mayonaise question

I recently got a food scale and between that and this site was surprised by the amount of calories in best foods mayonnaise. I eat a lot of sandwiches and have cut the carbs down by using sandwich thins, pita pockets, and making open faced sandwiches, however the mayonnaise is still a problem.

I found that I tend to use either 0.5 to 1 ounce of mayonnaise (depends on what i'm making and if it's an open faced sandwich). I have tried miracle whip but it is sweet which i don't always want and have just started (today) to try using bolthouse farms yogurt salad dressing instead of mayonnaise but that is expensive and sometimes I just want plain mayonnaise on my sandwich.

Does anybody have ideas on more mayonnaise substitutes or good low fat 'mayonnaise' brands?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    There isn't a reduced fat version? I use a low fat mayonnaise (brand pointless because I'm in the UK!) and can have a generous serving for about 80 calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Have you considered smaller amounts?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Eat less mayo? It sucks, yes. I don't eat mayo myself. If you don't want to use less, what about salad dressing (the not-mayo type, not actual salad dressing). My hubby uses the light version of Compliments salad dressing.

348-190x190.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    You could mix mayo with plain greek yogurt/mustard/blended with cottage cheese or tofu 1:1, which halves your mayo portion while your usual used volume stays the same, effectively lowering the overall calories. If you don't want to buy greek yogurt, strain regular plain yogurt to your desired consistency, and there you have it. Greek yogurt.
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    I make my own by blending cannellini beans (canned) and a piece of pickled pepper, olive oil optional if my calorie allotment will allow. To me it tastes the same for so many calories less.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Kraft makes a mayonnaise with olive oil that has much fewer calories than regular (35 calories for 15 grams/about half an ounce)

This is the calorie count on my low fat mayo.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I cut my mayo with plain (unsweetened! and full fat) greek yogurt, plus currently a smidgen of lemon juice and black pepper. Often some fresh chives or basil or what ever happens to be ready for picking in the garden and on the balcony.

My mix (5g mayo for ~36kcals and 10g yogurt for ~19kcals) comes out at ~55kcals. It doesn't taste quite like traditional mayo anymore, but it also doesn't have that nasty fat-free mayo aftertaste (well, nasty to my taste buds).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I cut my mayo with plain (unsweetened! and full fat) greek yogurt, plus currently a smidgen of lemon juice and black pepper. Often some fresh chives or basil or what ever happens to be ready for picking in the garden and on the balcony.

My mix (5g mayo for ~36kcals and 10g yogurt for ~19kcals) comes out at ~55kcals. It doesn't taste quite like traditional mayo anymore, but it also doesn't have that nasty fat-free mayo aftertaste (well, nasty to my taste buds).

I do the same. I also add Siracha for additional flavor if it goes with what I'm eating.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Kraft makes a mayonnaise with olive oil that has much fewer calories than regular (35 calories for 15 grams/about half an ounce)

That's what I buy.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I'm in the UK and use hellmans mayonnaise. The low fat version is disgusting. I'd rather just use less or a different kind of dressing to be honest.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I like Hellmanns olive oil mayo. 7g on my sandwich is enough and it's only 35 calories.
  • malibu927 wrote: »

This mayo is actually very good.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    I'm a Hellman's (it's Best Food mayo, just East of the Mississippi) mayonnaise kind of person - and no low-fat, fat-free stuff. Would rather eat none at all..... Was a Best Foods person and thought I would Die when we moved East and there wasn't any Best Foods; but, hey that Hellman's mayo label looks familiar ;-) I then upped my usage of mustard or pickles and since I have pretty much given up breads - just don't want to waste my calories on some foods - I use little to no mayo. And that is something coming from a mayo freak like me. I used to eat mayo on my tacos, sandwiches, nachos, in my salsa, on my tater-tots or any kind of potato, on cottage cheese (yup), eggs - well, you get the idea. So, for me, to have given it up for the most part - see, it can be done. I just use my calories on more protein or fats like an avocado.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Have you considered smaller amounts?

This^

I mix my mayo with mustard.....adds a nice tang so I can use less.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    I love mayo - something about a sandwich with a huge slather of mayo.. mmmm. I buy hellmans or kraft light. They taste similar IMO. A serving satisfies my mayo itch, usually. Nothing compares to real mayo - but hey... gotta make sacrifices :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I mostly use mayo (the light stuff) for mixing egg/tuna/tilapia/swai/chicken salad.
  • Veet705
    Veet705 Posts: 13 Member
    It may not be for everyone, but I swapped my mayo out for 1 tbsp of Light Italian dressing. Its got lots of flavor and only 18 cal.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I eat low carb high fat and have full fat whole egg mayo on all the things. S&W or Hellmans are great. 20g is plenty. Usually low fat = more sugar.
  • lorettaeboshell
    lorettaeboshell Posts: 2 Member
    thank you everyone for the great ideas. i will start trying the lower fat mayo's from the store, although the last time I tried they were awful. currently I have mixed some mayo with the creamy garlic dressing I bought yesterday (it was to strong on its own) and will use that