pav.. you can do lots with 300 calories... its a piece of chicken.. thats enough isn't it?

It's a 6 pack of Oreos and a jolly rancher.
    Totally enough.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    metalmeow1 wrote: »
    "Reverse" diet? That's normal, x3 squares a day. "Reverse diet" instinctually leads me to assume eating in excess/you're going for weight gain.

I've tried eating my largest meal for breakfast and smallest for dinner. For several months. I saw no difference in weight loss. FYI.

The folks here on MFP helped set my head straight. CICO; meal order is irrelevant as long as your dinner is several hours before bedtime and you weigh yourself before dinner.

what happens if I eat dinner later and don't weigh myself??????
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Yes, one of the articles I read did explain that part about increasing calorie intake. Im gonna try it, as Im not a fan of most traditional breakfast items. So Ive been known to skip it....but chicken for breakfast, that I can do. I typically dont eat enough to lose any weight. My body is used to being in starvation mode. I put myself on a 1200 calorie diet and that is hard to do sometimes. I was just curious about it mostly, wondering if anybody had any success on that diet. Thank you for your input.

You're punking us.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    I apologize.

You just hit almost all the stereotypical dieting mistakes in one post...like you were doing it on purpose.

It doesn't matter what you eat (though lower calorie higher nutrient foods will make it a little easier)

It doesn't matter when you eat...first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Eat when you are hungry.

Create a calorie deficit and stick with it. That's all. If you don't like breakfast food, don't eat it...ever. You're free!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    not eating enough calories wont make your body conserve fat thats a bunch of crap. your body if in a deficit too long can result in adaptive thermogenesis. If this woman in the video is eating 3000 calories its because shes very active and her TDEE is high because of that.exercise and building muscle is what boosts metabolism. if you are eating more than your body burns you are going to gain weight/fat regardless.she is making it harder than it needs to be. and cutting macros also mean calories will be less so a possible deficit,so fat will be lost.