Cardio or Weightlifting? Or Both?!

2»

Replies

• jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member

[Jbirdgreen....Do you have any tips of loosing stomach fat? I know its hard to target specific areas but have you found anything or have any advice on what works for you?

I mean my stomach is not flat, so I don't know if my advice is worth anything. That dress is the picture is extremely flattering to camouflaging that area.

However, my stomach has come a LONG way, mostly due from combining cardio and weightlifting. Some exercise I love are Ieg lifts/bicycles because I feel that they target my lower tummy, which is my main trouble area. I also like planks, because they develop muscles that hold your tummy in, up and taught.

I've added running (intervals/tabatas on a treadmill) to my routine and I saw like an instant difference (within a week). I think it's the fat burn, because I do have strong muscles underneath the fat layer that's left.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I'd also like to point out there *are* workouts that have both. I'm big on the PBS show "Classical Stretch" which is focused on strength, flexibility and cardio. But I can't enter it into MFP as "reps" as I would if I did a session of sit ups. But it still counts as building strength.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I absolutely agree that doing both is the best route. I do cardio everyday with walking my dog (if that even counts), and three times/week in the gym. I also lift 3x/week, full body, about an hour each session. I started out just doing tons of cardio and eating less... my weight loss slowed a little when I went to weights 3x/week, but my inches flew off and I look much more fit. I suggest the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It'll give you a ton of good information. I started eating more when I was lifting as well, and my metabolism now really shows it.

Question for you Ercarroll311 and Sardelsa....how do you guys learn/get ideas for weight lifting? I am pretty new at it and sometimes feel as if I am walking around the gym wondering what to do next. I am able to do the machines at the gym totally fine...but as far as free weights I feel like I'm clueless...any help with that?

I would definitely recommend following a program rather than just wandering about. Here is a link to some popular ones:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I did Strong Curves and loved it.
    I also heard great things about New Rules of lifting, Thinner Leaner Stronger and Strong Lifts.
    I learned by watching lots of YouTube videos and filming myself, I am sure you can also get help from a trainer in your gym for the main lifts.

This is what I do. I go 2x a week, and I might putter around in the weight area one more time (solo session) if I feel like it. We do a mix of weighted exercises, bodyweight exercises, and drills.

If you're the disciplined type, you could probably only go to a trainer once or twice, get a good workout and go on your own. I find weights boring (sorry, yall) if I do it solo.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Absolutely do both. For me, I despise cardio like it's a 4 day old tuna sandwich that sat in the sun. Since it's winter I'm "stuck" doing cardio until I can run outside. My ideal routine is - lift heavy in the morning 4 days a week. Run after work. Run long on the weekends. Running doesn't feel like a chore to me - clears my head and allows me to "see the world" Not to mention - it's wicked fun in Chicago when it's nice out! Treadmills are slightly better than cardio machines, but I like speeding up and slowing down at will.

Besides, lifting now will make your body look that much better as each pound of fat comes off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I absolutely agree that doing both is the best route. I do cardio everyday with walking my dog (if that even counts), and three times/week in the gym. I also lift 3x/week, full body, about an hour each session. I started out just doing tons of cardio and eating less... my weight loss slowed a little when I went to weights 3x/week, but my inches flew off and I look much more fit. I suggest the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It'll give you a ton of good information. I started eating more when I was lifting as well, and my metabolism now really shows it.

Question for you Ercarroll311 and Sardelsa....how do you guys learn/get ideas for weight lifting? I am pretty new at it and sometimes feel as if I am walking around the gym wondering what to do next. I am able to do the machines at the gym totally fine...but as far as free weights I feel like I'm clueless...any help with that?

I would definitely recommend following a program rather than just wandering about. Here is a link to some popular ones:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I did Strong Curves and loved it.
    I also heard great things about New Rules of lifting, Thinner Leaner Stronger and Strong Lifts.
    I learned by watching lots of YouTube videos and filming myself, I am sure you can also get help from a trainer in your gym for the main lifts.

This is what I do. I go 2x a week, and I might putter around in the weight area one more time (solo session) if I feel like it. We do a mix of weighted exercises, bodyweight exercises, and drills.

If you're the disciplined type, you could probably only go to a trainer once or twice, get a good workout and go on your own. I find weights boring (sorry, yall) if I do it solo.

Ya, I highly recommend anyone new to lifting take a few sessions with a trainer to ensure proper form.

I took 4 small group classes with a trainer in 2009 and just had another one to get some advice about a lower body workout for my cranky knees and lower back. Great investment!