Time to take my life back

Hi everyone my names Cortney I am 26 years old. For the past 5 years I was going to school, working, and taking care of my amazing mother who was fighting cancer. I'd say slowly overtime I stppped putting myself first and letting myself go. Within this last year and a half of taking care of my mom as she got to her worst I really let myself go. Two weeks ago my mother passed away. Now it's just me myself and I. It's my time to take control of my life and focus on myself. I jumped on the scale this morning knowing I had gained weight but was shocked to see I was at the heaviest I've ever been in my life, 330 lbs. I really need to work on myself, get healthy. Looking for support as I start this journey.

Replies

• Love_k89
    Love_k89 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi Courtney sorry to hear about your mom.
    I too had a lot happen in my live where I just let go of myself . start taking care of everyone around me. I get on the little evil scale the other day. I was so upset with myself to see that I never lost. I'm at 260 at the age of 27. This is my too the biggest I ever been.
    We can be support friends if you like too.
    I always end up giving up on myself. Not this time. I have to be strong and make this change.
  • tena1028
    tena1028 Posts: 80 Member
    Hi Cortney. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I can't image how hard that was for you to go through. You are doing good to take the first step and recognize it is time to take care of yourself. I have lost 56 lbs since starting here on July 1st. I have 19 more to go. I am on every day and very dedicated, so add me as a friend if you would like some support on your journey. XO
  • JoJosAnatomymfp
    JoJosAnatomymfp Posts: 178 Member
    Sorry for your loss. Best of luck on this journey. You are more than welcome to add me if you like.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    First of all, HUGS!! I know what it's like to care for a parent and, well... lose them in the end. Take it one step at a time, one day at a time. This is a journey not a race and we're all here to support you. You can do this honey, you've got this! ;)
  • dominette3168
    dominette3168 Posts: 36 Member
    Cortney,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I've seen the damage caretaking can do to a body. My mother has spent the last 5 years taking care of my father since his first stroke (5 years this month). She has gained so much weight. Remember, you did what you did for who you loved. Now it's your time to live! My personal story is one of years of spousal abuse leading to a divorce, diagnosis of PTSD/anxiety/depression, and 35-40 lbs gained in less than a year. Tomorrow I turn 36 and it's time. I would love to go on this journey with you, I learned in my pregnancies that a support group is insanely important and having the close connections with those on the same journey make it easier and much less scary.

Steph